This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Updated from 3.6 to 4.0 and now its terrible with distances

Anyone else having this issue? Being 20-30 yards short and always right? Is there anyway to uninstall update and go back to the old version. It was spot on before. Please help. 

• It would be nice if we just got some acknowledgment of the issue from the Garmin team. Is anybody out there? Slight smile

• since update 3.6 the updates have turned what was a good user overall experience into a pitch and short iron one only. 

Whatever was done to fix outdoors has ruined the indoor experience. My unit was one of the first/ second batch (6pp) and it never had distance /interfence issues. Now it's got both with nothing else changing in my space.

Is garmin aware?

• As someone that just purchased the R10 and using version 4.0.  Is it simply that the unit is giving more accurate readings?  No one wants distances to be shorter but how do they match up with what happens out on course.

What I am noticing is it seems to struggle with picking low launch angles.  Unless the ball is launched over 10deg then distances are way off.  3W or 2 irons hit indoors for example.

It would also be interesting if anyone can answer whether R10 picks up club head speed at impact or just maximum club head speed in the swing.  Been trialling it against the garmin G80 and getting inconsistencies.  Some are spot on while others way off.  Obviously my swing isn't perfect hence why i'm practising but can only think while the G80 will likely measure swing speed at impact always,  The R10 could measure swing speed in other parts of the swing if your timing is off on that swing.  

• I've had my R10 for about six weeks or so, using it at home outdoors with a net and on the range. I set it up with my Swing Caddy and was happy to see ball speed and swing speed are always close (+/- 1-2 mph). But lord are they different for distances over 150 yards. I thought, maybe I just don't hit as far as thought and that the Swing Caddy doesn't take spin or height into the equation. Nope. On the range, we have flags and natural rock out croppings that laser out to well past 200 yards. I'm not a good golfer, but even I can see my ball running out past the 220 mark while my Swing Caddy says 222 and my Garmin R10 says 190. I've repeated the experiment over and over. The R10 is always 20-40 yards short of reality. I thought I bought a lemon. Now, reading the replies, I happy to see it's not me. And sad to see it's the R10. P.S. I set up a line and level platform so everything is set up as it should be.

• Thanks for sharing your story. Did you happen to notice if it was strictly ball speed that was low on the Garmin causing the short reads? That’s all I’m noticing from mine is smash factor / ball speed. Swing speed seems to be spot on all the time.

• I just sent photos to Garmin Support showing 7 iron and driver carry and total distances. In the pictures as well as pretty much anytime I compare the two, ball speed and club head speed are very close. Every once in awhile they'll differ by 4+ miles per hour, but that's the exception. Typical is +/- 1-2 mph. BTW, I spoke with Mike and am happy to report that they read this forum and are aware of the posts. I don't know that they are aware of the issue per se, but you'd have to think so.

• Just something I've noticed with online reviews and comparisons using GCQuad or other high end units.  Garmin seems to match-up will on ball speed quite closely but its usually spin and club data that's a little off.  Spin estimate is the main one that affects carry distance.  Just my observation, love the unit though.  In the end cant complain with what you get for the price and only using as a training tool.  As long as it's consistent with itself, that's all you really need. 

• I am finding the same issues. About 20yds short on anything over 140. I'm in a covered driving range and whilst I don't think this should make any difference I did experience better accuracy actually on the course. Accept that a lot of the numbers are driven by algorithems etc. but perhaps they need a slight tweak.

• Hello, if distances are short, you can try adjusting the height of the R10 (raise 1-2" or 25-50 mm higher than current set up) and increasing the distance both forward and behind the ball, which may improve readings. 8' is considered the minimum ideal distance.

A calibration of the R10 can be performed for those that haven't tried it using the steps in the support article linked below. 

Tips for Indoor or Outdoor Approach R10 Placement | Garmin Support

If you have done all of the suggestions, and continue to experience discrepancies, please reach out to the Golf Product Support team directly. They will need to review your issue and determine the next course of action.

Garmin Facilities Across the Globe | Garmin

I am locking this post to prevent multiple running threads on the issue. You can view the original thread here:

R10 distances seem off. - Approach R10 - Golf - Garmin Forums