This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Issues with Short Chips. R10 not Reading them.

Ever since the 3.60 update I have been having issues with my R10 not seeing short chips (anything close to the green where your backswing is significantly shorter). 

I remember with 3.60 they did something to reduce the affect "club waggle" had in a preshot routine.  The R10 thought your swing was starting and then would miss your actual swing. Ever since that I'm having a heck of a time getting it to read chips. I have to use such a long back swing for a short chip to get the R10 to see the swing, it is extremely frustrating and will only teahc terrible habits. 

I use my R10 indoors. R10 is 7ft behind ball and the ball is 11ft to the impact screen. 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

• I'm having the same problem with 4.0 

• A quick set of the wrists will turn the light red but  I don't think that's the way most people chip.

• A quick set of the wrists will turn the light red but  I don't think that's the way most people chip. I have 4.0 install am am having the same problem.

• We all know that other power sources can cause interference, but I wanted to throw this out there.  I do use fans in my garage, and at lower speeds I can get good readings on full shots without the R10 warnings popping up.  I was having the same issues with chip shots not reading.  Interesting finding with floor fan 10 ft away behind me at 45 degree angle.  Keep in mind this is small sample, but probably relevant as higher speeds pull more amps on the fans.

no fan- 10 /10 on readings

speed 1- 10/10

speed 2- 7/10

speed 3- 1/10

I hit fat, thin, low,high, etc for all sets of 10.  Something to consider as I’m sure not everyone has AC in the garage.  Should note mat is flush with mat I built for R10 with no crevices in between.  I was 9ft from impact net and 6ft from R10.  Hope this helps someone.

• I can confirm issues with chipping if less than about 12-15 feet. I find I have to use a “flop styled chip” maximizing height with soft landing (unnatural technique and tough to duplicate). Bump n runs are near impossible unless they are longer distance ones and the ball jumps a ft or so off the ground.

Flightscope have a “slow swing speed” mode that helps…. Could Garmin write an ancillary algorithm to handle these touch shots and just calculate/extrapolate from the speed of the ball travel in a smaller window.

haha or just develop putting and kill two birds with one stone and make the R10 untouchable in the marketplace.  

Does anyone remember the R-motion….. properly set up that little device was so much fun and worth its weight in gold.  It did it all with a free demo of TGC to boot. It was too good for the times and they killed it because they also were involved with the Rapsodo launch monitor and Skytrak.

if Garmin added a clip on gyro based device to the R10 for chipping and putting …. They’d sell another product and clean up.

• I've had issues on short chips for months, usually with my 58-degree wedge and even up to 50 yards on Home Tee Hero. (I'm not sure what software version it was when it started.) I use the R10 in my garage and here's what I've found that gets more short chips picked up.

• I move the ball closer to the R10. I hit full shots 6-feet-8-inches from the R10, but short chips roughly 4 feet away (sometimes closer, sometimes longer).
    • I have to turn off the fan I have in the garage when I chip. Guessing since chips aren't as loud as other shots, they aren't as easy for the R10 to pick up.
      • On this note, the washer and dryer are occasionally on in the garage when I use the R10. Sometimes that makes the R10 not pick up as many shots, but hitting short chips from about 4 feet away still gets better results than the usual full-shot distance. 

Overall, I'm thrilled with my R10. But it sure is frustrating when I'm stuck 13 yards away on HTH and hit a bunch of chips before I can get to the next hole! Hope this helps.

• ever since the latest update, 4.3, I've noticed this chipping issue has become very problematic again. I'll keep playing with solutions but it is about as bad as I've ever seen it. 

• since the new update short chips have been reading much better. 

• The 4.3 update has ruined chipping unfortunately. I went to the chipping section on e6 and tested this from 20ft I’ve had 

1) ghost chips where I do a practice swing and the Garmin sends a shot out 

2) the unit freeze in the calculating screen for about 60 seconds and then send a 40 yard shot 

3) the unit completely freeze on the calculating screen and then I had to turn it off and on again 

4) shots that I know have carried 10-12 feet and they unit says 3 inches 

hopefully chipping can go back to how good it was before the update but keep the RCT as they are great for spin numbers 

• The 4.3 update has ruined chipping unfortunately. I went to the chipping section on e6 and tested this from 20ft I’ve had 

1) ghost chips where I do a practice swing and the Garmin sends a shot out 

2) the unit freeze in the calculating screen for about 60 seconds and then send a 40 yard shot 

3) the unit completely freeze on the calculating screen and then I had to turn it off and on again 

4) shots that I know have carried 10-12 feet and they unit says 3 inches 

hopefully chipping can go back to how good it was before the update but keep the RCT as they are great for spin numbers