In case it is useful to anybody else: searchable device database for SDK 3.18

Hi,

I was getting fed up with guessing at stuff all the time, so I put together something to interrogate devices.xml and output it to an Excel sheet.

I've attached it here in case anybody else finds it useful.

It does the following:

1. Lists family names for resources directories etc.

2. Provides a table of the following attributes:

name
id
family
grouping
icon w, h
resolution w, h
number of colors in palette
list of ciq versions
watchface memory limit
watch-app memory limit
widget memory limit
datafield memory limit
background memory limit
glance memory limit
audio-content-provider-app memory limit

G

7455.Devices_3.18_PlusCompatibility.xlsx.zip 

7455.deviceNamesWithMonkey.zip

ETA: ADDED THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:

1. "MANIFEST ENTRY" column allows you to select devices based on search and copy + paste into manifest.xml directly

2. Behaviour mapping lists behaviours ("ON_ENTER", "ON_SELECT" etc.) and the mode of accessing each (button, swipe)

3. List of data field layouts

ETA: ADDED THE FOLLOWING ITEMS

4. BPP of display

5. istouch 

6. wifi_exclusions

ETA: COMBINED WITH DATA FROM COMPATIBILITY PAGE

ETA: Added in "buildDevices.zip" that has a string file with the device name for each device.

ETA : Updated device names zip to include monkey.jungle

• Much of this varies by experience.  When you get a handle on devices and similar devices, things become clear.  There's a ton of things, like on which devices do Number fonts have white space padding, that it's easier to just have a simple app that shows you what's up.Things like widget timeouts aren't defined anywhere.  Not only what the timeout is, but if there even is one.  Things you'll ever find in the sim, but is based on experience.

• Using the va4 and fenix 6 as examples, they "look" to be the same when it comes to many things in the speard sheet if you're just doing a DF, WF, etc, but, when it comes to devices, something that makes them incompatible is fonts. if you have a WF that uses native fonts on the va4, and just add the f6, it might not look that great. 

• Ok Jim, here are two of my recent use cases where your old-man-of-the-sea approach simply doesn’t cut it:

1. “Find all devices that actually support power in datafields in order to build a power dial”

2. “Find all devices that actually support running dynamics in order to build a running dynamics specific dial”

In both cases, I tried (because there was nothing else) using the documentation available. In both cases reasonable intuition failed. In both cases there were single product exceptions that (still) surprise.

But the thing is...

In both cases if I had had, say, a simple table with a column of data showing capabilities per device - or the JSON field “advancedFeatures” from the EXISTING BUT HIDDEN JSON feed for compatible devices - it is a thirty second task to search for and list accurately, without exception, ALL OF THEM.

Believe me, this has nothing to do with the niceties of per device design peccadilloes. It is simply that I want to be able to build for specific features so I need to know what devices I can build on.

• if you have a WF that uses native fonts on the va4, and just add the f6, it might not look that great. 

Aesthetic decisions are very much in the eye of the beholder, Jim, but they are also secondary to whether or not you can build something that actually works in the first place.

If you want me to state outright in bold text that my spreadsheet does nothing for the inherent beauty of your creations, then absolutely, I state here and now in bold text that my spreadsheet does nothing for the inherent beauty of anybody's creations.

But that is really not the point!

The point is, was and remains; if I or anybody else wants to know the basic functionality exceptions that they need to allow for, such as:

1. The fact that only two devices have 8 colours in their palette (and which two devices)

2. The fact that only one device is monochrome (and which device that is)

3. The fact that power is available on Forerunner series as far back as CIQ1 but not on FR6?? or anything below

4. The fact that power is available on every Edge device except for one and which device that is...

5. Which is the only CIQ3 device that doesn't support Cryptography?

6. Which is the only CIQ2 device that does support Cryptography? (Although, I admit that's a bit futile as the SDK won't let you use it AFAIK.)

7. Do all CIQ2 devices support background processing?

ALL of those facts are things that should be a few seconds work to find out and would be if Garmin made their existing, essential and well maintained data more searchable and available.

The spreadsheet is an attempt to fill that needless, pointless and futile hole in Garmin documentation.

• Beauty is only part of it.  I'd call it usability!

For a number of the things you mention, they can be pretty obvious by just a simple run in the sim, and there's some, where coding an app correctly, simply don't really matter. ("has" is your friend!) Other's a simple check in the API guide until you get more familiar with things.

take for example onPartialUpdate.  Not only is it easy to check, but can also change based on exceeding the power budget, so in coding a WF, you want to handle both cases.  Meaning it can run on any device.

Same with backgrounding.  If the device supports it, use it, if not maybe look at doing something else, like running things in the foreground in the case of a widget.  It's "since 2.3.0" so easy to see in the API doc.

