R10 distances seem off.

I have been using the R10 for a couple days now and my distances seems way off. Seems very club is approx 20yards short from the range? Is there anything that needs to be done with calibration?

• Remember the majority of users don't have a problem with the distances or spin and are happy. (Quite majority)

• Ok, so You have issues.

Fair enough.

See no point in continuing this discussion.

• I think my unit was not level so the launch angle was way low giving short carries. Seems better after I got a leveling stand from Etsy and the RCT balls. The reason I'm searching now is it still seemed short to me. Could just be inflated ego but I used impact tape and hit a couple dead center with no spectacular results. I'm hitting into a net with home tee hero by the way.

• Well, still this does not tell me anything.

Seems short?

Ok, what carry do You get, what club are You using, what is Your club speed / ball speed?

What is the spin reading, aoa, launch angle?

There are many parameters that are affecting distance, but without any numbers I have nothing to compare it to.

As an example, with my driver i have atound 90 mph club speed. With a smash of around 1,45, the ball speed should be approx 130 mph, which in turn results in a carry of approx 200 yds. 

If the reading from the app was 150-160, I would say it appears low, right?

But then I at least can have a look at the data and find out why it is low.

• It's hard to give much detail because I was in home tee hero. I had contact tape on the face of my 22d hybrid and flushed it in the center. It might have had lower spin than normal with the tape, but from memory I got total distance of less than 170 yards. I would carry a five iron that far with that quality of strike. I was teeing off with the hybrid many times and it just wasn't going anywhere, though they were mostly mishits. Maybe the fairway in the game is super lush whereas the real course was as dry as a bone late this summer. I'm planning to move the net a little further away to see if it helps. Currently it's nine feet from the ball and the Garmin is just under eight feet from the ball and registered as such in the app.

It seems like the warmup session in the Garmin driving range was fine. Even got an eight iron to carry 148, which is good for me.

• As far as I know there is no difference in the calculations between hth and range.

So I would try a range session with the hybrid and focus on carry.

Total distance playing hth may vary from real life. That is something I've seen also playing hth on my home course. One hole is uphill, and on hth the ball came rolling back which it has never done in real life.

Wind settings compared to real life will also have quite a large impact.

But for me playing familiar courses in hth is quite realistic, although more forgiving in many cases.

• Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I mentioned two days earlier I was twenty strokes better with worse ball striking same course. The variables introduced were more clubs had contact tape and it might have been sprinkling rain and was windy. The net and a foot or two of ball flight were somewhat exposed. But I'm still scratching my head. Will try to learn more next session as you suggest.

• Hi Garmin Rob,

Could you please give me some assistance also with inaccurate reading involving launch angles and distances from my long irons to woods. I’ve been troubleshooting and doing research for about 2 days now. Thank you

• Tried out the 22d hybrid with Garmin Golf Driving Range. I used an RCT ball with the net twelve feet away and the device 7 feet behind. It seemed that in the rare instance in which I made a good strike, carry was 190 +/- 5 yards with my ES14 with a launch angle of 14-15 degrees. Garmin Golf showed 175 +/- 5 yards with launch angle around 7.5 degrees. I could mostly compensate for this with an altitude setting of 4000 feet, but it didn't work for my 13d 3-wood. Launch was just too low. Spin was about 500-1000 rpm low as well. I was wondering if we could tip the device forward slightly and calibrate and use in that orientation to circumvent this issue. I had calibrated it and used it in the level position for the test. It seems like the ball speed was 5 mph slower with the R10 as well, which would account for some of the difference.

• Low launch angle seems to be the main issue.

10 mph club speed change normally equals a distance change of 25 yds. If You calculate a smash factor of 1,4, then 10 mph club speed equals around 14 mph ball speed, and 5 mph change in ball speed is less than 10 yards.

Low spin gives further distance, and would approx cancel ball speed decrease.

So yes, low launch angle is the problem. Try tilting forward, yes.

I don't trust that ES14 is more accurate than garmin R10.

Especially when it comes to spin using RCT balls, as this is now measured. Ball speed is also measured on R10, so not sure which is more accurate. 5 mph difference is quite a lot. My bet would be the Garmin is more correct.

Again, the best comparison in my opinion is comparing shots with shots on range, as the R10 I have found to be very accurate on range.

But indoor it struggles with low ball flights, and this is probably the main reason for short distances with long irons/woods.

Altitude settings has made it possible to compensate that, but the root cause is not fixed yet in my opinion.