distance/shot tracking is slow

so i finished playing my home course yesterday morning for the 2nd time in the last 7 days and i had the same issue now both times using the S62. but at least i now know exactly what is going on.

i am able to acquire GPS within about 30-45 seconds, however it doesn't update my location for about 45 minutes. it initially logged me at the driving range where i acquired the intiial satellites, but when i got on the first tee, i could see that it showed my location as still being on the driving range. after my tee shot the distance never changed from 0 yards.

so basically i had to manually enter my score on my watch for each hole and then manually change what hole i was on.

then after my tee shot on hole 6 it started to finally track my distances normally the rest of the round. id say the distance tracking is a about 1-2 seconds slower than on my s60.

i also tested a walk activity to see if it would track my distance correctly and it worked fine. i actually started the tracking my gym to my work and drove the distance, but it tracked the activity completely all the way correctly... 24 miles. when i checked on garmin connect the distance was correct every mile.

so definitely seems like something is off specifically with golf tracking.

also when i check the activity in garmin connect, it shows that it didnt start tracking my steps until hole 6. so i can see that the first 5 holes it doesnt show any tracking.

• I am sorry your new watch is having issues. What you are describing is most likely a hardware issue with your specific watch acquiring and maintaining GPS acquisition. If you haven't already reached out to Outdoor Golf Product Support, through our Support Center, please do so and we will gladly warranty exchange your watch for you.

• Before you take the time to exchange the watch.  There a lots of people experiencing the same issue even with second watch they had exchanged.  There is clearly some sort of software issue that needs resolved with this watch.  Please refer this thread.  There are solutions there that may resolve your issue.

forums.garmin.com/.../no-gps-signal

• yeah i saw that thread and posted there as well after my first round problem, but started this one because its more specific to the issue. ive been in open communications with Chris and i am on my replacement watch with the same issues. so now that i have a better understanding of the issue, i started this thread. im watching the updates on the other thread also, but that one started off as more about not being able to acquire satellites initially.

since i am able to acquire the gps satellites initially but it just doesnt start updating the tracking until about 45 minutes later.

• i played a round today far from my home course and it actually worked pretty well.

but i had it locate gps right when i parked and it found the course within a minute while i was still in the car. i was actually kind of surprised and it detected the course automatically without me having to choose a course.

about 10 minutes later i went to the driving range and hit some balls. i want to say i hit a few balls with my 60 and walked about 5 yards to switch clubs and did not notice any distance tracking. hit some with my 56 and walked back and nothing, so i took my phone out and started the golf app. then hit a few more with my 48 and this time as i walked back  to get my PW the yardage started tracking,

i am not sure if anything i did got it working or not but i went on to hit some balls with my PW, 9i, 7ii, 3h and D. i was probably on the range for about 20 minutes and went through 30 balls and each time i finished a club and walked back it was tracking fine.

i was able to play the full 18 without any issues.

the virtual caddie left a bit to be desired though. i'd say 70% of the time it was close to the right club. the lay ups recommendations i would say were pretty much in point.

there was a par 3, 190 yds and it recommended PW and when i switched it to recalculate. it then recommended 9i. i went with 5i and hit it 190 yds. my PW is usually around 125.

ive got another round tomorrow morning closer to my home and i will probably just do the same thing again. 

acquire gps while i am in the parking lot. then hit some balls, maybe i will just chip this time though and walk back and forth to verify if the yardage tracks or not. if it doesnt, i will open the golf app again. 

but glad that i was able to finally get it to work today even if it did take some maniuplation.

• played another round this morning and happy to report that i didnt have any issues today. i started locating satellites in my car a couple minutes from the course and by the time i parked it had located nearby courses.

i selected my course in the parking lot and headed straight to the chipping area. hit my first chip and then chose the club and as i walked to get the ball i saw that the distance tracking was working. didint have to pull out my phone or anything.

watch worked flawlessly on the course today.