This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Z82 laser distance incorrect to temporary green pin flags

Distance to temporary green pins shows incorrect yardage. On one hole the temporary green is 40 yards shorter and of the main green but the laser distance when pointing the laser to the temp flag shows yardage as it would be if I was pointing to the main green flag

• Very helpful, thank you.

I think the "Sight Something" option should be available when you are playing a round really, because that would allow for temporary greens and anything else I felt the need to "zap".

I'll use your link to suggest as much.

Thanks again.

• During golf play you can measure any distance you want and it should give the laser distance as such.

You can do this in the Play Golf mode.

Only thing is if you measure something nearby the "original" green but it is a temporary green it try to put the overlay over it for you but this is obviously with the wrong data (Z82 does not know the temp.green data points and try its best by overlaying wrong data points at that moment).

So remember to ignore this overlay data and use the yellow measured distance in the centre of your screen in such occasions only.

• That's what I expected it to do but I had some bizarre readings on temporary greens today, usually much longer than they actually were. I thought it was because it was guessing because the green wasJoyt were GPS expected it to be, but I think it was my incompetence as it was first use. Hopefully I'll be fine for the weekend, because it matters then. Joy Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply. 

• I’m still going back and forth with Garmin support. 

I have no problem with the slope, the GPS green front/middle/back numbers (I know they are for the main green and do not expect this to change for the temp green).

My problem is simply when I try to laser the temp flag it shows 100 yards (in red which is the actual distance from where I’m standing on the fairway also confirmed using just the sight something) but when it locks on the temp flag (turns yellow and flag symbol comes up) the distance displayed is 140 and not 100. The 140 is the gps distance to the middle of the main green, which is a few yards to the right of the temp green.
    will keep you posted if I get anywhere with support
  • Yes, that's exactly my experience as well, thanks for keeping me posted

• To me it looks like some "snap" flag to green software routine not completely working as it should.

Not taking into consideration a temp. winter green flag location and messing things up or just a general error when it is in the vicinity of the green. Like this one example below also.

On the YT review (link below) of the Z82 you can also see something is not working properly on the Z82 with the measured distance and the F,M,B, data overlay.

(Start: 11:05) The reviewer (Lets Play thru) measures the water and all measure good.  Then he measures the flag and reads a distance of 376 and the Z82 shows the green view on the left with Front: 381, Center: 389 and Back: 398.

That should mean the flag is positioned in front of the green by 5  yards. Which it is not. So either/or the laser measurement is off or the F,M,B, is off or some GPS and map data/table is off or only Garmin can answer and fix that bug.

YT link:

www.youtube.com/watch

Please upvote this to make improvements on the Garmin Golf watches Virtual Caddie features:

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/marq-series/270003/marq-golfer-feature-request-to-make-the-virtual-caddie-better-golfer-feature-requests-q-1006206

• "During golf play you can measure any distance you want and it should give the laser distance as such."

The problem is it seems like there's a check where if the laser distance falls outside of some expected value based on GPS data then the laser measurement is overridden and it instead displays the GPS data without warning the user. I've been bitten a number of times when the GPS data gets wonky for whatever reason and all of the sudden the Z82 gives me a laser reading that's off by 20 yards. Really all that Garmin would need to do is add some kind of marker that lets the user know that the laser measurement was overridden.

• This is not a great implementation imho.

When you range something with the laser in Golf play mode,

It should just give you that measured distance and not trying to make some "smart" adjustments at all.

The overlay data and distance adjusted data i can take into consideration if i want to.

but i want/expect the measured laser distance is the true measured laser distance at any time.

Because any overlay data is derived from GPS distances and GPS distance can be off by a, for golfer accuracy, too much margin of error.

• Not much luck. Support’s response pretty much in line with your thoughts. In play mode if the flag is not where it’s expected to be the laser reading is overridden with the GPS. Which makes absolutely no sense considering the laser reading accuracy on the z82 is one of the best out there.  I was told to send in a request to have the temp green mapped which is pointless.

• Really poor response from Garmin. It's a real flaw in the Z82 in my view. "Map temporary greens"!!!