This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Scorecard Issue when recording more than one player

I used my G80 for the first time yesterday in a medal, and decided to also record my playing partners round as well as mine. Both scores were recorded in-full, and saved at the end of the round, before syncing with the Garmin Golf app on my android phone.

When I got back to the clubhouse, I noticed that although my score had been recorded in my recent rounds, when I actually clicked on the round info, there was no information whatsover - just the overall score - and each hole had no score, or number of putts/fairway direction information.

When I returned home, I played around with the device, and entered scores as if I was playing, and discovered that when recording one round, all of the round information is transfered when synced with the Garmin Golf app. Yet as soon as you enter more than one player, all you get is the overall round total, and no other data such as your score on each hole.

Not an issue with the app, an issue with the software on the device, so an update would be appreciated in due course.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I used to be able to have pretty good reliability in uploading the score w/ other players, but for some reason now, it's random when it works/doesn't work.

Before I would make sure to open the Garmin Golf app on my phone (android), make sure it was synchronized. Then on the G80 device, press "save round". Then after, go back on the app, and re-synchronize. 

This method used to work 9/10 times and was "good enough".

But now, with the new garmin golf updates, sometimes my 9th hole would not even display, and my scorecard won't even upload. 

For some reason, the G80 and app recorded my score when my round was cut short by Los Angeles county curfew 2 weeks ago, but it wouldn't record my 3 most recent 18 hole and 9 hole games since then (using the previous synchronize strategy)

Also just wondering for Garmin Developers (from someone with a CompSci background as well), can you please let us users do at least one of the following:

1. Allow us to upload the .FIT round data via the files stored on the G80 to circumvent the bluetooth synch issues.

or 

2. Just allow us to view stored scorecards on the G80 locally. I see the .FIT files when I connect my device via USB that are stored on the device, so I know they're stored locally on the device. 

Overall, I'm kinda bummed that for a MSRP $500 device, the simplest function of keeping score is a bugged feature, but then again, I'm happy that at least the launch monitor is +/- 2% accurate and the yardage works extremely well, but yeah, I'm sticking to also writing down on a paper scorecard and taking a picture of it right before I possibly save/send my scorecard down a black hole.

• Sadly, it's beginning to look like Garmin only action bug fixes and updates depending upon the number of users that report the same fault, even if they acknowledge that there is an issue.

I have been trying to explain to them that since covid-19 -  with many golf clubs removing physical scorecards - G80 users will most likely want to record the scores for their playing partners too, which probably wasn't a big issue pre-covid. I first reported this nine months or so ago, and despite sending in screenshots and testing different scenarios, still nothing has been updated.

The G80 is a great device for using on the range (with the launch monitor) and also as a GPS, but this buggy software glitch - which I assume is not all that difficult to fix - let's the device down. 

I've always used SkyCaddie devices before switching to the G80, and I have to say that their support was spot on, and irrespective how many people reported a bug, it was resolved. If there's a bug in the software, surely any developer has an obligation to resolve it irrespective if its affects three users or three thousand... 

• Dear Chris,

I have had the similar issue several times although not always.

Yesterday I played 18 holes with my friend Wessel. His scorecard does not appear after bluetooth sync, neither after wired synch using garmin express. I gladly share the file with you, if you tell me how.

• I've had so many issues with G80 now that I'm selling it. It has the potential to be a great device, and although Chris has been superb, sadly the same can't be said for the rest of Garmin's support. Still got the same issues as you, and not a single update in the last year is scandalous for what is Garmin's premium GPS device.

• Same problem here, lost my friends score. The G80 suddenly jump to the wrong hole when I should input the score so it was a mess to fix all scores.

I plan to send it back, has used it for 2 weeks now.. Disappointed

• This same thing has happened twice in the last week.  So many posts about the same problem.  Must not be a high priority in their engineering dept.

• Update.....  Talked with Customer Service Rep. and explained this problem.....he decided that he would exchange my G80 for a new one.....he overnighted a brand new one and now I have tried it twice in the past week 

SAME PROBLEM  !!!!!

The syncing dropped my buddies score and only shows my total score and no individual hole scores.  

Definitly not worth the money.!!!

• I am sorry your G80 was exchanged when that would not resolve the issue. The multiple scorecard issue is a combination issue with the Approach G80 and when syncing through the Golf APP. In my own testing and working with customers, if you do not allow Bluetooth connection and sync a multiple player scorecard through the Golf APP, but instead sync using Garmin Express, the multiple players will show in Garmin Connect.

This is by no means acceptable and is only a work around. The core issue itself, still needs to be resolved.

• While waiting for an answer from support, this is an online workaround that I've used so we at least can retrieve some info for my golf partner.

It requires a few steps, your PC + preferably Excel (Win), Numbers (Mac) - or just a text editor if you prefer - etc;

• In your computers file browser, find the connected Garmin G80 unit
    • Browse the folder structure, and find the Scorecards folder
      • In there you'll find .fit files per registered round
    • Use an online .fit viewer - example: https://www.fitfileviewer.com
      • This can  "translate" the .fit scorecard fomat, and let you download comma separated files (.csv)
    • Open your file
      • Make sure you turn off any filters - inf FitFile viewer, there's a little filter in the top right corner
    • You'll now be presented with a bunch of .csv files. You can preview the content by clicking the arrow to the right in fitfilewiever.com.

Tip: For me the real content was in the biggest file (most rows) - typically the last file.

Download and open the .csv file in Numbers or Excel presents various data points as shown below (First you'll get all data for first player (player 0), then next player etc.)

Stamp/time code? • (empty) • Player ID • Hole # • Strokes • (unknown) • # Putts • Par

123456789 • • 0 • 1 • 6 • -1 • 2 • 5

123457789 • • 0 • 2 • 4 • -1 • 2 • 3

123457799 • • 0 • 3 • 4 • -1 • 2 • 5

123757799 • • 1 • 1 • 5 • -1 • 2 • 5

124757799 • • 1 • 2 • 4 • -1 • 1 • 3

and so on

Example ("-1" - not sure what it reflects right now - 0 is first player, 1 is next player and so on. Then it's hole number, and the score for the hole, and final underlined is the registered # of putts. ):

Hope that can resolve some frustration - did on our end!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

For the price of the G80 you really do get sub par (excuse the pun) goods from Garmin. 

I have requested Garmin to refund this as the manufacturer. I have kept my receipt and I hope that Garmin would honour a refund.