Can CIQ Ignore DeviceSettings for Tones / Vibrate?

Just throwing this out there.

in the API, there are ways to check for the device settings on the watch w/ regards to Tones and Vibrate (namely being turned on or off)

Let's say the result of the check - DeviceSettings.TonesOn = False (meaning, User has turned off the ability for the watch to generate a tone, can my app ignore this and still go ahead with playing the tone?

I'm guess that this is a NO both in terms of 1) it's user preference 2) CIQ can't override the system

So the best way to troubleshoot a user's problem if it's go to do with the User Settings (settings --> Sounds --> Vibrate / Alert Tones) is to display to the user if he/she has enabled or disabled these?

Thanks

Top Replies

All Replies

• User has turned off the ability for the watch to generate a tone, can my app ignore this and still go ahead with playing the tone?

You can try to, but the tone/vibrate will not play.

So the best way to troubleshoot a user's problem if it's go to do with the User Settings (settings --> Sounds --> Vibrate / Alert Tones) is to display to the user if he/she has enabled or disabled these?

I don't understand the question. If the user has turned off tones and vibrations, and tones and vibrations aren't playing, there isn't anything to troubleshoot, right?

• Thanks again Travis. 

Here's what happening which basically got my Frustration level up a notch.

I'm coding my GymTimer app (https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/542affcf-e440-43d4-a118-5aa3bba2f14e) and a user on a Fenix6pro comes back and says that he cannot get any vibrations to come out. 

I told him that can't be true due to it having the same code base as my own Fenix 5x+ and works. I also went to verify w/ another user (albeit on a Fenix 6x Pro not a Fenix6pro) that it works. But the user came back and told me - that's not the same watch!

so I went, okay... 

I went to further troubleshoot it with him (frustration level going up again :-p) asking him to check his Settings --> Sounds --> Vibrate / Alert Tones ON THE WATCH.

He told me he did, so basically i trusted that he did. But it still doesn't vibrate (but it plays a tone).

Ended up, I coded a test app to check for Sys.getDeviceSettings().tonesOn and Sys.getDeviceSettings().vibrateOn Like below image. When the user came back with the results, it shows on the screen that DvcVibeOn == False!! (meaning that the user himself has turned off this Vibration ability. I also did ask him if it works outside of my app and he says yes!!). I told him to change this setting then it will be fixed.

Then he showed me what he change. This is witihin the GC Web. 

When I tried it using GCM (meaning - use GCM to change the settings like "key tones") and then sync to the watch, lo and behold - these changes does not get changed in the watch.

I requested the user to do it within the watch. I'm still waiting for his answer but judging from the non-response, I would surmise that it's fixed.

In short - the User _mistakenly_ think that he has turned ON the tones and vibrations but in reality - he did not. He changed it on the Web, but those changes are either not propagated to the watch or it's completely different settings.

Sorry for the long answer

• Turns out - it was a garmin issue. The user said Garmin pushed out a new update and then it works.