Bad experience in big trekking with sending points and detailed track "deactivated"

I just came from a trip to Morocco. In total 13 days of effective trekking. I discovered on the way back (unfortunately for me), that if you activate the sending of points (every 10 minutes), even if you have the detailed track activated, it really takes several points almost together every 10 minutes , making a terrible straight line between those groups of points and the next one, 10 minutes later.

Let's see if I explain it in another way: I always deactivate the sending of points (I have the Safety plan) and activate the detailed track. That combination works perfectly and the track is very detailed and I already mentioned that it is VERY accurate (compared to my mobile).

For this trip, I upgraded the contract to Recreation (good experience changing the plan within the contract). Since they were free, after a few days of trekking, I decided to set sending points every 10 minutes (while keeping the detailed track). My unpleasant surprise on the way back is that, from that moment on, there is no longer a detailed track, but straight lines that join points separated by 10 minutes of walking.

I think it's a Garmin bug. I add that I am a technological person very used to handling maps, tracks, etc. In fact, I am an editor of OpenStreetMap and with those detailed tracks I wanted to introduce new data and corrections in those Moroccan routes (Toubkal and Mgoun).

As for the rest of the experience with the Mini 2, wonderful. All the messages were sent, received, even in the Mgoun canyon, with very, very deep areas... it gives a lot of peace of mind to go through those areas without coverage.

• Yup.  I meant to reply to  but replied to you instead :-)

• I've got it by the tail but it's wriggling. I did manage to prise out another contact who wanted to know what software I was using to analyze the tracks and what the inReach subscription was so it appeared to be heading in a better direction. Until a third person popped up today simply wanting "a photo of the issue occurring". A bit peculiar given it's been made clear there is more than one issue, and everything appears OK until the files are looked at.

So I've completed a more detailed comparison test today against a 66i and sent all that through including tracks, plots, report - and a nice photo of the device - and requested they confirm it's all now being sent through to the product engineers.  All the emails have the same reference number so a case does appear to remain open. 

FYI I summarized the issues in the report as I see them here:

1. High Detail will not record in high detail if inReach Tracking is enabled and Auto Track is on.
    2. Standard detail activity logging inexplicably switches between Standard 10min interval and High Detail without user intervention.
    3. Standard detail activity recording will not honor the inReach Tracking interval.
    4. Standard Detail logging will log multiple points through a 20 second window at each interval, not just a single point.
  • I've come to the conclusion that Garmin Support has become shockingly inept, very sad indeed.

After months of following up and resending the same detailed information plus providing simple steps Garmin could take to replicate, I've just been honored with yet another groundbreaking request...this time to reset the device and update to the latest version.

Garmin were previously advised on a number of occasions of the device firmware version including pointing out it was at the latest version, and the reset clearly didn't magically re-write the buggy code.

I'm gobsmacked, Garmin-Leslie if you chance across this I'm hoping you may be able to escalate to an appropriate point within Garmin. It's not a good look.

• After asking again for an update on the case Garmin replied......but only with a request for proof of purchase.

• After reviewing the case they created for you they are moving forward with replacing your device. I have seen a few different issues with tracking on the mini 2 but we have to look at each one individually to dig into what exactly is happening on each device. There are many different things that could lead into tracking issues so it is important we work individually with each customer. If we find that there are similarities in each case we then are able to escalate them and see if we can find a solution. We appreciate you working with us to find a solution. 

• I sincerely apologize as I accidentally deleted your message in reading things on here. I am going to be looking into this a bit further as I know I have a case still open regarding an issue like this... 

What you had posted... 

I have just been contacted by email from Garmin Australia who are only offering a refund. Despite a lengthy follow-up phone call from myself, they advised the US development team are refusing to pursue any further investigation of the issues.

And unbelievably, the basis for this that was relayed in the email is because I have "completed a reset and acquired GPS under clear view of sky, there is nothing more to be troubleshooted on the unit."

I feel very sorry for the local representative who understood and was very professional and trying hard to help but clearly caught in the middle and obviously very embarrassed. 

What on earth is going on in Garmin?

• I strongly advise anybody experiencing the high detail activity tracking issue to also formally report the problem to your local Garmin Support. 

Garmin have contacted me by telephone again and made it clear Garmin has no intention to spend any further time on the issue unless they receive a large number of reports from other people.

This includes a refusal to even follow the simple steps I provided that would enable them to easily replicate the issue there in 20 minutes and see for themselves.

Garmin support today no longer resolves technical issues, it only mitigates high levels of customer noise. 

If you have been impacted, please help and log a case with Garmin and add to the noise required.

• Today I received a brand-new replacement InReach Mini 2.

In less than 10 minutes of testing it was clear that the High Detail Activity Tracking product defect remains and is clearly widespread across the existing device population.

Doing two identical passes of a test loop, simply turning Auto Track "On" with no other changes resulted in the device failing to record the High Detail Activity Track that it did correctly record on the previous pass with Auto Track "Off".

Leslie, what needs to happen to get this product defect fixed?