Fenix 5s stuck on software 15.40 and cannot see any further updates in Garmin express, Garmin Connect or direct by WiFi. Altimeter crazy during activities.

I'm an EU user having an issue with erratic altimeter during walking/outdoor activities. Watch was purchased in APAC region 2018. In my investigation to try and resolve erratic altimatery during walking, it seems to me that the phone is stuck on a very old software version. Here is what I have done to try and resolve the altimeter issue and in going so finding a possible issue with software version. 

1. Calibrate altimeter based on DEM. Issue stilll happening. 

2. Turn Fenix 5S off and back on. Issue still happening. 

3. CHeck the altimeter/barometer aperture. Find blockage. Remove gently. Issue still happening

4. Turn phone off and back on (maybe needs reboot). Issue still happening. 

5. Change the alti calibration from continuous during activity to at start. No change. Issue still happening.

6. Check current software version online vs what is on the phone. Apparently now at version 22.40 but watch is sitting on version 15.40. Connect to Garmin Express and sync. No software updates Showing up, only map updates.

7. Check manually in watch (Systm/Softwarer update). Set to "auto". No software updates showing as available. Thinking maybe its because I have not connected watch to WiFi directly since I moved house. Connect it to WiFi. No change. Issue still happening. 

8. Check in Garmin Connect. Says software up to date. 

9. Connect to Garmin Express again, thinking that maybe since I did not update the maps for APAC for a long time (not needed thanks to not much travel in COVID times) this is causing the unit to not see a new version of software. Maybe map versions and software versions linked. Update APAC maps. After update, re-sync. Still software 15.40 and apparently that is "up to date". 

So now Im stuck and cannot think of what else to do. I really want to update the software to current version because it was reported that 15.40 has possible altimeter issue, but I cannot seem to force it to see any newer versions. If I can get a newer software on there I can see if that was causing altimeter issue. I know APAC region often has slower updates but even they are up to 20.10. So I cannot figure out why my watch cannot see it has a software update via WiFi direct. Garmin Express, or Garmin Connect. 

Anyone got any ideas that might help?

• 15.40 is the latest official version for the Fenix 5 plus series!

As we had storm in Europe the last days it is very likely that the barometer changed quickly and the watch struggled to differentiate if it was a change due to ambident pressure change or due to movement.

BTW This is the German forum!

• Thanks RunR,

Firstly, I was automatically taken to the German forum. Unsure why but that's where Garmin seemed to want me to go. 

Second, the erratic behaviour Im talking about has been going on for over a week i.e. not a one off. I have significantly hilly terrain and ascend and descend stairs and hills in the order or 90m each hil. My house is about 80m above sea level and I would expect on my usual route to have ascended and seconded about 360m in up and down (and return to similar elevation). But one thing I notice is that often while ascending the elevation is counting down. when descending elevation is counting up, and numerous times while ascending the elevation has jumps from +60m or +50m  to -180 or -200m. Not what I would expect would come from a storm even with fairly sudden drop in pressure. After some activities Ive ended with over 600m climb and 800m descent. Even now I find the watch telling me I am 4m above sea level and yet my house is about 80m. If I calibrate it jumps to something more correct i.e. about 69m (can accept some difference due to what it is using as vertical datum of course) but then by time I return home I might be at -180m. 

Last, I do see conflicting information about the software. Here it says beta is up to 24.00 (https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11661#Instruct). Here is says 22.40 (https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11432). And here is says 20.10 for APAC region (https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11432). So where exactly am I supposed to find the actual latest? If you say latest is 15.40 then ok, I understand why the watch is not "seeing" any further updates but it would be nice to know exactly where Im supposed to find this info. And of course, if Im in the wrong forum as an EU user, then would be nice if Garmin could send me to the right one!!