App Sailing Basics

# Sailing Basics

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/174c8fa1-9ba5-436a-b41b-75a67f984e94

App Designed for Sailing Keelboat Racing,

Race Timer, with Optional Time and Distance to Line

Course Navigation (Requires Course Text File to be hosted on OneDrive, Google Drive or Alternate)

Windward Mark Navigation (Navigate to Dropped Pin)

Session Recording as Sailing Activity

User Manual: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AnKPKOEO2m7Mi7gvSU_DdRVTjinsnA?e=ePp7gC

Feedback Appreciated :) 

Acknowledgements:
Sailing Basics was largely inspired by Yet Another Sailing App and shares some underlying code/functions which made learning the programming language and implementing new ideas significantly quicker.

Limitations

The App was initialy designed for Round Face Fenix 5 and above (Button Controls)

Touch Controls and Square Face Devices are supported but may not have the best experience

• There doesn’t seem to be anyway to start a recording on my Venu 2s. When on the recording screen it just shows the Orange status square, and no way to start the activity.

• Thanks, only have the simulator for the Venu 2 so havent tried it on the real device,

by design it should be started by tapping the screen, or there is an option in  the settings for the app to auto-start recording when you enter the screen,

the only think to be aware of is It wont start recording if you have a weak GPS signal but that should only take a few minutes max if the device has been off for a while,

if that doesnt fix it let me know.

• The weak GPS seems to have been the problem - I kept testing it in the house where it never found a GPS signal, but tested it on a walk today and it started after about 30 seconds. I'll give it a go sailing tomorrow - thanks for your help!

• Have implemented this in the latest release , in the process found the devices only offer you a true compass reading from the GPS (no magnetic compass readings available) so have added an option to offset the true reading which should allow you to align it with your magnetic compass, 

Robin

• Sorry if this is silly question - but how do I get data out of the app / watch after a race - eg the saved track - where / how is that accessible?

• You can view it in the Garmin connect App on your phone or on their website https://connect.garmin.com/

it’s found  in the calendar view on the phone connect app

• Great many thanks

• hello, I sail windsurfing and 49er. during a regatta I am always standing and I do not have my two hands free to adjust the watch. Besides, I'm old and can't see very well anymore.Grin

after a general reminder, if you are in "course" mode, only one button must be pressed to be ready for the new procedure (one long press on the middle left button). It's great.

but if the procedure is interrupted within 5 minutes before departure, or after start if you are in mode "start sail",  you must stop the timer and display the 5 minutes for the new departure. Currently, this requires 9 actions on 3 different buttons. is it possible to improve this?

• Apologies I completly forgot to add this... will update you when done

• HI, thanks for your app!! Is great!! Actually the best I tested until now. Just one thing: is there a way to convert or generate the JSON file from google sheet directly or converting a GPX there? (I don't have excel :/ )