Watchface: M2

This is the support thread for the M2 watchface:

has created a Facebook group for designs here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/423319952037948

And this PDF files contains a quick visual index to the designs posted in this thread: >>>    ForumProfiles1.pdf    <<<

To create your own design or modify one, install & use the M2 Designer app on your watch. These are the steps you would go through:

• Optionally paste a text code into the "Profile Text" setting of M2 Designer & save the settings, or load one of your previously saved designs (either via the settings or the in-app menu).
  • Run the M2 Designer app (found underneath your activities list) and create your design.
  • Once you've finished, open the Garmin settings for M2 Designer.
  • The text code in "Profile Text" will now represent whatever your design looks like, so copy the text code from "Profile Text" - and be careful to select the whole text.
  • Close the settings for M2 Designer.
  • Open the Garmin settings for M2 (watchface) instead.
  • Delete any text that was already in "Profile Text" - this step helps to avoid potential problems
  • Paste the text code into "Profile Text".
  • Save the settings.
  • Now when you view the M2 watchface it will show your changes.

A guide for accessing the Garmin settings is here: https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/w/wiki/14/changing-your-app-settings-in-garmin-express-gcm-ciq-mobile-store.

Profile text for the default display = 01Ys2525111WDPO1011WwWO020Vc121VZ11WwXw03X7C11WwVd035C13NC13XDC19010000

------------------

Notes on 12-hour and 24-hour display options - see 4 posts down (with Oldest first) ...

See the latest posts by clicking newest (if it is visible just below) or using the page navigation (if visible at the very bottom).

• Cool Slight smile And yep tricky on the touchscreens (even more than other watches!)

Although I have an idea I'll investigate this weekend Slight smile It's possible to run M2 Designer in the Garmin CIQ Simulator - so I need to check what the simplest configuration to run the simulator is. If I can provide some easy instructions with for example just one file to run, then it could be straightforward for anyone to run it on their PC. Then anyone could use a mouse to click on the watch buttons in the simulator etc to create a profile for M2. But we'll see what I find out ...

• Hi

I noticed that steps ring doesn't show up at zero position (when day changes) when using one of the following styles: ring circular/slash/arrow, other styles do work. When steps increase so that indicator moves to first non-zero position, it starts to show normally however. Only color value is set.

• You are correct - well noticed, it's a subtle difference Slight smile This is intended currently, but it might be nice to be able to change how this works. I could add an extra option to the ring menus maybe.

The difference is due to the graphics for the ring - one is a "ring" style and one is a "secs" (or seconds) style. And the difference between them is this:

• "ring" = these are used like a bar filling up, so the first block of the bar is only displayed once the value (steps) is high enough to have filled that first block. So nothing is displayed below that (like at 0). These "ring" graphics are aligned to fill the space between second indicators: so the first one is between 0 and 1 second, the next one is between 1 and 2 seconds etc. The first appears at 1/60th complete, the 2nd appears at 2/60th complete.
    • "secs" (or seconds) = these are used to indicate the start and end point of the bar (so one is always displayed at 0 value, at the start of the fill). These "secs" graphics are aligned exactly with the second indicators. The first appears at 0. The 2nd appears at 1/60th complete. The 3rd appears at 2/60th complete.

So in your case you are not displaying the "filled" or "unfilled" parts of the bar, and only the "value". But the code is just displaying the last segment of the bar as the "value" color. It seems like maybe another special case you have found.

So maybe a menu option like: "Always display value at 0 (if using value color)" - although note that the 2nd block of the bar wouldn't appear until you hit 2/60ths of the total value.

Or it could be a menu option like "Display fill style or display start/end style" - where "fill style" is like a bar filling up (rings) and "start/end style" indicates the start & end of the bar (like the secs currently) - this menu option might be more useful and flexible in different situations.

Sorry for the long description, but any thoughts, let me know Slight smile

• Thanks for the explanation, makes perfect sense.

I think it's not beneficial to make larger logic changes for my special corner cases but rather the last thing you mentioned that has broader usability would be smartest choice, if any. If you ever have time to add this, would be nice.

For now I'll switch to different indicator style and all is well.

Thank you.

• Ok I've added it to my list Slight smile

• Just uploaded a new version of M2 and M2 Designer (0.1.23) with a couple of extra "visibility" options (for fields & elements):

• Visibility based on steps completion of your daily goal (0-25%, 25-50%, 50-75%, 75-100% and 100%+)
    • Visibility based on "walking" or "not walking" (Walking counts as 30 steps/min for at least 2 minutes) - this is just something I'm trying currently, so it might change! If anyone else tries it feel free to send me feedback. In the future, I might potentially make a profile switch option based on this too (similar to the Gesture profile), so that the whole display can change.
  • I present my current iteration/work in progress

Fields:

• dayname dd.mm
    • hh mm
    • current steps, step goal
    • notifications (*), intensity minutes, low battery (*)
    • * visible only if >0 notifs and battery<low limit

