Distance is so bad tried everything

Hello All / Support, 

Got mine in the UK as early as possible from Garmin/Retailer tried it today. I updated it on the garmin update thing to whatever was newest. 

The results ive had so far are shocking, i have fiddled about with the distance from ball 6ft 7ft 8ft even 9ft to see and nothing. The net to ball is 9ft so that is fine. Ive tried just on the grass on a box tilting it a little up and down but still distance is out. 

As you can see below (also tried with 9 but deleted session) my 7 iron is normally 155 - 160. And it is showing 100 - 110 yards.

Then driver i am normally around 240 - 260, avg is like 170 on this cant even break 200.. shocking. 

Any ideas? 

H

Top Replies

• Another good session today... there has to be something fundamentally wrong here, unless they spent no time testing.

Check your firmware version and make sure it's 3.60.  For people with…

All Replies

• A few folks on the Facebook group have reported good results when at 5.75’  Might be worth a shot.

Or try the driving range on E6, if you’re on a iOS device… I think you can adjust the altitude to extend distances.

• Ill try but pretty sure i tried closer aswell just to be safe. Is 0.25 ft really going to add the yrds i am missing? I am seeing that on earlier units there is a pote tial issue? 

Not going to pay for e6 when it isnt working. On android. 

• Just passing along info from Facebook user group.  Seems to have helped a few people.  I've only used mine at the range,..  my unit seems okay when estimating distance to hitting are using  two lengths of a 60deg wedge.

No E6 app for android... could be in the works.  But I wouldn't hold my breath.  Could try connecting the android phone to a PC through wifi for E6.  But it seems like a hassle to me.

Hope you get things sorted out.

• I would adjust R10-to-ball distance to 5.75 feet, and then ball to back of net to at least 10 feet. Garmin will recommend on a support call that you increase the flight distance to the extent possible.

After that, I might consider a tarp or something on the back of the net, as that brick wall could be playing a role, but I'd get the distances on point first.

• EXACT same issue.  Here are my notes that I posted on a different page on the R10 forum: my results, update on the R10: I hit in the driveway today using a net: iron distances seemed 5% shorter than what I normally hit, and fairway & driver distances were around 15% shorter.  I wonder if the unit needs much more than the 8' ball flight.  I did push the net back to 10' flight distance and it made no difference.

I honestly think that the unit needs much more distance than 8 feet to get an accurate read.  But I can only put the net so far back before I risk sending a ball into my neighbor's house. I am hoping that a new firmware update will address higher ball and swing speeds when hitting into a net.  On the range, it's a slightly different story, the current firmware update seems to have improved the accuracy.  The positive about hitting it on the range is that the unit has more distance to track and measure the hit and one can observe whether or not the read is valid.

Take a look at the forum page titled "R10 distances seem off" - you'll see many complaints/issues there which might help shed light on your problem as well.

• I have exactly teh same issue.

7 iron should carry 150/160 yards... saying 95/100 yards!

Ive gone through all the instructions, trouble shooting. Ive covered walls and removed potential obstructions.

But still teh same.

Do I have a faulty unit or is there something else?

(Note: indoors - 2.4m unit to ball. 2.4m ball to net.)

• (Note: indoors - 2.4m unit to ball. 2.4m ball to net.)

2.4m ball to net is too short. Everyone getting expected numbers is at least 8 feet and usually 10.

• I have tried closer and further away... but the Garmin is consistent in its measurements. There doesnt seem to be anything that changes it. It is extremely consistent.

• This issue is not related to ball to net on the basis that mine is 10ft

• Another good session today... there has to be something fundamentally wrong here, unless they spent no time testing. That one that went 200 was a a stinger that would have went no further then 160. 

All at 9.5ft ball to net and 5.75/ 6ft garmin to ball