S70 locking up / freezing.

I have the S70. I have played 3 rounds so far and on all rounds it has locked up twice. The watch can be powered down and restarted but any data up to that point is lost. Anyone else having issues? So far makes the Watch pointless and may return if issue isn’t resolved. 

• Hi, I have experienced this with my S70 on all three rounds I have played. I loose graphics on the third hole and power out on the fourth tee and can only restart with the power cable and pressing the middle button for 5 seconds. I spoke with Garmin and they are aware of this problem and working to resolve it.

I also lose connection sometimes to my phone via Bluetooth when it is on my back pocket. My other non golf watch connects up to 35 yards away.

Its interesting that this issue has always been there and yet so many promoters have never experienced it. Apparently all will be fixed within a week or sooner. Let's hope so.Fingers crossed tone1

UPDATE to the above.

I tried it without connecting to Bluetooth and it worked perfectly on Saturday and Sunday.

I have passed this on to Garmin. I think the issue is with Bluetooth.

At least it is usable until they can correct this issue.

• I also experienced the same issue. I used it on Friday for a 9 hole course and all went fine. Today (Sunday) I went to a 18 hole course and the watch black screened 4 times. Each time the watch lost the course map graphic first. And then the virtual caddie stopped working and afterimage showed up after each swipe of the screen. And then the watch would die. I didn’t know how to reset it on the course but the watch typically rebooted itself after 15-20min (prob due to me long pressing buttons here and there). Totally unreliable for what it is for and I’m returning it now. Can’t believe how much this costed.

• We have found the bug that is causing these issues to occur and it relates to Virtual Caddie (and it is also course-specific, so not everyone will see it occur). In the meantime, if you have seen this issue and want to avoid it, you will need to temporarily disable Virtual Caddie by following these steps:

1. Press Menu
    2. Select Settings
    3. Select Golf Settings
    4. Select Virtual Caddie
    5. Set to 'Manual'
  • Can confirm this ‘fix’ worked for me. I was able to complete a round with out any lockups. Would still like to know when a proper fix will be made available. The device is still not functioning as sold. Are Garmin planning any compensation for this period of time Watch has been non functioning. I have missed any return period I may have had whilst live testing for Garmin. Thanks.

• Thanks for the confirmation. We have made the fix in software and it will be available in our next public release that will be offered very soon.

• Update as of June 23, 2023: 

We have a fix for this issue in the new software version 13.25 for the Approach S70. The update is currently be rolled out, and will become available for more users as we progress the availability more. 

Users please reach out and let me know if you continue to have any concerns once the version becomes available and installed to your Approach S70. 

We appreciate you patience as our team has worked on releasing the fix for this issue, thank you! 

• My Garmin s70 totally turns off during a round of golf every time I play. 

The battery is at 100% but still locks up and is unable to be turned back on despite having 100% battery. 

I have to wait until I get home to plug it in to wake it up again. 

I have tried several times to restart the watch on the course but no response totally dead. 

1. Please can you tell me why this is happening and if there is a fix. Otherwise I have to return it. 
  • Hi, I used to have this problem but if you turn off Bluetooth on your mobile or just turn your phone off whilst you are playing it steps this from happening (it did on mine).

Without Bluetooth you don't have this problem and the only thing you don't have accessed to is "Wind Speed & Direction" on the course.

Everything else works for me and I have played 10+ rounds without issue.

Garmin are currently resolving the issue I am told which they think is the intelligent club advisor.

I think it is simply the Bluetooth based on my experience and what works with the Bluetooth turned off.

I hope this helps. I love my S70.GolfGolfer

• I was under the impression that if you disconnected the watch from your mobile's Bluetooth it corrected everything except wind speed & direction and more importantly no freezing or blackscreen needing a cable power reboot back to life.

I discovered today that my OPPO 94 5G (Android 13) bluetooth was causing my Bluetooth issues.

I found my old Blackview BV9100 (Android 9) and the connection to it gave me everything, including full plays like, wind speed & direction and Virtual Caddie.

Check your Blutooth connection to your mobile. It could be your mobile Bluetooth is not as good as you thought it was.

My Garmin Approach S70 47mm performs as advertised and is a joy to use. 

I owe an official apology to Garmin (Golf) for believing it was a general Bluetooth issue when it was my OPPO phone all the time.

I hope this helps everyone still having issues.

p.s. There was another update this morning (12th July 2023) but this had no bearing on the above.