Distance is so bad tried everything

Hello All / Support, 

Got mine in the UK as early as possible from Garmin/Retailer tried it today. I updated it on the garmin update thing to whatever was newest. 

The results ive had so far are shocking, i have fiddled about with the distance from ball 6ft 7ft 8ft even 9ft to see and nothing. The net to ball is 9ft so that is fine. Ive tried just on the grass on a box tilting it a little up and down but still distance is out. 

As you can see below (also tried with 9 but deleted session) my 7 iron is normally 155 - 160. And it is showing 100 - 110 yards.

Then driver i am normally around 240 - 260, avg is like 170 on this cant even break 200.. shocking. 

Any ideas? 

H

Top Replies

• Another good session today... there has to be something fundamentally wrong here, unless they spent no time testing.

Check your firmware version and make sure it's 3.60.  For people with…

All Replies

• I agree with Tantrumus, all things considered, the unit has some positives.  It's generally accurate, not Trackman ($20,000) accurate, but accurate enough to get a sense of where your clubs are landing.  There are many factors that could effect reads.  Even at the range, with no one else around, the read then depends on what used range balls do, for example, I think the unit only tracks the ball within a 100 foot flight (at best) and then calculates where the ball should land and range balls sometimes have a mind of their own.

The unit is also, small and convenient, and fits in a golf club bag.

The software is ok, but there's room for improvement and I believe Garmin is working on it.

For now, what seems to be working for some people is using the unit with the E6 software. They say they get better reads with the E6 software as opposed to the Garmin Golf app on the iPad/iPhone. Perhaps the E6 software does a better job of reading the data.  If you haven't tried it, I would give it a go.

• It is not fit for purpose, see above, distances are 40 years aout with 7 iron and drives wont break 200.  They advertise specific allowances of which mine fall well under. 

Do you know if home tee hero tracks any different then it does on the free range on the app. I didnt want to pay for the HTH if it didnt track distance on the range. 

I am getting a new unit and maybe with the 3.7 update it will get close. Fingers crossed.

I wouldnt even moan if it was 10 yards out even 15.

I think they need to improve for hitting into an outdoor net. Im 9ft to 10ft ball to bet so more than acceptable to see an accepatble reading.

• I think they need to improve for hitting into an outdoor net. Im 9ft to 10ft ball to bet so more than acceptable to see an accepatble reading.

Have you gone through calibration and covered the brick? Brick seems like a common denominator in people showing massive shortfalls in distance.

I will say, indoors I am seeing large distance gaps in long irons and up in my current flawed and incomplete indoor environment (@range is quite good). I club up and play anyway, and scores continue to drop.

• Same for me. My driver normally carries 205-210 and rolls up to 240. The garmin is telling me that it carries 175 and rolls to 185. Please note that even on perfect strikes (I even used dry shampoo to check where I hit it) it read the same numbers. I’ve tested my numbers on a trackman recently and the trackman is telling me that I’m carrying it 205 and rolling it to 240! Not good enough considering the high enough price tag.

• And You didn't ever wonder why it is different?

Club head speed lower? Ball speed lower? HLA lower? Spin?

All of these will affect Your carry distance, and all of these metrics You can directly compare with trackman.

Forget about roll. This will never be the same on different simulators.

I also hit longer on Trackman. This is mostly because Trackman tells me I have higher CHS than my Garmin in the garage.

If this is because Garmin under measures my CHS, or because my garage has way less space than the Trackman simulator, I don't know. 

On course I hit even shorter than in my garage using Garmin, probably due to even lower CHS because of controlling the shot.

The point is that without comparing the numbers that ends up in a distance, it is impossible to have any meaning about accuracy of the unit.