P0 Bug: Preset messages not synching

I just got a Mini 2 2 days ago and already spent +4h trying to debug the issues

When I edit the Preset Messages on explore.garmin.com - Messages, the new preset message do not sync with my Mini 2, or at least they don't sync as they should.

I created 3 message on the Explore web page. 

Message 1:  "#1 I am Good"

Message 2:  "#2 returning home"

Message 3: "#3 Delayed but Ok"

My phones (I tried both Android and iPhone app), shows these 3 message (and messages are in the right slot)

BUT when I look on the Mini 2 this is what I see

Preset 1: "#2 returning home"

Preset 2: "#3 Delayed but ok"

Preset 3 "Preset Message Content 3"

So in my case:

Message 1 did not sync

Message 2 sync as Preset #1

Message 3 sync as Preset #2

And Preset #3 is the "Default non initialized message"

What is really bad here is that the App has NO IDEAS that the sync was not performed appropriately. The UI on the APP displays the message it believes was sent,  but the Mini 2 will sent the message that is configure on the unit

THis is potentially very dangerous as someone my have configure message 1 as "I need Help" and Message 2 as "I am Ok".

If they use their App on their phone and sent Message 1 ( I need help), they will see on their phone that "I need help" was sent, but in reality the Mini 2 will send "I am ok"

THis is really bad!

Top Replies

All Replies

• I suppose my point was that with the setup I have, I changed all the Presets on Explore WEB, those changes visually synced properly down to the apps on my iPhone and my device, and I then transmitted each of those Presets, and they were received correctly and to the correct destination without any issues. 

However, I still have not upgraded or converted my Presets to Checkins.

• However, I still have not upgraded or converted my Presets to Checkins.

do not do this!!! you will loose functionality of the presets completely

• No Progress, even with the"fix"

the Pre-set message on the web-site do to sync at the right "location" on the App and do not sync at the right place on the In Reach 2

I'm thinking that what is really happening is that the Pre-set messages are sent from the device (InReach mini 2) with full content (not a vector saying Pre-set message 1, but the full content "I am running late")

The job of the website is to capture your custom preset,

The job of the App is act as a conduit between the Website and the Garmin InReach, to sync the message from the website into the InReach Mini

The app can also help send the message but it just tells the InReach mini send Pre-set message #1 and the InReach Mini will send the FULL content of ITS Pre-Set Message #1 (what it has in memory about pre-set #1) . it is not going to send a vector to the back-end gateway. 

The Reason this probably work like that would be:

1) It increase friction. Garmin wants to sell "messages" and pre-set are free, so by forcing you to write the pre-set message using their Website. it  gives them a "guarantee" that if you need to customize the message while you are out there, that you can't use pre-set

2) It is probably a lot easier to implement. I think that modifying the backed that reside on the Iridium gateway is too much work or too risky . So they have the InReach Mini send the full messages so that it talks directly to the Iridium backend that can already do email & TS-23 SMS

THe way to test this theory would be to Scan the InReach mini flash memory to find the string of character of the text that define the pre-set message and change it ON THE DEVICE (InReach Mini) and sent that pre-set message.

If what is receive IS the modified character string, then you know that preset message are stored and set completely from the device!

The pre-set messge is probably stored as some JSON payload somewhere. It might be encrypted, but it the idea is to just test the theory you just need to modify the message (even if it becomes garbled)

• I'm thinking that what is really happening is that the Pre-set messages are sent from the device (InReach mini 2) with full content (not a vector saying Pre-set message 1, but the full content "I am running late")

please all who have this idea, this is not correct

preset or checking messages are a special function which does not send any clear text nor recipients addresses etc. This all is saved on the garmin server and is sent from there.

So please stop propagating such fake infos

THe way to test this theory would be to Scan the InReach mini flash memory to find the string of character of the text that define the pre-set message and change it ON THE DEVICE (InReach Mini) and sent that pre-set message.

no need to test it, but what ever is stored (and displayed) on the device itself (any inreach device) has nothing to do with what is actually delivered by the garmin server

The reason for preset is that it transports very few bytes over Iridium. In the current personal accounts this might be kind free or better say included in the basic charge, but if you have a byte charged account, exactly 8 bytes are deducted from your amount regardless what the text is and how many recipients you set up. Not all 8 bytes are needed for just sending 1 , 2, 3, but if location should be sent, we can have it in compressed form delivered as well.

• Wow this is crazy.  I'm having a lot of trouble trying to set this up to on mine too.  I only just bought the unit today after reading many riviews on how great it is.  My impression at the moment is that it should be scrapped, its not a good unit at all.  My old spot 3 didn't do half the things this thing is meant to do, but always easy to setup, not like this ***

• Open a support ticket.

But do be aware that what appears on the device has nothing whatever to do with the text that is sent. 

Also, be careful not to confuse preset and quick text messages. Text for presets comes from whatever is on the server. Although it's confusing, the text which appears on the device is irrelevant. OTOH, text for quick text messages DOES come from the device. You have the opportunity to edit quick text before sending it.

• For anyone else who’s had the issue. After few emails backward and forward with Garmin they were able to fix it for me. 

We made a correction on your account to address the issue with your preset messages being out of order and not sending the correct message. You may need to re-setup your preset messages on the Explore website before syncing again and testing. Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.”

• This reinforces the idea that you should open a support ticket if you have this problem.

• Had a similar issue today with my brand new InReach, that changes to the preset messages wouldn't instantly sync to the device.
    While I also tried to sync via the Account and Devices tabs from within the Explore-App (iOS), the solution was as simple as this:

1. Open the Messenger-App (instead of Explore)
    2. Wait for less than 10s

It seems to speed up things when killing the app and relaunching it, so that the online data is being synchronized. It will then forward the new information to the device. No need to exit the Check In menu on the InReach. The update will directly be reflected.

This way, the messages are instantly updated according to my online changes and the recipients are also set correctly.

Hope this helps along and also solves your issues with mismatching syncs.