Coordinates with Preset Messages using inReach remote

I am on the SOS plan and tracking send interval is set to "never". "Activity Recording" is set to "Normal". It seems these two settings will power the GPS chip up every 10 minutes to get a fix and store it as a point. If I want to send a preset message with coordinates the units tells me generally bad signal (as the satellite fix is expired) and asks if I want to wait for better reception. If I agree, after the next GPS fix is acquired the message gets send with coordinates. All great and perfect to save battery life.

However, if under the same circumstances I use my Gamrin Instinct watch as an inReach remote to send the preset message, it always gets send is right away without coordinates. The choice to wait for the next fix to add coordinates to the message should be a setting that is missing.

I did set "Activity Recording" to "High Detail" and as the GPS chip is always on preset messages from the inReach remote then generally get the coordinates attached. However, this wastes a lot of battery.

Does anyone know a work around to ensure preset messages always get send with coordinates?

• Only thing I can think of is not to use the remote to send preset messages. Everything else I can think of which forces the Mini to acquire a fix requires you to handle the Mini anyhow. So you might as well just send the preset from the device.

I surprises me that "normal" recording interval only records a point every 10 minutes. That would be considerably farther apart than would be typical with regular handhelds. OTOH, it does conserve battery which is paramount on the Minis.

You can submit an enhancement request for the remote functionality here:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

Would not hold my breath waiting for this enhancement. There are a huge number of devices which provide remote control for a variety iR devices. Seems like this would be a big project.

• Thanks for the tip. I submitted the request. I think it could be a simple option in the settings of the device. "Always wait for GPS fix before sending preset message" or "Ask"

• Ugh, another bummer for the Mini 2...maybe I should have just kept my Gen 1?

I figured this out today as well.  I sewed a neoprene cozy/insulator for my new Mini 2 to use in winter weather.  Stuffed a handwarmer in the bottom near the battery, all day out in single digit winter conditions and it worked like a champ.  Sent presets with my Fenix 7x Sapphire all day...but none of them have coordinates attached?

Really Garmin, the point of a "remote control" for the Mini is to NOT have to futz with it directly...but there is no option for sending coordinates with preset messages via remote control.

Did they not field test this thing with actual users?  Why would there not be an option for default "wait for signal" with remote messages?

The cynical part of me thinks they're basically trying to make it inconvenient enough that you throw your hands up and just pay the extra $13 a month for the recreational service plan with auto tracking points?  Especially when you consider they moved preset messages further down in the device menu which makes them harder to use while on the move.  And now this remote "non-feature" that doesn't attach coordinates.

Just make the basic safety plan frustrating enough to use the device with, and more people will fork over more $ for the mid-tier service plan - kind of what it feels like right now!

Guess I'll go add another "request feature" on the ideas page?

• My problem might not be exactly the same as yours. But deep in the mountains at 6,200ft last week I tried to type a message with my location and plan, as a test. The message went through, but without the location. The sun was really bright reflecting off the snow. It was hard to see my phone screen with my sunglasses on. So, I missed that I needed to click the location icon next to the compose-message box. If you do that, the recipient gets a link that opens Mapshare with a message pointing to the precise location. D'Oh! 

For Preset Messages, that location icon is on the top right instead. On mine it was off and I needed to tap to activate. Then it worked fine, too.

HOWEVER, I am having the same frustration that you reported with the "remote" control from my fenix 6sPro. When I tell it to send a preset, even with the location activated on the phone app, the message arrives with a link to Mapshare, but without the exact coordinates. This happens even if share location is activated in all places on the phone--and it appears the message is going through the phone to the inReach.

But AHA, it does work from the watch if you make two additional changes in the Explore Web app: first, if I make sure Mapshare is checked in the edit window for the Preset message--and second, on the Account page, under SMS Message Configuration, check "Include my latitude and longitude as text in the message" and "Include a link to an online map with the location of my message."

Hopefully somebody can try replicating my experiment to confirm the results?

Also, try the watch widget called IridiumWhere. It's a compass-like app that shows you where the closest satellites are, so you can make sure the sky is clear between you and that direction (eg, tonight at home I needed to step out the front door instead of the back, where the messages weren't sending).

• Hello Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I checked out my explore account online, and it was set up as you noted above.  Presets with Mapshare turned on and "include lat/lon as text in message" selected as well.

The explore app on my phone did not have the message "icon" next to the text box selected to send location, but not sure how that would affect the Mini when using the watch as a remote?

I'm going for a hike this AM, so I'll make sure the icon on the phone app is selected and try using the watch as a remote again, and maybe I'll have some luck?

I'll let you know either way, and thanks for the tip!

• Steve,

No joy on the remote and coordinates.

I re-paired everything and configured as you stated above.

Started hiking, used my Fenix 7x Sapphire to send a couple of messages, no lat/lon included.

Sent a preset from the phone app, DID get lat/lon with message.

Figured maybe that would make rest of remote messages send with Fenix come with lat/lon...nope NO lat/lon included in messages from remote, even after using phone app and sending them with option on a few times first.

Steve, are you using auto-tracking perhaps, are you on the middle tier service plan?

I'm on the cheapest/basic or "SOS" plan, wondering if having auto-tracking and auto-send coordinates turned on has anything to do with the way the remote feature is behaving?

Thanks!

• Hi arockclimber, I think we are all having the same problem. If you are not worried about battery life than set your "Activity Recording" to "High Detail". That way the GPS chip stays on and you should be able to send preset messages with the remote with coordinates from your Fenix watch. 

At least that is my theory.

• , Hmm., can you help us out?

I'm on the Annual/Contract Recreation Plan" but that shouldn't make any difference, since the preset messages are free on any plan. Auto-tracking is on. (I added 50mi to last week's track driving home. Oops. Gotta remember to turn on/off at the trailhead.) I also don't think that should matter, as I assume the device would access location when message sent. You said you duplicated my settings. Including the web account page? Here is the bottom of that screen for me:

• Hey Steve and DieterFass,

Steve - I did have everything on the Explore webpage set up as you indicated in your reply, Mini still was not sending lat/lon with watch remote preset messges.

DieterFass - Think you've got the solution.  Testing in the backyard - with tracking on (but not transmitting those points since I'm on the lowest tier service) PLUS having the tracking detail set to high = Mini 2 now sending lat/lon with Fenix 7 used as a remote.  

I guess the next question - I'll have to do some real world testing to see how much tracking being set to ON and detail set to HIGH effects battery life under a canopy when I'm hiking all day?

Thank you both for your help and ideas!

When I have a chance later this week to hike again, I'll see what battery drain is like with this set up and let you know.

Thanks,

arockclimber

• YES! I looked and tracking set to high, too (tho transmitting).