This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Quick Text unavailable on iPhone

I just purchased an inReach Mini 2 and am watching the Garmin webinar titled, "Get to Know inReach Mini 2."  In the section of the video that references how to send Quick Text from the Explore app, a Quick Text icon (lightening bolt) appears in the text window.  On my iPhone, this icon does not appear and I'm at a loss as to how I access the Quick Texts (see attached photo).  My inReach shows connected to my iPhone via bluetooth.  I have synced both my iPhone and inReach to Garmin Explore.

Phone model:  iPhone 11

iOS version: 16.4.1

Garmin Explore app version:  3.7.1 (826753)

Hopefully this is just a cockpit error on my behalf.  Any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to B_Badenov

I think you are misinterpreting the text. Nowhere does it say that the Messenger app is needed for the features you mention. The manual explains what is needed for use of the Messenger app. 

"Before you can use certain inReach® features of the Garmin MessengerTm app, including SOS, tracking, and inReach Weather, you must have an active satellite subscription and a connected inReach device. Always test the app before you use it outdoors.

With an inReach subscription and a connected inReach device, you can use the Garmin Messenger app for tracking, SOS, inReach Weather, and managing your service plan."

• If you notice the webinar and the video link I sent you, Garmin is using a Mini 2, but NOT using the Messenger app. The Messenger app is more recent. Your Mini 2 should have full inReach capability without the Messenger app.  

Do you really need the Messenger app?  Edvard and myself don't use it (I can't because I have 66i).

• It appears so.  Since I didn't see where both were not required, I understood it to mean they were both required, especially  since they are both discussed consecutively in the manual and I don't see where it's mentioned to choose one or the other (I may have missed that somewhere).  It is also strange that the Explore app will default and link to the Messenger app when both are installed.

With that said, It's good to know that I don't need the Messenger app if I have the Explore app installed.  The Explore app is much more capable.  I'm at a loss as to why Garmin even includes the Messenger app at all in its discussions.

Edvard, I really appreciate your guidance.  I will go ahead and eliminate my confusion by uninstalling the Messenger app.

Have a great day

Best regards.

• I didn't realize I didn't need both (see response to Edvard).

Thanks for taking the time to set me straight

• No problem. I don't have the Messenger app, so I didn't recognize it. It looks like a modified Message section of the Explore app. The Messenger app was released with the Messenger device, both of which came after the release of the Mini 2. Apparently, Garmin anticipated the Messenger app when they released the Mini 2 and made it compatible. Older devices are not compatible with the Messenger app, but have full inReach capability.

So you just need to decide if you want to use that app or not.

• Speak of the devil...Garmin just sent out a software update today for the 66i which gives it Messenger app compatibility. I downloaded the app, and experienced the same problem you had. If you want to send Quick Texts via the Explore app, you can't, because it links to the Messenger app. This is noted in a Garmin support document at https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=icTGocuFYw88BFNWburNv8 :

• Quick Text messages are not available to send through the Garmin Messenger app, they can only be sent directly from the inReach device. For steps on sending Quick Text messages, refer to your owner's manual.

So you have to decide which you prefer, sending Quick Texts from the device and use Messenger app, or send Quick Texts from Explore app (or device) and don't use Messenger app.

• I'm torn.  I know I shouldn't be, but I'm really glad you experienced the same issue I had Slight smile.  You know the old saying, misery likes company.  If I were a Garmin software engineer, I would look to remove messaging capability altogether from the Explore app and make it a stand-along navigation app; I would add Quick-Text Messages to the Messenger app, and; I would de-link the two programs.  Hopefully they're thinking along those lines.

Thanks again for helping out.  I appreciate all the time and energy everyone gave me.  I feel a little bit smarter now.

• HA! Look up, "schadenfruede"...then you'll really be a little bit smarter!

Yes, I would guess that Garmin is pursuing what you describe.

I'm typically concerned with battery life in the backcountry, so I don't want to connect my device to my phone which only drains both batteries faster, than if they weren't connected. I also keep texting to a minimum to conserve the battery (and I'm on the Safety Plan).

If I foresee having to do a lot of texting, I would connect both devices just for that rare occurrence.

The map within the Explore app works without connecting both devices, it uses the phone's GPS. You just don't receive Garmin navigation info on the app.

• Well now I know.  "Schadenfruede" is not a sausage. Stuck out tongue winking eye

• Hello The photo you posted looks more like the Garmin Messenger App, are you certain that you are using the Explore Mobile app and not the Messenger App?