Smart Bike Lights (Data Field) / Bike Lights Control (Widget)

I've made two open source CIQ applications to control ANT+ lights:

- Smart Bike Lights (data field): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0d9fd828-c932-4470-9c37-fd2828881888 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/SmartBikeLights/ 

- Bike Lights Control (widget): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/fa3c2332-76e3-4ba1-8528-32a0fd617ab1 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/BikeLightsControl/ 

Smart Bike Lights features:
- Automatic light control (Smart mode) based on the configured filters (sunset, sunlight, speed, ...)
- Manual light control (only for Edge devices with a touch screen or devices with CIQ 3.2 and more than 32KB memory)
- Records lights modes that are displayed in Garmin Connect

Bike Lights Control features:
- Manual light control (available to all devices)

Both applications can be installed on the same device, which can be useful for low end devices (e.g. Edge 520) where "Bike Lights Control" can be used to change light modes manually and "Smart Bike Lights" for automatic light control.

Currently registered ANT+ lights:
- Bontrager Ion Pro RT
- Bontrager Ion 200 RT
- Bontrager Flare RT
- Garmin Varia RTL500
- Garmin Varia RTL510
- Garmin Varia RTL515
- Garmin Varia HL500
- Garmin Varia UT800

in case your ANT+ light is not on the list you can help by doing the following:

1. Install Bike Lights Control
2. Pair your bike light with your Garmin device
3. Open the widget:
- Edge with a touch screen: post which numbers are displayed on the buttons and what mode each button represents when pressed
- Other devices: Select the "Light modes" menu and post which numbers are displayed in the menu and what mode each menu item represents when selected

Example for Bontrager Ion Pro RT:

1 -> High steady beam
2 -> Medium steady beam
5 -> Low steady beam
63 -> Day flash
62 -> Night flash

There are some features that could be possible to add in the future, but would require Garmin to add them to the CIQ api. In case you are interested in any of the below features, consider upvoting their feature request thread:

1. Control lights based on the ambient light sensor available on some devices:
https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/i/bug-reports/ambient-light-sensor-api-access 

• Hi, 

here is the configuration:

1,1!:1H]0###0,73535488#3,3!NIGHT:1:6:0:0Es0,r0!RADAR:1:7:0:0I]-1]0!:1:0:0:0D=1##6,5:Varia 515!2,:-1,Off:0!1,Solid:4!1,Peloton:5!1,Day Flash:7!1,Night Flash:6#0::#0:0#123!:123!#B3011##3#0#0

Would be somehow possible, when "RADAR" control is done, that it would make tone?

Unfortunately Connect IQ does not have an API to make a tone.

• I see there is a Bryton gardia 300 coming out later.  normally it has longer battery life than the rtl515.  but I wonder if using SmartBikeLights one could configure the RTL515 for radar only, or at least turn off the lights fully when not needed.  in that case any one has experience how long it would last in mostly radar only mode?

• thank you very much for config.

• It is possible to use Varia for radar only even without Smart Bike Lights by setting the Garmin "Light Mode" to "Individual" and then switch the light mode to "Off". With Smart Bike Lights you can configure to turn on Varia only when you want, for example the following configuration will turn it on only at nighttime (for Edge 1030):

###0,73535488#2,2!NIGHT:1:4:0:0Es0,r0!:1:0:0:0D=1##6,5:Varia 515!2,:-1,Off:0!1,Solid:4!1,Peloton:5!1,Day Flash:7!1,Night Flash:6#0::#0:0#123!:123!#B2713##3#0#0

• Hello ! I bought a Garmin 830 + Varia 516 for my father in law, and discovered that it would not blink when a car is approching. When I noticed Smart Bike Lights might do the job I was happy, but I don't know how to configure the app through the Lights Configuration in order to get :

- fixed low light during (day and night) when no car is detected by the radar

- blinking (high intensity) light when a car is detected (hopefully other bikes are not detected as car when riding in peloton ?)

Many thanks for your help!

• I just found that ref. 516 is supposed to be sold in Germany and other countries where blinking lights are NOT allowed. I therefore should have bought a 515 model in France where I live Confounded

• Hi,

To my current knowledge, there is no way to make RTL516 flash, therefore the configuration that you want is not possible to achieve. In theory Smart Bike Lights could constantly turn on/off the light to simulate flashing, but the problem is that the delay between each flash would be approx. three seconds based on some testing, which is not great.

• Hi:

I used edge1030 to control magene L508 still fail. The edge1030 can display L508 the statue (like battery and current light mode). but touch button can not change the light mode. can you help check it.

here is the configuration:

###0,73535488:0,222401656#2,2!NIGHT:1:6:0:0Es0,r0!:1:0:0:0D=1##6,5:Magene 508!2,:-1,Off:0!1,Solid:4!1,Peloton:5!1,Flash:7!1,Pulse:6#0::#0:1#123!:123!#B2713##13#0#0

• Hi,

to me seems like that Megene has also partially implemented ANT+ Lights profile similar to See.Sense and Cycliq lights. Try to use Individual Light Network instead by doing the following:
    1. Write down the device number of the light from the Garmin Sensors -> Lights menu
    2. Disable the light from the Garmin Sensor Menu
    3. Update your configuration by checking "Use Individual Light Network" and set the device number of the light
    4. Check whether you can control the lights by using the buttons of the data field

@tjj1664 can you change the light modes of your Magene L508 by using the data field?

• First of all thank you for your help
    Because I don't want to increase your troubles, there is no immediate feedback on the usage of the L508

I also can't control the L508 from the smart bike light app, but when I press the button of the light, I see that the smart bike light also changes accordingly and my headlight Ion 200 RT disconnects
    I will try your 4 instructions and see if it works
    Thanks again

By the way, compare the difference between VARIA 515 and magene L508
    Radar reliability VARIA 515>magene L508
    magene L508 will only flash for 3 seconds when a vehicle is detected
    Magene L508 has SMART BRAKING SENSING
    Magene L508 beam is softer

Thanks again