VA3 + F5 FW bug! ActivityInfo.currentLocation drifts away 10s of km per day

Hello, I am debugging my Weathergraph watchface on VA3, and I found that the location provided by Activity.getActivityInfo().currentLocation drifts away over time by 10s of kilometers per day on Vivoactive 3.

The drift starts from a real location of last activity, but then a fixed offset over time is added, so that after a day without GPS lock watch returns a location that might be 50 km away - and I get reports that app is showing weather for a wrong location.

Locking GPS returns the location back to my real location, but then it starts to drift again in a seemingly random direction and speed again.

I logged locations returned by ActivityInfo and visualized it on the map, please check the attachment.

This seems like a serious bug in a GPS firmware.

SW versions:
Vivoactive 3 silver
SW 5.50 (latest available)
GPS version 2.30
TSC 2.10
Sensor 6.00
WHR 20.03.31
CIQ 3.0.3 community.garmin.com/.../1428858.png
Parents
  • Actually, mapping PN's to devices is not hard to do.

In the SDK directory, in the bin folder, is devices.xml
    Search for a part number, and you'll see what it is, even ROW or APAC

BTW, I don't think going 30km is that rare, even in an hr. Lots of people do that every day between home and work or if they drive for a living, and the va3 has some kind of "auto activity" where it was start GPS and start recording. You'll likely see more than 24 updates/day for people.

Maybe just stick with 1/hr even if the location changes? They can alway just start a GPS activity so the WF will see a new location if they need it sooner.
  • Actually, mapping PN's to devices is not hard to do.

In the SDK directory, in the bin folder, is devices.xml
    Search for a part number, and you'll see what it is, even ROW or APAC

BTW, I don't think going 30km is that rare, even in an hr. Lots of people do that every day between home and work or if they drive for a living, and the va3 has some kind of "auto activity" where it was start GPS and start recording. You'll likely see more than 24 updates/day for people.

Maybe just stick with 1/hr even if the location changes? They can alway just start a GPS activity so the WF will see a new location if they need it sooner.
Children
No Data