Glance support is similar - if the device has it (and it's enabled), you'll have glances.  If not, the widget still runs fine

(for these 3 examples, I have apps that use those features that run on CIQ1 devices, but don't use those features)

for #3, that to me sounds like a bug, and possibly based on the specific FW.

• With the deepest respect, Jim, you are missing the point.

You are talking about "avoiding a crash" and I am talking about "building something for a specific purpose".

To wit...

For a number of the things you mention, they can be pretty obvious by just a simple run in the sim, and there's some, where coding an app correctly, simply don't really matter. ("has" is your friend!) Other's a simple check in the API guide until you get more familiar with things.

1. For "Power Dial", I have 34 separate devices checked in the manifest. However, there are 60 out of 72 potential targets (because I am excluding CIQ1 for Power Dial). I only now know that there are 34 compatible devices because I was able to search using the capabilities. Otherwise, I would need to explicitly and manually run a test on all 72.

And no. this doesn't help...

where coding an app correctly, simply don't really matter. ("has" is your friend!)

Because...

2. It is coded correctly using "has" so ABSOLUTELY NO ERRORS WILL BE SEEN OR TRIGGERED BY RUNNING ON A DEVICE THAT DOESN'T SUPPORT power in the field... My field will run perfectly correctly, it will just show zero... 

And most importantly, the reason any of this matters...

3. If I release "Power Dial" for devices that have power through some Garmin back door but do not have power in the DataField (such as the FR245 support email I got) then I will look bad for breaking something that they think is working when in reality I should simply never have included that release target.

Tl;dr;

All of your posts seem to be about workarounds, damage limitation and "a feel for the product range". Which is all well and good, but is not only irrelevant but also counter-productive when I am trying to build a working product for all the devices that support what I am building.

In order to build for a feature, I need to know which products have that feature.

Using "has" is damage limitation AFTER THE FACT for when something has either gone wrong or the value is not initialised. 

• for #3, that to me sounds like a bug, and possibly based on the specific FW.

I'm assuming that you are talking about this:

3. The fact that power is available on Forerunner series as far back as CIQ1 but not on FR6?? or anything below

If so, please do your own checks here: https://developer.garmin.com/connect-iq/compatible-devices/

But I can confirm that the JSON that populates that does not include "hasPowerSupport" for FR645 or quite a few others.

In fact, by using the "filter" on my Excel spreadsheet, I can tell you precisely that the list with "hasPowerSupport" is:

D2Tm Bravo
    D2Tm Bravo Titanium
    D2Tm Charlie
    D2Tm Delta
    D2Tm Delta PX
    D2Tm Delta S
    DescentTm Mk1
    Edge® 1000 / Explore
    Edge® 1030
    Edge® 1030, Bontrager
    Edge® 130
    Edge® 520
    Edge® 520 Plus
    Edge® 530
    Edge® 820 / Explore
    Edge® 830
    epixTm
    fēnix® 3 / tactix® Bravo / quatix® 3
    fēnix® 3 HR
    fēnix® 5 / quatix® 5
    fēnix® 5 Plus
    fēnix® 5S
    fēnix® 5S Plus
    fēnix® 5X / tactix® Charlie
    fēnix® 5X Plus
    fēnix® 6
    fēnix® 6 Pro / 6 Sapphire / quatix® 6
    fēnix® 6S
    fēnix® 6S Pro / 6S Sapphire
    fēnix® 6X Pro / 6X Sapphire / 6X Pro Solar / tactix® Delta Sapphire / quatix® 6X
    fēnix® Chronos
    Forerunner® 735xt
    Forerunner® 920XT
    Forerunner® 935
    Forerunner® 945
    MARQTm Adventurer
    MARQTm Athlete
    MARQTm Aviator
    MARQTm Captain
    MARQTm Commander
    MARQTm Driver
    MARQTm Expedition

Enjoy looking all of those up on the "compatibility" page.

• I see all the f6 devices on that list. Are you saying it's not on the real device or not in the sim?  Again, that sounds like a bug or something missing in the doc.  It wouldn't make sense for the f6 devices not to have it.

The 645 doesn't surprise me.  It's not available on other lower end devices, like the vivoactives/venus.  That's where just understanding what things may differ between va/fr/fenix devices in general helps.

Oh..  ok, "fr6" confused me and you didn't mean f6, as there is the fr620, fr630, fr645.

• If you support 34 devices, you really want to run each one in the sim.  I test every target in the sim for each of my apps.  You avoid a bunch of surprises.  You can eliminate a few if you understand they are the same as another one (the "legacy" devices and the va4/va4s for example)

• Quite. I didn't consider, mention or mean Fenix.

The 645 doesn't surprise me. 

You said yourself you built a project to read all of this information back in 2005... that's fifteen years of familiarity. If it surprised you, I'd be disappointed.

However...

While your product knowledge is doubtless encyclopaedic, there is absolutely no reason why it should have to surprise anyone if there was a decent search. (Which, outside of my Excel, there is not.)