Komoot and Wikiloc not syncing with 66i

I have a new 66i.

I have updated the firmware to 5.0 on the 66i. 

I have successfully connected my 66i with my iPhone via Bluetooth and the Garmin Connect app, Explorer App, IQ app. 

iPhone is an iPhone 11 on iOS 13. 

I have been able to successfully sync my 66i and iPhone using the above apps to sync Routes, tracks, activities etc. 

Inreach Messaging works (shouldn't matter). 

etc etc. 

I have installed the Komoot app and Wikiloc apps on the Garmin 66i via Connect IQ and also iPhone and signed in on the web as well. Both have active memberships. 

HERE IS THE PROB. 

Neither of the apps actually ever end up syncing the data that I am trying to sync. Routes for example. It says to the effect of HIT ENTER to download routes while in the Respective app on the Garmin 66I device (yes, they are actively paired and Garmin Connect is running the the background). Both apps have similar issues. the just sit and HANG for minutes.....many many minutes. Neither syncs, ever. Even with a tiny route that I made up, like .5 miles route, it never syncs. 

I am wondering who has had success with the sync with either Komoot or Wikiloc (or both) and a 66i<---->iPhone 

Thank you. I hope this makes sense 

Mark 

• Hi Mark,

normally all those apps are syncing fine with this device. However I did last week run into the same issue. Track downloads in neither of the apps finished anymore.

Please can you check if the connect IQ app is still connected to the device (respectively that you can download new apps)?

In my case also this was not possible anymore (while all my other Garmin devices worked fine with both the connect and as well the connect IQ app ).

After all, even an hard reset did not heal the problem and I ended up with an RMA (device exchanged within the warranty). Very friendly and helpful guy on the Garmin Germany side! Three days all in all from sending the device back to Germany until i had the new device in my hands.

Hope that helps.

Thomas  

• Thank you for the reply, Thomas

Did the new RMA’d exchange help the above issue. AKA. Is it working now????

—————

My latest. I swapped out the 66i with a different unit (just with someone else’s). The sync error followed me. So, it is not the unit specifically. It may of course still be the IQ software, or the iPhone 11 (iOS 13) issue.  My guess is the 66i 5.50 firmware.

Komoot and Wikiloc are used interchangeably in this thread. Both have issues. Both IQ apps are updated via the IQ connect.

The IQ apps are connecting to the iPhone. I can prove this on Komoot by making a small new route (called a tour on Komoot) and saving it. Then when I open the Komoot IQ app on the 66i Device, the new route appears...past this point is were it locks up. When I select the route on the IQ app on the 66i, It does load the small icon of the route on the top....the stats on the other pages of the route like distance, elevation etc that Komoot calculates. It never goes beyond that.

Some have said that since the data is:

INTERNET wifi——>G Connect on 66i (background) —>Komoot IQ app on 66i—>to Garmin 66i Device. This last step from IQ app to device is Bluetooth can be slow. Yes, perhaps...I made Route that was .5 miles....waited like 2 hours (for giggles)...and it never synced.

I have: hard reset the device 66i, soft reset the 66i device. Uninstalled the Komoot IQ app an reinstalled. Logged in and out....etc etc....I even tried a different iPhone although it was the same iOS 13.

• Hi Mark,

the RMA solved the connect IQ linkage, but I was yesterday a bit too enthusiastic. 

Installation of the apps worked fine, but again no downloading of the tracks. 

In my preffered app for route planning - routeCourse - i can see an even more specific failure picture. Here, the fetching of the route list works fine (similar to Kommoot). However you can also preview the map and show the elevation profile of the track. Once you try to download/launch or download only the track you get stuck. As if the app doesnt find the folder to store the file or is missing an answer from the device 

Like you, I think the problem comes from firmware 5.5.. Timewise my problems started thereafter. Probably the best will be to downgrade to the old firmware 5.4. I am going to give it a try later and will let you know.

• Good to know. And thank you so much for the second reply. Excited to know what happens next if you are able to downgrade to 5.40.

Mark 

• Hi Mark,

the good news first, the downgrade to firmware 5.4. resolves the issue. Both Komoot and routeCourse downloads are working fine again.

I used the file from http://www.gawisp.com/perry/gpsmap62_64_78/ (GPSMAP66i_WebUpdater__540.gcd ... from Oct 2019 for GPSMAP66i)

The bad news is, it is again an factory reset because of the lowering of the firmware version (the device does this automatically once it detects an older SW to be installed). In case you spend (like me yesterday again) substantial effort to configure the device the way you want it, better backup the relevant profile file before and restore it after the downgrade.

Best ... Thomas 

• Same issue with 5.50, iOS 13 and the komoot app for me. Have reported it to the fw team.

• Thank you a ton for all of the help and research on this I will give it a go sometime today. Hopefully 5.X will fix this syncing error in the future. 

Cheers

Mark

• Ha. Apparently I do not know what I am doing. I downloaded the file. I am used to firmware downgrades on other devices. I just do not know where to put the newly downloaded..gcd file and/or rename file. 

• sorry I forgot to describe that procedure. Always the same with Garmin: 

- take the downloaded file, rename it into GUPDATE.GCD and copy it into your device folder /garmin

- disconnect the device from PC and restart it

- now it detects the firmware update and asks you if you want to install it