Troubles synchronizing tracks with web portal

I cannot get the locally stored track on the 66i to synchronize with the web portal. With the inRech SE, inReach Explorer and inReach Mini it was easy: Simply synchronize it via "inReach Sync" at any time and the rough track from LiveTrack (Iridium) with 10 minute intervals would become very detailed as the track stored locally on the device would be transferred to the web portal and merges with the LiveTrack data. Done!

Now I do a tour with the 66i and back at home...

a) I have WiFi connectivity and assumed it would send the track from the device to the web portal automatically. Nope...
b) I connect the device to my phone via bluetooth and successfully synchronize it via Garmin Connect. So I assume this will send the track from the device to the web portal. Nope...
c) I connect the device to my computer via USB and synchronize it with Garmin Express. Again... assuming this will send the track from the device to the web portal. Nope...

What am I doing wrong?

The only way getting the track from the 66i to the webportal is manually importing the .gpx file. This creates a second track (not merging with the LiveTrack data). The only track information it contains is the distance (99.97 km). Zero other information (time stamps, elevation, duration, speed, ...).

By the way, the manual import only worked once. Now the exact same file is - accoring to the web portal - "Unsupported Media Type". So I can't even do further testing.

I'd be thankful for any support!

Simon

• I think you are right. I did rename the collection. I did it after all the other syncing efforts as far as I remember but definitely before syncing with the Explore app. I will do some testing today and let you know about the results.

It is strange that the app lets me sync everything (even counts the number of trackpoints that are synced) and confirms the successful synchronization but doesn't inform the user that the data is actually going nowhere or just puts it in a default collection. Although I do understand what the issue is, it could be solved easily. Just one more example of how the quality of inReach and all around it decreased since Garmin took it over.

• Although it never hurts, it should not be necessary to manually force either type of sync. It should happen automatically. At a minimum, when you open the app. And usually (in my experience) periodically while the app is open. Even when the app is running only in the background. However, at least on iOS, the system imposes limitations on the amount of communication in the background.

• Good news! Syncing the recorded tracks seems to work now. I did a short walk with the 66i. At home I opened the Explore app. Nothing happened first, but the very second when I saved the track on the 66i the app started synchronizing it and it is now visible in the portal. At least one problem solved now. Thanks a lot!

Some more questions raised... but I might be able to figure out the answers.

• Unfortunately, the issue is back. This time even worse than before. After changing the active collection on the device and syncing with the explore app there was no data transferred into the portal anymore - again! Despite the fact that syncing always works without any errors and even shows me that hundreds of points are being transferred, hardly anything arrives in the portals (inreach.garmin.com as well as share.garmin.com). Just one random track was suddenly shown. All other tracks (before and after the one that worked) just seem to be lost. I tried everything in my imagination to troubleshoot:

- Resetting all filters
    - Reboot devices (66i and smartphone)
    - Reinstall apps (Garmin Connect and Garmin Explore)
    - Reconnect device via bluetooth
    - Syncing over and over again
    - Changing active collection
    - Factory reset the 66i
    - Using other ways to sync (Garmin Connect, Garmin Express, connect WiFi, ...)
    - Using various different operating systems and browsers
    - Deleting browser caches
    - etc.

After the factory reset i managed to get another couple of tracks synchronized and shown on the portals. But is this really the way to go? I don't think so.

I asked Garmin for support via e-mail some days ago. So far I haven't received an answer.

Is there anyone else out there with the same problem? ... and possibly a solution?

• Try clearing your browser cache and/or a different browser. 

• You are probably going to need help from tech support. Once sync gets confused, it tends to stay that way. Do not email. Either call them or use chat. The process of figuring out what is wrong is interactive. It doesn't lend itself to email.

• Thanks for your help. Tech support replied now with the usual questions. I hope they can finally fix it.

• Seriously, try clearing your browser cache & killing/restarting the browser. 

• Did that already several times. Also used 5 different browsers on 3 devices so far. Garmin is working on it now. I'll let you know if there's any news.

• I returned the device today and cancelled the subscription as Garmin has not been able to solve the issues and there is no noticeable effort coming from Garmin to find a solution. I guess billing me 6 months for a service that doesn't work is enough and hope you all never have to deal with such issues.