GoPro Record/start/stop remote

GoPro camera start stop record function. Someone developed an APP that had it open their bluetooth garage door...Couldnt the same be done with Connect IQ for GoPro. I dont know if youd have to connect to the Android/IOS app?
Bascialyl something like the virb has already built into the Fenix watches but for GoPro.
  • Hi recently got both a gopro and a garmin edge 520 and i would also love this feature to start recording over the garmin!
  • It's actually quite simple to make a widget that makes json request over BLE to the phone that is connected to gopro over wifi. The problem is that my gopro 4 session goes into sleep mode after a few seconds and as it turns out wake on lan is the way to wake it up and that is sent over UDP and that is something thats not supported by monkey c today.

Anyone having any ideas how to wake the gopro?

I have the same issue (obviously)... I successfully made a widget on the VAHR that controls a gopro session, but without writing a companion app for a WoL request there is no way to keep the gopro alive. So, the current needed workarounds are to manual connect to the gopro wifi on the phone and select photo or video mode on the gopro. Once i do this the gopro will stay on for quite a while and the watch can control it.

Even with these limitations, it's still nice to change photo/video modes and start and stop captures on the watch.

If someone found a workaround I too would be interested in hearing about it!
  • I have the same issue (obviously)... I successfully made a widget on the VAHR that controls a gopro session, but without writing a companion app for a WoL request there is no way to keep the gopro alive. So, the current needed workarounds are to manual connect to the gopro wifi on the phone and select photo or video mode on the gopro. Once i do this the gopro will stay on for quite a while and the watch can control it.

Even with these limitations, it's still nice to change photo/video modes and start and stop captures on the watch.

If someone found a workaround I too would be interested in hearing about it!

Danlorek, is your widget available on Connect IQ? For Fenix 3 (or just VAHR)? Despite WOL issue, sounds like a great start.

If not available on Fenix 3, happy to help with a port.
  • As a Garmin employee, I am obligated to point out this: http://virb.garmin.com/en-US. :cool:

In all seriousness, I know that some people either already own a GoPro or may prefer the GoPro, but I thought it might be worth mentioning the VIRB since it can already be controlled via our Fenix-based products (including Quatix and D2), not to mention several other Garmin devices (also here).

But the buttons for the Virb on the Edge 820 are so small, pretty useless when riding. Can somebody enlarge these? Would-be great.
  • Danlorek, is your widget available on Connect IQ? For Fenix 3 (or just VAHR)? Despite WOL issue, sounds like a great start.

If not available on Fenix 3, happy to help with a port.

Hey, sorry I missed this! I only targeted the Vivoactive HR so the I am not sure how it would work on the Fenix 3... I would definitely have to change the layout of the buttons and text.

I have not loaded the widget onto Connect IQ yet. Actually, I wasn't really planning on it unless I created the side app to enable the WoL as it is kind of a half-baked solution. Nevertheless, I put up a YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpPJMYus_m4 so you can check out the proof of concept.
  • Hey all, I finally got a Fenix 5 and updated the app to support this and a few more watches. You can find it by searching the store for GarmPro Remote. Here's a video I created of it in action, let me know what you think!
    https://youtu.be/KBb17-FJGHA
  • Can you make this compatable with the 935?
  • Hey all, I finally got a Fenix 5 and updated the app to support this and a few more watches. You can find it by searching the store for GarmPro Remote. Here's a video I created of it in action, let me know what you think!
    https://youtu.be/KBb17-FJGHA

I try this is I will let you know

It works, I use Fenix 5X, GoPro Hero 5 Black and Huawei P20 Pro, only Bug found:
    After having selected and used the Burst mode, when you return to use the Photo mode, continue to make multy Photo.
  • Now it is perfect great developer, if you add somehow the possibility to enter the Gopro menu, I will have to throw away my Smart Remote. Number one ;)