App occasionally gets ERROR: System Error DETAILS: failed inside handle_json_callback

I only see this on the watch (Vivoactive HR) and never on the simulator. A user has also reported the same.
My device is at SW Version 3.90 (latest update I get from the latest Android Connect IQ app).
I have built a debug version of my app with the latest release SDK 2.3.1 and it still shows this error (there was some indication in another thread that something similar was fixed at this version).
Unfortunately I have no way to capture the web data that is loaded when the error occurs (at least no way I know of), and it happens only every hour or so (which makes for a pretty lousy watch app).

I will send in email the web url needed in the settings for my app currently in the store that will let you see the error, but it is a private web address.

ERROR: System Error
DETAILS: failed inside handle_json_callback
STORE_ID: 00000000000000000000000000000000
CALLSTACK:

<there is no callstack - that is the extent of the CIQ_LOG.TXT>
  • I sent via email a new reproducer app & json for this that shows the error after a few minutes, every time for me on VAHR firmware 4.0. Let me know if you received it & have any issues reproducing.
  • Hey, I've come back around to this one and I'm still not reproducing it. I'm using the latest GCMA, the public store version of CGM Loop and the url you provided. I tried on both version 3.30 and 4.00 on vivoactive HR. Let me know if I'm missing something here.

Thanks,
    -Coleman

Coleman, is the System Error issue fixed in 4.30? I have been using it for about a day and haven't been able to repro on it so far, went back to 4.00 and proved to myself that i could still repro, back on 4.30 and still good/no repro yet.
  • Horsetooth,

There is nothing explicit about this being fixed, though we continue to have trouble reproducing it. Please continue to keep us up to date on this though. I think it's likely that something on the lower lever that was causing your issue was fixed, but we haven't been able to establish the connection since we couldn't reproduce it. Again, please let us know if anything comes up or if this firmware proves to be stable.

Thanks,
    -Coleman
  • Horsetooth,
    Again, please let us know if anything comes up or if this firmware proves to be stable.

Thanks,
    -Coleman

I had a reliable way to reproduce it that no longer shows it, and also I've been using it as my daily watch with the CGM loop app for a week now with no issues! (previously it was happening at least once a day, if not once an hour).

thanks & happy new year!
  • HI,

i use this old thread to tell you i'm experiencing the same trouble, in the simu.

Launched 3 makeWebRequest in a BG of a WF, it worked fine until i get this message(console) :

Error: Unexpected Type Error
    Details: failed inside handle_json_callback
    Stack:

I checked the HTTP traffic and all is ok there is the data i'm expected.

But no way to get them in the dedicated onReceive method for each makeWebRequest.

Sometimes the 3rd onReceive was ok during this bug period.

I reboot my Pc and that was the same.

After a while it seems that it's now ok.  until ...?

Acted like makeWebRequest didn't fnd it's own method and crash !

using

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
    Version: Photon Release (4.8.0)
    Build id: 20180619-1200
    Java version: 13.0.1

CIQ 3.1.6

• How are you doing the makeWebRequest calls?  Are you doing 3 at the same time, or make 1, and in the callback from that, make the second?

Did what you're doing work in the past, and now stop?  For Settings>Connection Type in the sim, what are you showing for BLE and Wifi?

• Hi Jim,

sorry for answering late, we had big flood here yesterday (south of France)... so much rain i never saw that ...

I'm doing a first makeWebrequest, and call 2nd from 1st onReceive, 3rd from 2nd onReceive.

(I am testing too that if 2nd makeRequest has not to be call (E.g. no GPS data for weather, E.g. stock markets are closed ...) i call directly the 3rd but it's ok for that)

Yes, indeed, i did not touch anything and suddenly i had no data back in onREcevie (and HTTP traffic showed my data) and the error msg in the console.

in the settings, BLE -> connected and wifi not accessible.

I let the simu works all night long, without any error. And i'm unable to reproduce the error, that's the problem.

(I plan to call up to eight makeWebRequest and i am now a little bit afraid.

If i'll have a memory pb i'll probably do it in 2 or 3 times...)

)

• Hi Jim,

I may have found what's going on :

Each time i open (Ctrl +O / FIle-> Edit Persistent Storage -> AppBase Data) while my BG is running, i get this Json handle error.

Like Json callback try to access persistent Storage that could have been flag on read only by the simu...

• If you've not done so, do a bug report on this.  It sounds like there might be a conflict of some sort with "edit persistent storage" and normal access to Application.Storage in the app.  Make excursive file access to the files used or something. 

• thanks for answering.

Never done so, but i will try to make a bug report.