Creating waypoints problems

I have been creating waypoints. I have kept the native name on some and renamed others. The waypoints show up in the waypoint manager. Some waypoints do not show up from the waypoint manager using show map or transfer in the gpx file. 

• I collected waypoints again today. I have learned that the 66 processes very slow so I need to wait until the waypoint is created and shown on the screen after I save the point. Otherwise it seems that the waypoint is not written to the waypoint manager and gpx file correctly. I viewed yesterday’s gpx text file and found that many of the points I took were written with the same coordinates. It would seem that the waypoint manager got confused by creating another waypoint before the previous waypoint was saved completely.

• If you can duplicate this, please call tech support and report the problem.

• I've run across the same problem. Some of my waypoints are misplaced by several hundred feet.

• I had the same problem - miles off.  Apparently new to this unit is that the waypoint records the coordinates of where the cursor on the map is located, not where you are standing.  So if you are on the map screen and move the cursor and then go to record a waypoint, it records the cursor location and not yours.  This is so people can record a waypoint in a location other than where they are standing. If this is the case, your track file should be accurate but the waypoint off because it is not a receiving problem.

You have to use the QUIT button before you use MARK waypoint.  The instructions don't tell you about this change.

It took many calls to support and MUCH frustration before someone explain this to me.

I hope this helps.

• This behavior is by design. When you are panning the map, the waypoint is marked at the location of the pointer. As you say, it is intended to allow you to mark a remote location, presumably with the intent of navigating there.

This is not new behavior. It is common to all Garmin handheld GPS units, as well as those of other manufacturers.