Does the Mini 2 have GNSS Dual-frequency?

I suppose not, that it only receives the classic bands of the GNSS constellations. I have a mobile that does receive the L5 (GPS) and E5 (Galileo) bands and has approximately double the accuracy and solves some reception problems in complex environments (theoretically it is much higher, but in practice it is not for non-professional GNSS receivers) ).

It's a minor geek-question, but I haven't seen it in any spec :)

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to Eric

Since you are pushing the issue, I would like to hear it from you, in reference to the inReach Mini 2. Please elaborate and explain. 

• Many replies (including Leslie-Gamin's) have been deleted in this thread. I don't know if it was due to the moderation of the administrators (strange, because all the answers were kind and polite as in the rest of the threads) or due to some technical error

• The post to which you refer is still on this thread. Not sure what you believe has been deleted. Neither volunteer moderators nor Garmin employees delete content because it is critical of Garmin (not that your previous post falls into that category).

• You are right and nothing has been removed, thanks

As curiosity: The cause of my confusion has been 2 things: I read (without much care) that a colleague said: "Apparently garmin forum police have been deleting my comments?" and that added to the fact that my original question was in the thread header and then the first answers were missing, I thought they had been deleted. I did not know that the thread had pagination and maintains a fixed header and the messages, instead of being on the same page, are paginated, but not like in all forums, indicating the page number (1, 2, 3,... .) but with a few simple <> signs.

Well solved the mystery, thanks! (although it is still not clear to me if it has double frequency or not...Leslie says yes, but I think not)

• A few of my responses here are missing now :-|  Maybe not intentional...but they are gone.  I responded to Advard earlier in the thread about my experience and why L5 on GPS is critical for me.  Plus a few other responses...gone, even if I paginate through the clunky interface here.

• Former Member

All thread replies are automatically forwarded to my email. I’ve not seen your post.

• Well, lets try again then...The secondary frequency in GPS allows way more accurate and faster homing on GPS locations in difficult situations with lower power than multi-constellation.  The L5 frequency will allow GPS to work in deep valleys and wooded areas due to higher power signal.  I travel a lot in these types of situations and good GPS is critical if I get stuck in an emergency situation and the signal cannot lock for good positioning for rescue.  Multi-satellite constellation sucks down battery and isn't coordinated like the L1 & L5 frequencies on GPS.  I have had the mini refuse to lock on to signal many times in these wooded areas and deep valleys.

• Former Member

Thanks.

And just to be clear, your experience with insufficient or delayed GPS position acquisition is based on a GNSS enabled inReach Mini 2?

• Original Mini and instinct with multi-constellation.  Haven't gotten a mini 2 yet and don't have interest until I see L5 support.

• Maybe on inreach Mini 3, why not? this is marketing.