This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Z82 laser distance incorrect to temporary green pin flags

Distance to temporary green pins shows incorrect yardage. On one hole the temporary green is 40 yards shorter and of the main green but the laser distance when pointing the laser to the temp flag shows yardage as it would be if I was pointing to the main green flag

• Will the distance be correct when you use the [sight something] option of the z82.

Does the f,m,b be visible also and are they from the original green .

Is the laser distance with or without the plays like (slope correction on).

You should contact support because either your unit is faulty or there is a sw bug and need to be addressed and updated for all of us.

• Many thanks. Only just managed to get out in the course to confirm.

it seems when I use the ‘sight something’, I get the correct distance. When in play mode, as I look directly at the flag I also get the correct distance however when it locks (turns yellow, flash and vibrates) it shows  the wrong distance. 

The f,m,b is shown from the original green.

I will raise this with support  

• hi, i have the same problem, also my wind direction and strength doesn't work either, did you get any further with garmin support? thanks

• Your Z82 have to be connected to your smartphone running the Garmin Golf app to get the wind data.

And your phone have to be connected continuously to the internet to get the latest wind data to your z82.

Read this for further information:

support.garmin.com/.../

• I can't find the Sight Something option anywhere. I've tried all the menus, pressing keys, holding keys, holding multiple keys etc. etc., all to no avail. This makes laser sighting useless when on temporary greens as in the OP. Pretty poor of the manual just to say "Select Sight Something".

• Where do you find "Sight Something"? I can't find the Sight Something option anywhere. I've tried all the menus, pressing keys, holding keys, holding multiple keys etc. etc., all to no avail. This makes laser sighting useless when on temporary greens as in the OP. Pretty poor of the manual just to say "Select Sight Something".

• You can only use sight something without hitting the play golf on the main menu mate. When it says play golf hit the button to go up or down and you will see it, you cant play a round of golf and keep score with it though

• Ah, thank you. So I must not "tell" it I'm playing golf when on temproary greens. (Only received it today so still learning) Thanks for your help.

• When you power on the Z82 you see in your viewfinder the play golf option.

When you press the down button you scroll thru several other options.

One of them is to measure any distance whatever the location or object is you want to measure the distance from your point to the object being measured.

This way you can always measure a distance unrelated of being on the golf course or not.

When you are on a temporary green it means your are not on the original green of that hole. 

This means Garmin Z82 does not know this is the green at the moment.

The Z82 is only capable to measure the temporary green distance as a independent object not related to the "real" green since you are not measuring the flag on the original green which is stored in the map data/layout the Garmin (and any other measuring device you might use like a gps golf watch or another brand).

It is like using google maps. You measure the distance and location of New York on the map. But the mayor has decided to move New York 100 miles west temporarily for winter maintenance. Now the google map will not be updated instantly and probably never since nobody has reported it to the google update map team. And when it has been reported and after the winter maintenance they bring New York back to its original location they have to restore it again. 

If you think it is a good idea to have Garmin Golf Maps include the temporarily greens location each time it changes on a hole you can give this idea to them here:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

You can also report any Golf Course update or in error at the Golf Course Report form, if needed, here:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/golfcourses/

Garmin update their maps twice a year, if needed, to reflect your changes requested.

There is no subscription for this service also.

Hope the above helps you out.

• No worries i just got mine as well and were in the same boat mate to be honest not entirely impressed with it, my wind direction etc doesnt seem to work and when i zap the flag sometimes it just gives me the overall yardage to the green. I play drumoig at st andrews alot and they moved the green on the 2nd hole and the garmin gives me yardages to the old green