Problem connecting wifi

Trying to connect my 66i to my home wifi.

It's WPA2 protected..when I go into the wifi network list on the 66i, I see the network but it lists "unsecured" below it.

If I click on it to connect, it just says "Connecting to "xxx" - Cancel" and stays like that until I do cancel.

What's happening, presumably the 66i should see my network is password protected, and ask me for a password before trying to connect?

• Your WiFi network is set up for WPA-PSK (personal) as opposed to WPA Enterprise? I have no experience with Enterprise authentication and the 66i.

Your WiFi network is broadcasting it's SSID? (I assume so since your post implies that the 66i can identify the network. Just asking to be thorough.)

You are attempting to connect to the network via Main menu > Setup > Wi-Fi > Add Network? You might try disabling and re-enabling WiFi there to see if it refreshes the information in the list on the Add Network screen.

If this is a new 66i, have you updated the firmware to the current release? If not, you should do so using Garmin Express.

Garmin Express also offers an option to set up WiFi on the device. This should not be necessary for minimal WiFi functionality. In particular, it is not required to connect to the network. However, there are some functions which do not work correctly unless you set it up this way. You might try setting it up this way to see if the PC detects the network correctly. (Although I'm not sure what will happen given that the network is already partially set up on the device.)

• Thanks for the reply.

My wifi is indeed set-up as WPA Personal and is broadcasting its SSID.

I tried to add the network "on device" as per your steps above...with no luck.

I've now tried adding it via Garmin Express too, now the network shows up in the known network list on device, but again, if I ask it to connect, it just hangs on the "connecting" dialog.

I can see on my wifi admin page that the device never connects or obtains an IP.

Bit lost now on what else to try...firmware is up to date.

• For what it's worth, some Garmin devices do not play well with the "smart connect" feature on the router. This screenshot is from a Netgear router.

• That reminds me. I am not sure about the 66i. But come Garmin devices require a 2.4GHz access point. If your router is capable of both 2.4 and 5 GHz operation, be sure you choose a mode which enables 2.4GHz. See if that helps.

• Hi , the following articles from our Support Center may be helpful for your situation:

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Connection on Outdoor Handhelds

Understanding Wi-Fi security: SSID, WEP, WPA, WPA2, TKIP, and AES

Using a Wi-Fi Device on a Captive Portal

If it still isn't working according to those guidelines, please send me a PM so I can assist you further.

• I just bought the 66i and honestly for what I paid I expect better. My WiFi isn't connecting and actual satelite images (I think you guys call colour aerial aren't showing). When I was testing the share  map link so my family can see where I am was not connecting even though all the settings were proper. I'm getting frustrated and pissed off hahahaha. 

• Most of the potential gotcha-s for WiFi connection are listed in my post earlier in this thread. To recap, be sure that your access point has the 2.4GHz band enabled. Be sure it is broadcasting the SSID. Try disabling and re-enabling WiFi on the 66i. If nothing else works, try using Garmin Express to set up WiFi on the device.

Note that Garmin-Andrew is no longer the proper Garmin contact for iR forum questions. The listed support articles may still be helpful.  might be able to help. OTOH, the forums are not an official support channel. The most reliable way to get support is to open a support ticket.

The 66i includes a subscription for BirdsEye satellite (aerial photos). However, there is no imagery on the device to start with. You must download the imagery for selected areas in order to use it. This requires a work WiFi connection, so you should address that issue first.

The business about MapShare is somewhat confusing. In order for other to see where you are, you need to enable MapShare. Do this via the Social tab on your account at explore.garmin.com. Once enabled, you should at least review the settings via the MapShare Settings and Filter MapShare Data buttons on the Social tab.

In order for tracks to show up on the MapShare page, you must BE tracking on the device. That is, you must be sending track points via the Iridium network. More detailed "logged" points will not show up until you sync the device via the Explore mobile app. (The more detailed logged points are not necessary to pinpoint your location.)

Messages you send do not show on the MapShare page unless you address them to MapShare.

Sending the MapShare link just sends the link. It does not do anything else.

• It took me a bit but I figured it out.  I also used Garmin Express to update my device.  I downloaded Garmin Connect and paired my Garmin device to my phone.  I went to More, Garmin Devices, selected my device, device settings, Wi-Fi networks, Add a network (do not select your network if it shows up - remove it if its added), Add a Network Manually, type in Network Name, select security - I guessed WPA, enter in your password.  Then it worked.  If I selected my network it showed up as unsecured and didn't give me the option to enter in my password.

• I had the same problem that you described, and was totally lost. I used your recommended solution and it worked perfectly. I never in a million years would have figured it out on my own, so thanx for posting.