Rings:

• green up right: intensity minutes (going 5th time around) CW from top
    • yellow left: battery percentage current value 100-0 CCW from top
    • red arrow bottom left: current steps CW from top
    • green/yellow are on different levels, red/green can and do overlap but still always visible

38126901Ys2625131WIKO1011WwM0WsF0EWrVZ713N713Vo713N71ZCI0Vd7040WwVpXd1VXWwW30WbVV653N714L0E3VW7E1WwWf023Q521O71WwY403X7713N7136713S713B718100Vx0Vd08370Vx0O08AB0Vx0E0

• Spent months trying to find the perfect face until I found your app a few days ago. Awesome work. Donation coming your way.

• First off, Mark, this is awesome! Admittedly cumbersome... But the options are near endless. So thanks so much!

As you can see, I bucked the trend with a watch face that's not all about battery life. I almost filled up the memory bar when making this. I wanted something that would quickly and simply show me the most common things I like to know in a way I found aesthetically pleasing. I'll probably make a simpler 'efficient' one later.

Breakdown/Description:

• I used the 'foreground' colour as a way to theme. The rest of the colours are black and shades of grey/white... Hopefully if u load it, you'll be able to change the 'theme' to your liking.
    • YES, I effectively drew the time twice just to get a themed shadow effect. Previous versions didn't have a shadow but had the minute in the themed colour. The hours can often be partly overlapped by minutes and steps... This was a deliberate stylistic choice - the darker grey hour ensures everything is still very readable.
    • Seconds is On Gesture. I stole someone else's idea of only showing every 5 secs,with themed colour coming every 15.
    • Battery fills up and changes to low batt mode
    • World time
    • Dark grey/coloured Phone Connect/Alarm icons
    • Sunrise/Sunset
    • DND moon not normally visible
    • Left - Step count and goal with no limit bar*
    • Right - Intensity Minutes count and smart goal with no limit bar*
    • Daily km and kCal
    • Movebar
    • Current HR

1. Wish there was a way to do design off the watch... This took like a full day!... But i understand how and why
    2. Being able to set 1 or 2 more theme colours would be nice.
    3. HR graph - I removed because I would prefer something that gave me stats for the last hr/day/week. As it in only shows history of the last minute or so.
    4. I had some trouble loading/saving multiple profiles to the watchface... But i worked it out... It may be a bit buggy, but I'll let u know if I figure out exactly what kept going wrong
    5. *I LOVE the no limit ring feature... However it doesn't work if the ring is not complete. If you could address this, that'd be AMAZING!
    6. Weather would be nice... But i understand it'd be a huge endeavour to add it
    7. I'd like moon phases too... If that can be done separately

Again... It's awesome! Thanks so much.

This is for the red theme.

01Ys2Vd5VyG11WDPQ101817VXVv1538WD7R31531XAWK220Vj11X6WO220Vj31XJWH021911XGWK021951WzX613X7451XOWy13541PdM055101WwYc0ZCVY0VdYQVX0VwYQVY05YQVX0RZBVa451WwYK03Vl453Q443Wm441WwY00XeE03XOE01WcC03WMC011UXm14S013Vf453Q443Vg441YOXm23Vh453Q443Vi444T01VnXDXK04VV011F

XD14L011DWx13VV451DWi13VW441YdXD24P011YfWx23Vo451YfWi23Vq441VZVt13Xw413Vr451YJVt23Vn454Q011WwP05003455101Ww503Ve454R01

• - cool design, thanks for posting! Good to see the limits of M2 being pushed Slight smile

Good suggestion for extra "theme colors" in the designer - would make it easy to try different combinations - so I've noted it down Slight smile

For designing off the watch - I'm going to have a look this afternoon at putting a simple package together for anyone to be able to run M2 Designer in the Garmin CIQ simulator (on PC). I'll report back how this goes ...

I do have some plans for the HR chart - like resizing it, different draw modes and different time scales - but it will depend what I can manage to fit in to the available memory!

Good suggestion too for allowing "no limit" to work on partial ring arcs - it should be possible, and I guess it just needs to work as though the start and end of the arc are connected (as though it's a full ring). You also have me wondering if I can add a similar option for the Rects (bars) too.

Weather and moon phases would be nice - the difficulty is running out of available memory currently - which gets used up both by code and new icons. Some watches do allow more memory for watchfaces which M2 is not using currently (like the Vivo 4, Star Wars & Avenger watches) - so maybe one day I can try adding these just for "higher memory" watches.

The multiple profiles is tricky, both to use in the settings and also in the code! So if you work out what any problem was then I'd be interested to know. As soon as you start using more than one profile it counts as "advanced" Slight smile And I'd then always recommend using the "save" and "load" options for profile management, and closing & reopening the Garmin Connect Mobile settings page in between each change of the settings.