Pin location

The new Z30 works like a charm. Very quick lock on the pin, even when shooting from more than 300 meters. Clear optics, nice layout of oled screen. Data exchange between rangefinder and watch (Epix gen2) is also very quick. No lag whatsoever.

However I have one concern. When shooting the pin, the location changes on the watch according to the measurement. But if you look afterwards in the app, the pin placement is in the middle of the green. Even if you mark the exact location (once arrived on the green) while standing next to it. Enclosed two screen pictures. Pin location was exactly the same (on the front). First is without rangefinder, second with rangefinder (and marking afterwards). This seems to be a bug.

The question is also: which position is used for the putting stats?

Without rangefinder

With rangefinder, and marking afterwards.

• During the round, are you marking the location of the flag on the watch first and then lasering the flag? Or are you only lasering the flag to get the location updated on the watch?

The location of the flag should only update if set by moving the flag using the green view menu of the watch during the round. 

• I was lasering the flag while on the tee box or fairway AND when arrived on the green moving the flag to the exact location with a double tap in green view menu.

Your answer is also not very clear about my last question. On the website the suggestion is made that range relay transfers the pin location to the watch (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/garmin-technology/golf-science/distance-measurement/range-relay/ )  especially the picture of the green on that page. I understand now that range relay doesn’t do that, and only shows the distance in numbers on the watch. It still requires you to mark the pin location on green view menu the get the putting stats right.

As shown in my first post, that seems not working right because the flag position didn’t change.

• In order for the flag position to update, the flag must be moved to it's location from the green view screen on the watch prior to stepping onto the green > Then once you are physically on the green, mark putts. Otherwise, if the flag position is not set from the fairway, it can display incorrectly if you set while on the green when marking putts. 

The flag position is not updated by the Approach Z30 lasering the flag, just the arc per the range relay feature, and in order to have the flag position recorded...this will follow the putt and flag location marking feature added a few months ago to the epix/Approach S70 series, which requires the flag to be marked prior to be actually located on the green...otherwise, if you are already located on the green and then the flag location is set, it will not display correct because of how putt location must be marked. 

• Thank you   for the extensive answer. However I’m not marking putts manually because of using the CT-10 sensors. 
    What I don’t understand is how one is supposed to move the location of the flag prior to stepping on the green. It is impossible to mark the flag precisely without stepping on the green. The double tap in greenview while standing next to the flag is really easy.

I always thought that moving the flag prior to stepping on the green was a possibility to get your distance more accurate while still on the fairway. The range relay function on the Z30 makes that part unnecessary now.

• The Approach CT-10 sensors track the amount of putts while you are on the green...but do not track the exact location of the putt. The putt marking feature allows for the location to be saved of each putt. 

The green view enabled the option to mark putts once you are actually located on the green, and due to how the putt location is marked, the flag position must be set prior to stepping onto the green to save the flag location.

Regardless of whether you are choosing to mark putts or not, the flag position still must be set prior to your GPS location being on the green. This is something that can be done once you are near enough to the green where you see the flag position relative to the green shape and does not require the use to be physically located on the green to get a reference of the location. 

• I’m sorry, but I don’t see any option to mark my putts on the watch (Epix gen 2) not even when setting flag position prior to entering the green. It seems not to be there. Pressing the action button in green view is zooming in, not marking a putt. It sounds very strange that CT-10 don’t track location of the putts, because they track location with every other club. It also tracks location of putts outside the green….

I can’t believe what you were writing above is really the case. Garmin built recently the option to double tap in green view to save the flag location. It sounds awkward that using that function will prevent the possibility to save putt location and save flag location. How on earth am I supposed to double tap in green view without being on the green?

• Z30の簡単操作ガイドに、ピン位置自動車道補正機能については次のように書かれています。

「距離測定時にフラッグファインダーが起動した場合、Bluetooth接続が有効なGarminデバイスで記録しているピン位置をレーザーの測定結果に合わせて調整します」

これは間違いですか?

• The order of operations for the putt marking feature further clarified (apologies on the delay): 

1. Ensure scoring is enabled in Golf Settings on your watch, and big numbers mode turned off. 
    2. Prior to stepping on the green, mark the flag location from the green view screen on the watch. (If you do not mark the flag before stepping on the green, you will likely unintentionally mark a putt instead or simply have to use the pin's default location).
    3. Step onto the green to your ball location where you are putting from, and the watch must be in green view to mark the putt location. You can mark the location when you first get to your ball to mark/clean it, or after your putt (whatever you prefer).
    4. If further putts are made while on the green, tap the Start/Stop button from the ball location to continue marking from there. 
    5. Once the scorecard is saved and synced after the round, you will then see the data point on the map where the initial put was marked. The pin will display on the green from where it was marked, or will default to the middle of the green if the flag was not positioned prior to stepping on the green. 
    6. The locations for putts are reference only on the scorecard, and are not a part of the performance stat metrics. 
  • The Z30 allows for the arc to display on a compatible Garmin watch or through the Garmin Golf app through the Range Relay feature. 

The distance from the pin to the front and back of the green is displayed because the golf app or compatible watch is providing course map details, and the front and back distances being provided in a straight line through the middle of the green. 

The actual pin position relative to the shape of the green is not able to be recorded by the laser, and must be manually set by the user in relation to the left and right sides per the unique shape of the green for each hole.