TopoActive Americas North have disappeared only to be replaced by City Navigator NT

Until earlier today, my TopoActive Americas North map has been intact. A few hours ago, I inserted a City Navigator NT microSd card purchased a week or so ago from Garmin. It is the 2020 full coverage edition. With the card inserted, the NT map works fine. However, when I then click on the topo map, the NT map appears but not the topo. When I remove the NT card, and then click on the topo, the NT map continues to show. I have updated the software and the maps, and rebooted a number of times, but the problem continues. I can't imagine that I deleted the topo map but suppose anything is possible. At this point, I haven't a clue how to recover the topo maps. Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks for reading this.

• I am not sure what you mean by “click on the whatever map”. If you have not done so, try disabling the City Navigator NT map. At the same time, make sure the TopoActive map is enabled. 

From the Map screen, Menu>Map Setup>Configure Maps. Scroll to the map using up/down rocker. Press Enter to change the state of the selected map. Press Quit as many times as needed to return to the map screen.

• Thanks, twolpert, for the response. I should have mentioned that I have enabled only the topoactive Americas North map numerous times, but, regardless of whether the NT map SD card is installed, the NT map is the only map, other than the basemap, that is available to me. In other words, I go through the steps as described in the manual and that you have provided, but the topoactive Americas North map has disappeared and apparently been replaced by the City Navigator NT map. In summary: I enable only the TopoActive Americas North map but am presented with the City Navigator NT map, regardless of whether the CN NT microSD card is inserted. 

I do not recall copying the CN NT map to the unit. If I did err, and I don't think I did, could the CN NT map have replaced the topo maps? If so, is there a way to retrieve the topo maps?

• You're going to need to open a support on call on this one, I think.

• Yes, I think so. I have looked at the manual but cannot find a way to even inadvertently copy the CN NT map to the unit. For that matter, I have yet to find information about how to delete a map from the unit. Just so I know for the next time, is there a way to copy a map from an SD card to the unit? And if yes, would the copied map erase another map (in this case, the pre-installed topo map) from the unit?

I have a 64st and the topo map is intact.

Thanks again, twolpert

• AFAIK, maps (other than those on SD cards) can only be added and removed via a computer connection. The "proper" way to do this is via the Map Install program that comes with BaseCamp, Express, and so forth. However, the current release of Map Install is broken, at least with regard to installing certain types of maps. It's necessary to downgrade to a previous version.

I am unsure how downloaded, purchased maps are installed and removed.

All Garmin maps are "locked". In the case of SD media, they are locked to the SD card itself. In all other cases, they are locked to the unit on which they were first installed. Only mentioning that because you mentioned the topos on your 64st. They are not licensed for the 66i.

•   I have not been able to reproduce this here.

What I did was, put a preloaded City Navigator NT preloaded SD card in my GPSMAP 66i.  Waited, for the device to load the map.

Once the map is loaded, the device displayed City Nav. over the Topo Maps.  (This is by design and has been like this for years on all Garmin devices.)  

At that point, I disabled City Nav. via the settings and returned to the map.  Within seconds, the Topo map loaded. Then I reenable City Nav. map and returned to the map to see the road map load again.

Then removed the SD card and watched the map turn to Topo map.

The only thing I could think of is that the Road and Topo map looks very similar when to far zoom in or out.  Try the zoom scale around .8 miles or some level where you can see the Topo lines and then add and remove the SD card.  If some reason you are still seeing issues, turn off the device and then turn it back on.  If you keep having issues, then please reach out to the support teams.

Heath

• Thanks, again, twolpert. I only mentioned the 64st because the topo map is working fine on that unit. I would not try to use that map on my 66i, but I appreciate the words of caution. Yesterday, after encountering the problem with the topo map on the 66i apparently being replaced by the CN NT, I removed the card and then used Express to update my software. I think there were a few map updates. In any case, I had hoped that the updates would fix the issue with my unit, but they did not. 

Right at this minute, on my 66i, I have TopoAmericas North as the only enabled map, yet when I return to the map screen, I am presented, at for example 0.2 miles, with numerous street names but no contour lines, elevation indicators, etc. Now, I have disabled the TopoActive Americas North map, and enabled the CN NT card. There is no difference.

What a pain.

• Finally, a minute ago, I turned off the 66i, removed the CN NT card, and then turned the unit back on. I enabled the TopoActive Americas North map, clicked Quit a few times, and was returned to the map screen where at 0.2 miles, the same numerous street names were shown.

And that is it for me.

Thanks again, twolpert, for your kindness in trying to help me.

• Thanks, Garmin-Heath. I have tried various zoom scales, including .8 miles and greater, but still no topo lines are present. In addition, I have, via Express, reinstalled the topo map. I then disconnect the unit from my Windows computer and wait for the map to finish installation but am only returned to the same CN NT screen, even though the card is not installed. I've update numerous devices in the past, and I believe that one has to disconnect from the computer in order for the installation to be completed. I assume this is the same with the 66i. 

When in Express, I click to reinstall the topo map, the message is: "Reinstall the map that is currently loaded on the device?" Thus, the map must be on my device, yet, again with or without the CN NT card installed, I am presented with the same city nav map. 

Heath, am I correct about having to disconnect the unit from my computer in order for the installation to be completed?

• That was me grasping at straws. I've updated numerous devices and know that to complete the process, one has to disconnect the device from the computer. Heath, I have tried all that you suggested and still have no topo lines. I will contact support, but I have a suspicion that I will have to return my unit to the store, where I can still exchange it. I don't know how to switch my InReach subscription from one device to another, but I will figure it out.

Thanks to all for trying to help me.