R10 For Left Handed Golfers

Hi Everyone,

I read Garmin's comments about the image of the right handed clubhead on their stats screen (they say it doesn't affect the numbers) and that's fine, but for a lefty, like me, this adds a layer of mental processing that we shouldn't have to deal with.  How hard can it be to create a button for lefties that flips around that image and anything else in the app geared towards righties?  I get it, it's just an image and has no bearing on the numbers, but seeing that image there while trying to read the numbers just throws me off, and at that moment, makes me have to think about ignoring the image.  It's like reading the word "BLUE" while written in the color green.  It's just weird.

Creating the button for lefties would be great, but getting rid of the image altogether would be fine too.  Golf is tough enough.  Help!

Danny

• Update as of April 19th, 2023: 

We are still in the process of considering this request from left-handed Approach R10 users wanting an option to adjust the right-handed club graphics to display left-handed clubs in the Garmin Golf app.

At this time there are not any new announcements regarding an update for this request, and any new announcements regarding this change will be communicated once available. 

In the meantime, we are still monitoring customer feedback wanting the option to switch the graphic between right or left. I will be directly reaching out to users continuing to post on this thread for more info to submit to our team considering the change. 

The Left Handed Swing Detection With Approach R10 support page article is available with further info to reference if needed. 

• Terrible answer. [deleted] anybody???

Edited per Terms of Use.

• Garmin just make the image agnostic to club handedness and end this madness. In terms of your approach it could be a graphic of anything representing the horizontal and vertical profile of the point of impact.  If the data is agnostic then so should be the image. Put it to rest already, pleeease. As a lefty myself, I endorse this message.

• I understand that this has been an ongoing request for quite some time now. However, it is worth mentioning that the answer from Garmin has never been "no" on offering an option for this request...if that were the case, the update would make it clear that the option would not be offered. 

Garmin is looking further into possibly catering to this request, and I will update the thread if an outcome is determined...or if any further information becomes available regarding the addition of left handed options for the club graphics. 

• Understood. My proposed solution would eliminate the need to even incorporate additional functionality requiring buttons. If even in the short term, just replacing the image with something generic/agnostic or anything other than an actual club head would seemingly end this confusion. 2 cents thrown from a UI/UX designer.

I think the general contention is found in what appears to be a very "simple" solution by customers with very little movement or compromise in what is clearly frustrating some users.

In either case, certainly appreciate you stepping out of the shadows to comment on the request.

• Something akin to this or even more agnostic.

• I would have expected this is an easy fix for Garmin.

I am not sure the developers realise how difficult it is being a lefty in a righty world. When learning golf, many of the books, videos and even personal coaches teach for right handers and when presented with an image of a right handed club a lefty's brain flips the images and directions automatically to compensate. It's very tiring having to do this all the time. A generic club image that has no direction would help this (or just have a left handed setting to provide a 'lefty image's would help correct that).

Obviously I'm not the only one who thinks this here, and no-one at Garmin is a lefty learner golfer.

• Stop with the mean nothing updates.  This is not a difficult or costly adjustment. Stop advertising it doesn't matter if your right or left handed.  It does. 5 degrees left will allways be open for a left and closed for right handed. Draw and fade are not hust opposite.  Do it or offer refunds to those who would want one. ( Which I Imagine would run into the millions of dollars). IT'S BEEN OVER 2 YEARS 

• I reached out to you requesting information through direct message to get your feedback submitted. I still have not received a response as of yet. 

• I have started everything ( facts) that needs to be said.