This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to import courses into Garmin Connect

How do I import an existing course into Garmin connect?

I've read several threads on this and thought I've found a path using https://connect.garmin.com/api/upload/widget/manualUpload.faces but it gave an error. The app within Garmin connect doesn't seem to have any import option.

I have forerunner 920xt
  • A bit more context -- I've created my own course and sync'd to my device so think I'm good with that. The question is how to get a course someone else has created into connect vs. recreating it myself.
  • That link which is also the import link on the activities listing page will only import activities from other software e.g. RunKeeper. First you have to save the activity from the other software as a .gpx file.

I'm also trying to figure out how to import a course I created using MapMyRide. I guess I should have just created in Garmin Connect!
  • Gives same error

That link which is also the import link on the activities listing page will only import activities from other software e.g. RunKeeper. First you have to save the activity from the other software as a .gpx file.

Selected a .gpx file and got the same error message....perhaps because it's a route and not an activity (i.e. doesn't have activity data). If that's the case, then it means you have to ride the route before being able to upload it.
  • It's ridiculus!!!

Uploading a GPX route is a base feature: every app in the market do this.
    I don't want upload someone else 's activity and extract the route from it. I just want a button "upload from gpx/kml" in the courses page.

I hope that they fix this problem as soon as possible.
  • There is a manual import button in Connect, but note that any .gpx files you import need to contain timestamps, see here https://connect.garmin.com/en-US/help/how-to/

with the relevant part

To manually import data, follow these steps:
    • Go to the Menu
    • Select Activities
    • Select the Import button
    • Choose the file you’d like to import from your computer. We support .TCX, .FIT and .GPX files. GPX files must include time information.
  • There is a manual import button in Connect, but note that any .gpx files you import need to contain timestamps, see here https://connect.garmin.com/en-US/help/how-to/

with the relevant part

• Go to the Menu
    • Select Activities
    • Choose the file you’d like to import from your computer. We support .TCX, .FIT and .GPX files. GPX files must include time information.

I'm trying to find out how to do this too. I've seen that you can import files in that way, but they then get created as activities. This means that to import a course from a file you have to:

1) Convert the .gpx course to a .gpx track - basically import a workout file
    2) Import the file as an activity
    3) Open the activity
    4) Create a course from the activity and name it
    5) Delete the imported activity
    6) Delete the imported activity from all auto-sync services you have set up too (Strava etc.)

What I'm looking for is a workflow more like:

1) Upload a course file (or activity file if we can specify to treat it as a course)
    2) View the course
    3) Edit the name if you so wish
    4) Go run or ride my bike

If this isn't possible how do I submit it as a feature request please? :)
  • Import GPX

All,

i have the garmin Edge 1000
    Garmin connect is shown to me with what they call the modern interface
    Nowhere on the Activities tab, the Courses tab or the Workout tab is a button that says import
    (it looks like the Help page refers to the Old interface for Garmin Connect)

I have several courses made with Strava in the past i would like to import to the courses tab in Garmin Connect.
    (and i still like to make them in Strava as the map in the Garmin Connect is way too small to properly work with, unable to use it full screen)

Now i know i can upload a GPX file via the Mac finder straight into the courses folder on my device, but these courses never sync back yo my Garmin Connect.

So how to proceed to get my saved GPX courses into my Garmin Connect dashboard ??????

Luupski
  • Did you read what is posted above?

• Go to the Menu
    •Select Activities

Have you done what I've now highlighted in bold? Look across on the right hand side, you'll see +Manual Activity followed by Import, in the page you actually link to it's written in German Handmatig uploaden

The Help Document I referenced refers to Connect Modern, not the 'old interface' as you put it which was Connect Classic.
  • The problem is that is an activity, and we want to import a course. Having an activity loaded and then saving as a course and then deleting the activity seems a little bit nonsesne, especially if you have account linked to other sites that will then report the activity. Can't you simply add a import file to the course creation tool ?