This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Disable sync. of activities?

I don't use activities in Explore for anything. I am only interested in waypoints. So I want to disable the automatic sync. of activities, which takes up a lot of time every time I open Explore.

(I know I can skip that step by pressing the red "Skip" text at the bottom, but when I do that, I sometimes experience that waypoint sync. isn't complete afterwards.)

• What is the reason to add all the activities, which may includes deviations from the path for any number of reasons, to sync back to Garmin Explore with silly names that don't even relate to the title I assigned to the route I followed? Or to add random activities I did with GPS on, not even opening the Explore app? OR to add my runs around the nearest square/park?

Garmin Explore is the repository for routes and places to show on map. I someone wants to import any random activity, just export it from Garmin Connect (where all the activities are) and import into Explore. Sometimes may even be useful. 

But to find synced back on the watch a ton of random walks and runs along with the routes for hikes on the Alps, that to me it's plain silly. Again, to "me": it doesn't have to be the same for anyone.

• Activities synchronization is very slow with Explore if compared to Garmin Connect.  
    for example 12 hours Ultrarunning will create more than 35 000 points and this will take more than 30minutes to sync with Explore. The watch is F6xProSolar. One reason it takes so long is that it is not syncing Fit-file (compressed and small) but the watch will unpack it and syncs the data as GPX. Gpx file is way bigger than fit. 

• It's old, but any update on that? I don't want to sync back (download to a phone) all my activities, I just want to send to watch few waypoints from time to time.. I have my primary collection - fenix6pro, and some other collections related to my planned trips. I would like to sync only a selected one trip/temp collection without primary fenix6pro which will download all past activities to a phone without any reason and takes ages and often fails because it's too many activities... Any solution?

• Yes you can do this.

Make sure only what you want is in a separate collection.

Use the Garmin Explore App (I use Garmin Explore for iOS) to set up what is to sync to the F6 and what does not.

Go to devices, select device.

Go to Sync Settings where you can turn on or off each collection to sync or not sync.

This area will also tell if a collection is too big to sync in which case break the collection into parts.  So I have some where collection A is a bunch of Locations and collection B is a bunch of routes relating to a particular trip.

• No really sure, when I go to devices -> sync settings I cannot turn off primary collection to sync (temp is the one I want to sync), it says:

"New data created on your fénix® 6 - Pro and Sapphire Editions will be automatically added to the selected collection"

For me it means that all activities saved on Fenix will always first will be downloaded to a phone and later a 'temp' collection will be sent to watch. I want to avoid sync of primary collection since it says its too big, but what I can do with this - clear activities no watch?

• Pretty sure this behavior is by design. This is the point of the primary collection. However, each sync SHOULD be incremental. That is, it should only upload activities which have not previously been sync-d. But even if you only have your latest activity, if it is a long hike, the sync will take a long time.

• You are right! I made a test and I cleared my primary collection on a phone first (empty now), and then make a sync (with new items in temp). Now it was way faster and only one way (to watch) because it remembered previously downloaded activities and uploads only a temp collection. Looks like a solution if one wants to only make one way sync, clear a primary collection first. Still not perfect (one should decide what to sent and what to download) but may speed up a process..

• I'm also looking for a way to avoid activities going from the watch to Garmin Explorer app.

Should be an user's choice.

Not mention it's a duplicate once all is going to Garmin Connect...

Regards,

• Your use of this tool set can be improved.  I’ll write a more useful reply when my laptop comes back from the workshop.  I’ll go crazy trying to do it on the phone.