A perfect easy implementation to register position of your putts and flag position

Approach S60 and GolfWith the latest update, this watch is almost 100% perfect for golfing (and other things).

However, it lacks the tracking and positioning of putts. This can be solved quite easily.

Sample PAR 4 hole to explain feature and benfits. How it works now, with current software;
1) You start playing and have scoring as well as shot detection activated
2) First shot. Watch asks what club, you select e.g. i8.
3) Second shot. Watch asks what club, you select e.g. i8
4) You walk onto the green and the watch face automatically changes to putt menu (basically asking how many strokes and putts and finally penalty strokes you've made).
5) Upon looking on the golfapp you can track your iron shots but not your putts, meaning that you have no idea where you landed you GIR, was it a good approach shot, landed close by flag or far away? Nor do you know anything about the following putts and their location as well as finally the flag position.

Please change the interface to this instead
1) Same as above
2) Same as above
3) Same as above
4) When you walk on the green the screen changes to have two big buttons only (call it "putt" & "flag" or similar).
I walk up to my ball and make my putt. Either before or after I do the putt (standing at my ball) I press the "putt" button on the screen. Now the watch records my GPS position for that putt.
Unless it went in the hole I walk up to my ball in its new position on the green and either before or after my second putt I press "putt"-button on screen.
This second putt made it into the hole so I walk towards the hole and standing at the hole I press Flag. This will record the flag position as well.

5) This solution will give me a complete tracking of my shots AND my putts AND the position of the FLAG which will render me much interesting statistics such as how my approaches actually lands on the greens and how long/short my putts are, do I putt too long or too short putts, left or right of the flag etc. etc.

PLEASE incorporate this instead of the fixed menu that currently pops up on the screen once you enter the green area. That menu could pop up after you have pressed FLAG and walk to the next hole!

/Magnus
  • This would be awesome if they'd add this. But unfortunetaly i don't think they will, because they want you to buy the expensive CT10's to do this job.
  • The Approach S60 already have shot detection but putts doesn't trigger the sensor. Therefore a press of a button would register the GPS-position. No need for CT10's for this. Their benefit is only that they know which club u used. But that you can select in the Approach S60 already today. This is just a small software addon to register gps position of putts and the flag. That is it!! Would be AWESOME if the implemented this.

This would be awesome if they'd add this. But unfortunetaly i don't think they will, because they want you to buy the expensive CT10's to do this job.

• Hi,
    I made earlier this proposal, because this is also necessary for soft chips and pitches. These are not regocnized by the S60. It's only to add a double click and a yes/no for "Add position and shot" ... but I think, this will not beeing realized ...
    But frankly ... this all is only a gimmic, if you are playing as not so experienced golfer. If you play often golf and also competitions, these handlings with the clock can be disturbend ...
    For me it is a good help to have an aproximate distance to the middle of the green and the manual registering of the total of shots.
    In a competition you are also the marker for a flight member, so you have to count for two and note this on the scorecard which you have to sign.
    I have a system from a competitor that uses sensors on the club, a special one for the putter. But also this system does not work alltimes correct. It depends also on the quality of the GPS signal. If this is disturbed by high voltage lines, then the recognition end in garbage.
    After one year usage (and getting down my handicap) I concentrate more on the play then using the S60...
    Regards and a good play
    Gerd
  • The Approach S60 already have shot detection but putts doesn't trigger the sensor. Therefore a press of a button would register the GPS-position. No need for CT10's for this. Their benefit is only that they know which club u used. But that you can select in the Approach S60 already today. This is just a small software addon to register gps position of putts and the flag. That is it!! Would be AWESOME if the implemented this.

My old TomTom Golfer2 watch could easily do that. So come on Garmin.
  • Just stumbled across this topic and I'd like to say that I'd love to see that feature. Garmin, please give us any response on that, or even better, just implement it.

• This should be possible by a "simple" software upgrade that lets you record the gps-position where you are standing. Please Garmin. A response please. Adding this would make your watch all the more better than e.g. Shotscoope and others.

• I hope more Garmin users read this post and vote for it to be implemented by Garmin for both S60 and S62.

• This post should be the no.1 feature to implement!

• I was hoping to have something like what you are describing. On that front Garmin is lagging against the competition.