How to keep CT10 securely attached to clubs?

After one year of using CT10 sensors all works good except for one important thing, sometimes sensor fly off my club during swing. So far I have not lost any sensors but few of times I was very lucky to notice that sensor was missing after swing and finding it few yards in front of me. I have tried many ways to make sensors stay on top of my clubs mainly by applying electric tape or self amalgamated tape but this solution goes bad very quickly because tape gets damaged when pulling out and putting in clubs in my bag. 

I wonder if any of you experienced similar problem and and found good solution to it.

• I have a similar product with sensors on the club and I use a good tape to fix them.

• re-gripping my club fixed this for me. Let the sensor make its own hole dont enlarge grip hole. I have had problems with sensor top falling off into the bottom of my bag

• Hello Mirek,

i know this issues as well.

Re-gripping clubs sound to be the best solution, like said, if the screw caps looks well. Be aware by using Tape. Sensors will be activated also be ligthsensor, so dont  cover the whole cap.

Probally  i was not so lucky. The threat mount was broken on one of mine, i think its caused by this issue over time.

on my putter with triangular grip shape its looks strange and instable, cause the cap will not fit properly.

Always take care your  hands will not use this cap as part of the golf club, because shear and torsion forces will cause loose or damage over time to these sensors.

• Joti,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have never thought about tape blocking light sensor, this is good hint.

Actually, all my irons have new grips so I do not think the issue I am facing is directly related to quality of a grip. I think designers of this sensor did not spend a lot of time to find the best solution for attaching it to a club. I noticed that if I hit some irons in particular way, sensor just flies away. I think some types of vibration from the club head dislodges sensor from top of a club.

I decided to use super glue and after one round in rain all sensors are still securely attached. 

• You know you are supposed to strike with the end opposite the grip?!

No, kidding aside - I have a full set of CT10's but never had any issues with flying sensors. I screw them firmly on the grip and that's it.

• I was tired of constantly checking and re-tightening the CT10 every time I pulled a club out of the bag. While the 10 seconds it takes on average to perform those activities before each shot may initially seem to be of little consequence, those 10 seconds may be more taxing than you think. Aside from the fact that those 10 seconds could be better spent on figuring out how to hit the flop shot over that tree residing between you and the green, by the end of the round, a 12-handicapper will have spent an additional 14 minutes just on CT10 maintenance alone. 

I found a solution that has worked well for me (and got my 14 minutes per round back): 

1. I cut off the butt end of the grip on each of my clubs (the part the CT10 would normally screw into).

2. I took 14 cork stoppers (salvaged from empty wine bottles) and shaved each one so that it would fit down the tube of each shaft and plug tightly.

3. For each shaft, I hammered a cork plug into it until the plug was flush.

4. I drilled a small pilot hole into each cork stopper I had installed.

5. Finally, I screwed the CT10 for each club into the pilot hole until the CT10 was firmly installed.

I haven't had to worry about CT10's flying off or checking to make sure they remained fully screwed in since. 

• RPA SR

Thanks for sharing this interesting solution.

My supper glue worked for few weeks but last Saturday on a driving range one sensor came off. I am guessing either the supper glue wore off or I have twisted the club while taking it from my bag bending the sensor to much and breaking the bond. Either way, I have re-glued it and will monitor the situation.

On this note, I found another annoying problem with the design of CT10. The top part (the small black part that holds all the electronics and battery) unscrews itself from the white part of the sensor body while in the golf bag. This happen 3 times on my putter sensor and during last round on one of my irons. I suspect that the vibration while driving in a golf cart causes the sensors to part itself. This is very upsetting because during the round there is little you can do to fix it unless you have time  to remove all the clubs from the bag, rotate it upside down and shake the sensor part out.

For this much of money I would expect that the Garmin SQ department worked all this out before commercializing it. 

• The black head dropped off one of my CT10 in the same way your did. It was at the bottom of my golf bag during a round, and difficult to get hold of without emptying my bag (tipping it upside down), you cant do that on the course during a round.

I have put the cover back and put a small dot of sealant on it to help hold it tight screwed. I am trying tubes inside my bag now to reduce the rubbing as I take them out. 

• I've had good luck using Shoe Goo. It dries clear and has held up well for months so far.

• How did you apply this? Just on the threads or on the portion that sits on the top of the club grip? I used Silicone Rubber Wrap in the screw part of the CT10 on my 6 iron and just jammed it through the hole until it hit the recess I left on the wrap. We'll see how that works this week. 
    I got fitted for irons in February and ordered Lamkin grips which had worked ok for me before but this batch made especially for TFG has really spongy ends on them. I don't want to re-grip because these are new but I don't want to lose any more CT10s either. 
    It'd be nice if someone from Garmin read this and sent out a couple of CT10s on the house since we seem to be losing a few through no fault of our own. Slight smile