Coordinates with Preset Messages using inReach remote

I am on the SOS plan and tracking send interval is set to "never". "Activity Recording" is set to "Normal". It seems these two settings will power the GPS chip up every 10 minutes to get a fix and store it as a point. If I want to send a preset message with coordinates the units tells me generally bad signal (as the satellite fix is expired) and asks if I want to wait for better reception. If I agree, after the next GPS fix is acquired the message gets send with coordinates. All great and perfect to save battery life.

However, if under the same circumstances I use my Gamrin Instinct watch as an inReach remote to send the preset message, it always gets send is right away without coordinates. The choice to wait for the next fix to add coordinates to the message should be a setting that is missing.

I did set "Activity Recording" to "High Detail" and as the GPS chip is always on preset messages from the inReach remote then generally get the coordinates attached. However, this wastes a lot of battery.

Does anyone know a work around to ensure preset messages always get send with coordinates?

• The Mini 2 should send location with the preset messages if the sms message configuration is set correctly. However, with poor GPS signal the inreach will send the message without location included. inReach Message Sent but Did Not Include Location or Location Is Inaccurate. I tested this as well on my Mini 2 and Fenix 6 solar, with tracking off you are correct it does not send location and this is not as intended. I then tested with my Montana 750i and Fenix 6 solar and it worked as intended with tracking off. I am going to send you a private message and gather more information from you so I can create a ticket on this issue.  

• , let me know if I can help experiment. I'll hopefully do another deep mountain hike Thursday (weather permitting).

• I use my Gamrin Instinct

Using either an Instinct Solar or f7 as the remote, the coordinates are not included with the pre-set, but if Explore App commands Mini2 to send a preset, the coordinates are included.

• We apologize that your messages sent using the IR remote and Mini 2 do not included location. We are currently investigating this issue and at this time we recommend either sending your presets using only the Mini 2 or the Explore app.

Additionally, with the 4 hour send interval turned on, messages will include location when sent using the inReach Remote.  

Getting Started With Tracking on an inReach Mini 2

• We are currently investigating this issue

Thanks for the feedback.

• Garmin-Leslie,

Thanks for looking into this issue.

Right now when I have GPS detail set to high and tracking set to on (but not auto-transmitting) - Mini 2 seems to be sending coordinates when presets are sent via remote.  I'm hiking later this week again and will see how this effects battery life in the cold. 

I'll keep watching this thread to see what you find out.

arockclimber

• Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. I was able to get the remote working in the "lab" but results were intermittent during a Thursday mountain hike and a Saturday neighborhood ride. On the hike, messages sent from phone included location, but only the first preset sent via the watch did. The rest went through, but without location. On the ride, I sent every message twice--from phone and watch. Only the phone messages included the map links. Additionally, some of the remote messages were delayed by up to half an hour (transmitted in the same batch as the next messages sent by phone).

It was a great hike though:

• I did a hike this weekend with my new Epix + inReach Mini 2 and am noticing the same issue, where coordinates are not included when I sent a message from the Epix watch via inReach Remote to the inReach Mini 2.

My use case is I typically have treated my inReach Mini's as an "emergency" device, meaning both the InReach and InReach 2 are set to the most minimal tracking settings (i.e. off where possible), and I only use the device to send preset messages manually once or twice a day.  It is important that these messages include the Lat/Long as my friends and family use that as "last known location" in case they don't hear from me again.  I also keep these minimal tracking settings in order to ensure the longest battery life on 4-5 day trips without the need for an extra battery backup.

My previous setup was: Fenix 6X + inReach Mini (Gen 1)
    In this scenario the inReach Mini always appeared to wait to retrieve the Lat/Long before it would send the message from the watch.  If I was in a canyon it could sometimes take 15-20min for the message to send that I had initiated from my watch.  (I would know the message had sent by the sound being played.)

Current setup: Epix + inReach Mini 2
    Yesterday I noticed any preset message I sent from my Epix watch would send quickly within a minute or two.  When I returned home I noticed that both my e-mail and sms messages sent did NOT include the Lat/Long.  The e-mail did include a link to MapShare, however clicking it did not provide a push pin with my location.  Previous test messages I had sent from home directly on my Mini 2 DID include the Lat/Long and a working MapShare link.  

In both setups I have all 3 options in the Explore web site checked/enabled:

• Include my latitude and longitude as text in the message.
    • Include a link to an online map with the location of my message (not a MapShare map link).
    • Include my name as a signature (otherwise, your name is not shown to the recipient).

Hopefully this helps with details on a use case and my experience so far.

Ryan

• This issue seems to be fixed.  Coordinates included with Preset messages using either a fenix7 or Instinct2 as a remote.