Messenger Send Tracks Inside a bag?

Hi,

I travel by bicycle with an inReach Messenger, and so far I've always attached it to my handlebar bag (obviously secured with a carabiner). My fear is that at some point during a rough ride, the inReach might detach, and I won't notice.

Question: Can I keep the Messenger in the handlebar bag or in the bag on the frame? Is the satellite signal strong enough for tracking? If I think about cell phones, the phone rings even if it is in the bag.

Thank you.

• The Messenger has a great antenna, so I would not assume any probs with reception, if you put it a handlebar or frame bag. I normally put it in the top bag of my backpack and haven’t noticed any reception probs.

• There are two issues here - GPS signal strength and iR communications. You should not have any difficulty with GPS in a handlebar or frame bag.

For iR communication, the handlebar bag would be preferable to a frame bag. Messenger does have a great antenna system. But your body does a fine job of blocking signals. The handlebar bag is less likely to be a problem in that respect.

• I received an official response from Garmin support that I think is the best and in line with what was written by.

For situations like this my best suggestion is to test it with your own gear. The inReach device is designed to have a clear view of the sky. It does not have the same signal strength as our cell phones. While I have had it send things through cloth bags, it is definitely slower than without the bag and sometimes it may struggle to send at all.

I do not have experience with the Messenger on a bike or in your handlebar bag and there is not a great way for me to recreate this scenario to give you a direct yes or no. That is why I suggest doing some test for yourself by placing your device in this scenario and trying to send messages while riding.