R10 shows connected but does not record shots

I recently received my R10 after ~6 months.  I ordered a mat and net and my son and I could not wait to try it out.  Nothing fancy to start out with.  Just the driving range feature in the Garmin Golf App to test the setup.  The setup is in my garage.  I have read the setup information carefully.  The net is 8 feet from the hitting spot and the R10 is 6 feet behind that spot.  The R10 and the mat are at the same level.  We were getting short numbers.  The longer the club the more the numbers were off.  I've read that many people have seen that and I was happy to spend the time doing trial and error on distances from the hitting area, covering concrete surfaces, etc.  I was able to get the numbers a little closer to normal.  But it seems the more I use it, the more unstable my connection becomes.

Many times it will simply stop detecting shots.  The R10 shows green light, then on backswing it turns red, and after shot it turns green again.  So it looks just like it does when the app shows the shot, only it just doesn't show the shot.  The app shows that the device is connected and shows the battery level fine.  I can click the sync button and run the device calibration and both appear successful.  I can't figure out why it just stops.  Closing the app and restarting it does not seem to help, nor does restarting the device.  It does't make sense, but the only way I've been able to make it start working again is to tell my phone to forget the bluetooth device and re-pair.  Then it works again for maybe 20 minutes and then the problem happens again.

I do have the latest app version (Android) and the latest R10 firmware.  We even tried it on my son's iPhone and we see the same issue.

The device doesn't seem to be overheating or anything like that.  I don't know if I got a lemon or what.  I could live with the occasional shot not registering, but that's not what's going on here.  It works fine for a bit and then simply stops working.  The app and the device lights make it appear as if everything should be working fine, but it simply stops registering any shots.

Is there some sort of app diagnostics that I can enable to help debug the issue?  If I can't get this resolved I'm going to have to return the device, but I really want this to work.

Thanks,
Warren