This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why is syncing so unreliable?

I typically have four or so activities per day that are recorded by my Tactix 7 Pro Ballistics Edition, and they show up in both Connect iOS and Connect Web. However, Explore iOS is missing many of them.

For example, Explore iOS shows one activity on 5/22 (there were five on that day), nothing on 5/23 through 5/27 (there were several activities on each of these days), one on 5/28 (there were two on that day), and nothing after 5/28.

I have Explorer configured to sync everything, and I have tried clearing the sync history to force a full sync. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

• I wanted to update this thread with some new information.

I installed the v13.22 software on my watch a couple of days ago and just opened Explore about 15 minutes ago. I noticed that the sync took quite a while, but when it was done, all the activities that I mentioned in my original post as not showing up in the Library are now there.

Garmin Explore hasn't changed, only the system software on the watch has.

• Just FYI, I opened a ticket today with sync issues on iOS. I have over 400 tracks on Explore web, but only track from 2019 seem to sync properly. We spent two hours trying different tests, like renaming tracks, creating new collections, etc, etc. There is definitely an issue with syncing (tracks in my case) to iOS Explore. Even the tech online was completely confused on this matter. So I have provided multiple screenshots, logs, and other such requested info. I just noticed it today, while preparing for a trip in two weeks.

There is no resolution yet, but this is a definitely a problem, especially with large numbers of tracks, and multiple devices.

• I have only found 2 problems in syncing over the last year, and both have workarounds.  I too like keeping all my past info, but I don't want to keep all on my Fenix 7XSS or InReach Mini 2.  I like sharing some nav info across those two.  Given all this, I found a system that works great for me, and quickly moved from Sync All to Sync Selection.  I have a "Saved" collection and a "Saved Activities" collection that never get synced.  I move old activities and move some past courses, waypoints, etc to their appropriate saved collections soon after I'm done with them.

So the only 2 problems I've had is, sometimes the iOS Explore app "forgets" the watch or the InReach and I must re-pair.  I make sure things are paired before I start, else I have had trouble pairing in progress and syncing later.  If I have many activities on the Fenix that were synced but some that were not synced, on re-pairing sometimes not everything is synced.  If I delete the synced ones, I find the others do sync correctly.  Doing all this regularly, I have not had a single sync issue in the last year.

The other advantage of using Sync Selection, is I keep "Hiking" and "Backpacking" collections and when I put Courses and Waypoints into those, they get synced to all my devices automatically.  Very useful.