Widget: BLE remote control for Insta360 One R 360° Action Cam

[updated 2023-04-05]

A widget to remote control (via Bluetooth) Insta360's One R & X cameras.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-EN/apps/bb53f4bb-6c8c-4369-bca9-84cc09b25526

Also available as a data-field for touch based Edge device

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/f0cdaa9c-5733-4748-ba66-1c7a3b008922

Insta360 Remote Control

Features:

• Start / Stop Recording
  • Select  video or photo shooting mode (Standard, HDR, Time-lapse, 24-25-30 fps, etc).
  • Send GPS telemetry to the camera to be stored in the video file.
  • Add a "Highlight" marker in the video file (not available in the DF).
  • Add a "Track That" marker  in the video file(not available in the DF).
  • Last state is saved, so will resume where it was if the widget exits or was disconnected.

Known limitation & issues:

• Users have reported that this widget also works with the One X, X2 & X3, but the menus for the various shooting modes are only the ones available one the One R
  • Same goes with the 4K & 1inch module of the One R: only the shooting modes for the 360° module are availbale
  • The widget will auto exit after some time (depending on your device). This is a limitation from Garmin.If you have a newr watch (starting with Fenix 7) you can use the widget as an app, and it won't exit,
  • The widget can be launched from within one of Garmin's official activity (but not if you are in Glance mode) by pressing & holding the back button.
  • There is no countdown / delay option
  • While the widget is active, if the recording is started or stopped from the camera, the widget will react accordingly but will not know in which mode the camera is in.
  • When starting the widget, if it indicates that the camera is still recording and it's not the case, got to the menu and re-select a shooting mode. This will reset the widget.

This thread is to discuss problems with the widget and also possible future functionality.

Have fun!

Greg

• Hi Greg! First of all: great widget! Thanks for the work done!
    I've tested it quickly with my X3 and Edge 830 while Edge was on my table. All fine, could start and stop recording.
    Yesterday I did a first ride with X3. As soon as I switched to widget while cycling Edge reported short disconnects and reconnects of sensors. Can't tell which sensors were effected as it happens too quick.
    Is it a known behaviour? I think connection to X3 is on BT while all my sensors are ANT+.
    I didn't check your data field yet, maybe it behaves different.
    Best
    Oliver

• How many other sensors have you connected to the Edge 830? I'm afraid that there is not much that can be done except disconnecting some sensors. The BLE protocol with the X3 is pretty "chatty", even when not recording. I've seen better implementation of communication protocols. The datafield might put a bit less stress on the Edge CPU, but in terms of communication protocol it's the same as widget. However don't install both at the same time, they don't cooperate well...

• It works with my Forerunner 945 and One RS, but I can't find the way to launch it during the  activity.. :/ Long press "Back" button doesn't work. I have tried to set a new shortcut but there's no such a field to get to this widget. Maybe someone can help?

Anyway the app is great and very helpful! Thank you very much Greg! 

• It seems that the Forerunner series does not have the "back to the watch-face & widget loop" function. Can you start the widget as a separate App ? That's also a function of the newer watches, but you won't be able to record an activity

• Why in my video recodinh there is no telemeter? I can only start and stop recording through my Garmin finex 7

• Why in my video recodinh there is no telemeter? I can only start and stop recording through my Garmin finex 7

• Make sure to wait until you get the 3 green bars and only then start recording.
    After that, In the app you can access the GPS statistics (they might start 5s or 10s after the start).
  • Hi, I am using forerunner 158 and have issue: the insta360 widget is avtive for about 2 or 3 minutes and then disappear. So how to make it alive all the time until I close it? thanks

• Hi, I am using forerunner 158 and have issue: the insta360 widget is avtive for about 2 or 3 minutes and then disappear. So how to make it alive all the time until I close it? thanks

• That's a limitation from Garmin. Widgets are short lived.