P0 Bug: Preset messages not synching

I just got a Mini 2 2 days ago and already spent +4h trying to debug the issues

When I edit the Preset Messages on explore.garmin.com - Messages, the new preset message do not sync with my Mini 2, or at least they don't sync as they should.

I created 3 message on the Explore web page. 

Message 1:  "#1 I am Good"

Message 2:  "#2 returning home"

Message 3: "#3 Delayed but Ok"

My phones (I tried both Android and iPhone app), shows these 3 message (and messages are in the right slot)

BUT when I look on the Mini 2 this is what I see

Preset 1: "#2 returning home"

Preset 2: "#3 Delayed but ok"

Preset 3 "Preset Message Content 3"

So in my case:

Message 1 did not sync

Message 2 sync as Preset #1

Message 3 sync as Preset #2

And Preset #3 is the "Default non initialized message"

What is really bad here is that the App has NO IDEAS that the sync was not performed appropriately. The UI on the APP displays the message it believes was sent,  but the Mini 2 will sent the message that is configure on the unit

THis is potentially very dangerous as someone my have configure message 1 as "I need Help" and Message 2 as "I am Ok".

If they use their App on their phone and sent Message 1 ( I need help), they will see on their phone that "I need help" was sent, but in reality the Mini 2 will send "I am ok"

THis is really bad!

Top Replies

All Replies

• Hello Please make sure to sync from both the devices tab and the account tab in the app. Syncing the Garmin Explore App

• See Garmin-Leslie's post in this thread. Be sure you sync BOTH sides. Sync the account tab first - this is the one that syncs the app and the web site. Then from the devices tab, which is what syncs app and device.

Although it is confusing, it is OK to just ignore the displayed text on the device. Preset messages are identified by the number (1, 2, or 3). When you send one of these, the device does not send text at all. I JUST sends the number. The servers send whatever text THEY see for that message. So you're going to get what explore.garmin.com shows for the number in question.

You can easily try that for yourself.

If you are sure you've synced both sides, you can try the following. Make a minor change to EACH of the preset messages (for example, add a period or an exclamation point to the end) at explore.garmin.com. Repeat both sides of the sync. The change to each message SHOULD ensure that all 3 of them get sent to app to device.

If that still does not get the text to the device, open a support ticket.

• I'm having the same issue with my device.  Synching in the order provided does not seem to help. 

Not even sure what I'm sending out on my device at this point, they are not what I have specified in the explore app.

• It does not matter what you see on the device, or any of the random mobile apps.  The ONLY thing that matters is what you see on the web at explore.garmin.com. The text you see there is what gets sent. When the device sends a preset, ALL it sends via satellite is the message number (1, 2, or 3). The text is generated on the servers.

This is not to say that changes from any supported place need not work. They should work. If you are sure you have sync-d as described, open a support ticket.

Also note that the text which is sent is what you see at explore.garmin.com at the time you send the message from the device. If there are pending sync's running around in the weeds, the text you see on the web site might change at any time. This is another reason to open a ticket.

• I ended up reaching to support. 

The problem(s) was reproduced on both Android and iOS

Case ID is:

Ref: 23164685K1 Q#:1003700

• just side note:

I had same issue currently with 66i devices. while it is correct that the only relevant content is the one on the website, it is confusing for users. To cure this, I had to factory reset the unit and sync all again, then all was as expected.

• It looks like any accounts created after the 27th September can no longer change the 3 x preset messages from their default text they are now known as check-in messages as per this article from Garmin, I hope this helps.

support.garmin.com/.../

• @Northhumberland_Andy

but in such case you can not even edit the preset texts

• My account was create way before Sept 27.

Support came back saying 
    "... a resolution is being worked on and will be implemented into the application. This will hopefully fix the issue you are having with preset messages appearing in the wrong order"

Ref: 23194753K1

• Got an email from Garmin support on my case:

"Our team has done some testing on our end and believe the issue with preset messages not syncing correctly should be fixed. Please delete and redownload your app and sync through Bluetooth again. Keep me updated on the progress of this. Have a great day!"

They don't mention what is the new version of the App, but I assume the most recent from October 31st 2022 point of view!