This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Import track file (GPX, TCX...) to Garmin Connect

Hello.

I know that there are earlier posts about this but I dont get it...

How to import/upload a track file (GPX, TCX...) to Garmin Connect? Is it posible? Would it be send to the Device on a synchronization?

I know how to upload a track to the GPS, thats not what Im asking.
I have read about "manual upload" I cannot locate it anywhere in Garmin Connect.

Thank you.
  • Read this http://connect.garmin.com/en-US/help/how-to/ which explains how to import files amongst many other things about Connect
  • Read this http://connect.garmin.com/en-US/help/how-to/ which explains how to import files amongst many other things about Connect

I looked and it does not mention how to import files to Garmin Connect. I don't want to upload an activity. I want to upload a course I created using RideWithGPS. I can't find how to upload that anywhere, either.
  • Thank you SUSSAMB, but your answer does not help at all, I can`t find what I´m looking for in that "general help".

Specialy if TRAVIS (thx for your answer) is right. In witch case I must say that Garming Connect should allow to upload tracks from files and send them to the device once you synchronize it.
  • If you have a tcx/gpx/fit course and you want to put it onto an Edge device (and possibly some USB Forerunner devices), all you need to do is copy the file into the NewFiles folder on the device storage.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 9 years ago
    I have the same problem currently PABLOLEVG . Thanks for the suggestion SUSSAMB, but I couldn't find the details for importing either. I have a course on Strava that I need to get on to Garmin Connect so I can send to my device (910XT). I can't find a way to import courses (as Travis has mentioned), so I've tried importing it as an activity to then change it to a course - but Garmin Connect is not accepting my files (tried both .tcx & .gpx) - keeps coming up with a red cross and 'undefined'. I even tried Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome and still no good. Strava doesn't provide an option to save courses as .fit. I can't copy the file into New Files folder on the device storage, because 910XT (forerunner) connects to the computer via an ANT+ usb, and this doesn't show up in my folders. If you find out how to do it PABLOLEVG let me know!!! And I'll do same, so frustrating!!!
  • I think I have it:

In Garmin Connect (Moderm Style)
    Select ACTIVITIES so it will fill-up the screen (not in the home page where each section is a square)
    > ACTIVITIES > Above the table, to the right, click "IMPORT"
    > ACTIVITIES > IMPORT > Now you can select a TCX, GPX or FIT file.
    > ACTIVITIES > Select the "activity" you just added.
    > ACTIVITIES > SELECTED ACCTIVITI > Above the map click "SAVE AS COURSE".
    > COURSES > it should be there. And now you can delete the activity if you want.

now I have to try if it synchronizes...
  • Looks like it does not sends the track to the GPS :(
  • I have the same problem currently PABLOLEVG . Thanks for the suggestion SUSSAMB, but I couldn't find the details for importing either. I have a course on Strava that I need to get on to Garmin Connect so I can send to my device (910XT). I can't find a way to import courses (as Travis has mentioned), so I've tried importing it as an activity to then change it to a course - but Garmin Connect is not accepting my files (tried both .tcx & .gpx) - keeps coming up with a red cross and 'undefined'. I even tried Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome and still no good. Strava doesn't provide an option to save courses as .fit. I can't copy the file into New Files folder on the device storage, because 910XT (forerunner) connects to the computer via an ANT+ usb, and this doesn't show up in my folders. If you find out how to do it PABLOLEVG let me know!!! And I'll do same, so frustrating!!!

You cannot AFAIK, import a course to Garmin Connect. You'll have to put that course on your device by the methods the site you created it on provides (usually you drop the exported course file in the /garmin/newfiles folder on your device) or you'll have to ride that course, upload the activity to Garmin Connect and create the course on GC from that ride activity. Or just use GC's course tool to create the course and send it to your device.

Info for importing is in the link provided under Activities > Do I need to download any software? Again realize that you can only import activities, not courses, from properly created .gpx .tcx or .fit files.
  • Import

I have the same wish, I must say that I not that impressed about the user experience of handling courses on the Fenix 3 or Garmin Connect.

I wish to be able to easily import courses and to edit or upload this to my device but the only option I found is to redraw the course in connect which can be hard when it is smail trails or use garmin basecamp, so now I have some courses on my Fenix 3 and then I'm not able to import this into Garmin Connect....... I would for the same reason not recommend this device if you want to easily handle courses.

I really hope for some improvement in the future, there are huge communities on the internet who share trails I would like to utilizes this on my garmin device and today that is really difficult.