A perfect easy implementation to register position of your putts and flag position

Approach S60 and GolfWith the latest update, this watch is almost 100% perfect for golfing (and other things).

However, it lacks the tracking and positioning of putts. This can be solved quite easily.

Sample PAR 4 hole to explain feature and benfits. How it works now, with current software;
1) You start playing and have scoring as well as shot detection activated
2) First shot. Watch asks what club, you select e.g. i8.
3) Second shot. Watch asks what club, you select e.g. i8
4) You walk onto the green and the watch face automatically changes to putt menu (basically asking how many strokes and putts and finally penalty strokes you've made).
5) Upon looking on the golfapp you can track your iron shots but not your putts, meaning that you have no idea where you landed you GIR, was it a good approach shot, landed close by flag or far away? Nor do you know anything about the following putts and their location as well as finally the flag position.

Please change the interface to this instead
1) Same as above
2) Same as above
3) Same as above
4) When you walk on the green the screen changes to have two big buttons only (call it "putt" & "flag" or similar).
I walk up to my ball and make my putt. Either before or after I do the putt (standing at my ball) I press the "putt" button on the screen. Now the watch records my GPS position for that putt.
Unless it went in the hole I walk up to my ball in its new position on the green and either before or after my second putt I press "putt"-button on screen.
This second putt made it into the hole so I walk towards the hole and standing at the hole I press Flag. This will record the flag position as well.

5) This solution will give me a complete tracking of my shots AND my putts AND the position of the FLAG which will render me much interesting statistics such as how my approaches actually lands on the greens and how long/short my putts are, do I putt too long or too short putts, left or right of the flag etc. etc.

PLEASE incorporate this instead of the fixed menu that currently pops up on the screen once you enter the green area. That menu could pop up after you have pressed FLAG and walk to the next hole!

/Magnus
  • I'm new to Garmin and golf apps and this is my biggest frustration; it won't record my chips nor my position on the green.  Please make this happen Garmin.  You'd sell so many more devices because we'd be your advertising!

• I hope not to see this as golf is slow enough, I’d hate to play with someone who messes with his watch before and after every putt. Just jot down your stats. You guess off how far the putt is will be as good as a gps. Are we really suggesting all this messing about and button pressing?

• With over 200 registered rounds on my Garmin watch I consider myself a regular user. This is a great solution to the greatest weakness in the Garmin tracking system

• Please please please make it possible to press a button when being at the flag. It would be so simple, yet so convenient!

• i agree, what good are putting and chipping stats when you don't know where the pin is. It is too time consuming to place the pin on the green when on the green and probably not even close to being accurate

• Right would good are putting, chipping and short game stats when pin placement is not correct/ This is a huge weakness to an otherwise great product 

• Please! Please! Please! Add this function. We’re I land on the greens and distance of putts is soooooo important.

• I just came across this post and this is exactly what I was looking for. I have a fenix 6 pro and it handles tee to green fairly well, but functionality around putting is severely lacking. Like others, I'm keen to see my putting stats in the app, but can't seem to even edit the scorecard to indicate how long putts were. Being able to do this on course with a click of a button would be perfect. I'm trialling arccos but it's a pain to check it's recorded everything and I prefer the simplicity of my watch.

Is this functionality anywhere on the garmin feature list?

• The putting issue is such a big problem with the Garmin it surprising they have yet to address it except for the solution would kill their CT10 product so it seems canibalization is the root issue.  However I would argue that Garmin doesn't understand the gold mine it is sitting on and should consider revisiting this issue.  I love the data I get on this watch with regards to my golf game.  It is the best watch in the business, however the lack of putting data is beyond disappointing.  So much that after using 4 versions of this watch I am constantly googling the next watch that will also allow me to track putting data in addition to shot data.  So far I have yet to find one.  Including length of putt, this is obviously the most coveted data to have.  This is simple to track.  If the garmin allows for the pin position to be adjusted then if you could drop a GPS pin at each putting interval you could essentially have the data needed to do all the calculations for number of putts and distance of each putts.  Eureka!  ONE BUTTON TO RULE THEM ALL, THAT IS HOW SIMPLE THIS COULD BE.  I am not talking about a new hardware button, a simple software upgrade that adds a shot button.  They say they have one in the manual, but good luck with that because it doesn't exist to manually add a shot for anywhere I can find.  A virtual system could come up on the screen that could suggest the distance in feet to the already placed pin position and you could push up or down to adjust the number to be more accurate.  

I tried the CT10 system and it was ok at best, but you have many misreads, noreads, and more importantly you have to handle the sensors gently and they constantly rip off the end of clubs when you get them out of the bag, it is not consistent enough to be viable compared to the easy of everything else the watch already offers.  Do the math Garmin, how many clients buy the CT10 system only to abandon it after 1 year or longer.  FYI, this is because of the sensors getting lost or failing.  it is too much to keep up with an frankly it is old technology considering what you have in the watch.  Arrcos is obviously the preferred product in this space as many podcasts and online professionals reference and dissect their data sets and I have yet to hear anyone discuss Garmins.  The data has to be worth something if nothing more than marketing information when professionals talk about it (I have to believe it could be sold in some capacity, if not today, then sometime down the road) but Garmins data set has to be lacking without putting data.  Any data is better than no data and I have a decade of rounds on their platform with all the shots BUT not counting short chips and puttsl.  Not sure why this is but really it is time Garmin does something with this because it is obvious the CT10 is not the solution.  So I would hope that Garmin is looking to solve the issue because right now it is obvious golfers are looking for something simple and better than the CT system.  If they presented a new watch that was 50% more but had this feature I would assume it has some value potential when you factor in the cost of the CT system AND all the data they could gleam from it, potentially sell it etc....  Garmin, for the love of all that is holy please provide another option for customers desiring full game data analysis of their game by adding a putting distance feature.  This watch is too good not to have this.  

By waiting and waiting to add this you are just losing potential market share/ branding power in the golfing community.  Give the people what they want before someone else comes along and does it for you.