TCX import is failing

I am attempting to import TCX files from Fitbit into Garmin and I am getting this error for every TCX file I try:

An error occurred with your upload. Please try again.

When I open Chrome's debugging tools, in the console I see this error after I click the "Import Data" button:

GET connect.garmin.com/.../4c37c9631b194ca78047829bc7194dd3 500 (Internal Server Error)

The TCX files are sourced directly from Fitbit so I have no reason to suspect they are not correct and I have done no modifications to them. I have tried both very small TCX files as well as larger ones. 

Can someone from internal Garmin support help with this?

• Hi, first you go to this page and enter your product name or serial number.  Then at the bottom of the next page you click one of the links - Chat, Call or Email. 

• I'm happy to do that but there is a mandatory field for product and serial number. I have neither, since I don't have a Garmin device and I just use Garmin Connect on the web. If you know a valid support email address, I will email them directly.

• They email me from [email protected] . You could try that. 

• Here is a copy of my email. I also attached a sample TCX file that worked previously, but no longer.

Hi there,
    Please can I add my voice to the other complaints that you have no doubt received about the TCX upload process not currently working, as mentioned by several people in the forums. To help you, I attach a TCX file that I successfully uploaded in February via the Garmin Connect upload page but which now gives an error message. This same error message happens for every TCX file we try to upload. These TCX files are syntactically correct, since they were accepted by the upload process previously. It looks like the upload problem started sometime in the last couple of months.
    Please let me know if you need any more information from me.
    Many thanks,
  • same issue with me. and yes sometimes it shows up sometime it doesn't after receiving the error msg.

• I hope you get a response from them. I think they may have stopped responding to me. I've had two 'Rate you interaction with Garmin Support' surveys sent to me which suggests they've closed the case.
    Please update this thread if you hear anything from them.

• For anyone with this problem, please raise a support ticket. I raised one and they told me that they have not received any other reports of this problem They also told me, incorrectly, that the import of FitBit tcx is not supported.

Many people have this problem with tcx files from all sources, not just FitBit. They also told me that they don't often read this forum. The only way to get them to fix the problem is to have several people open support tickets.

See also this thread, and several others in this forum.

• I have received a reply from product support asking me to upload an image of the error message, which I have done. We'll see if anything happens.

• Yeah, I've raised a support ticket as well and they gave me the run around saying if it imports fine even though there's an error message they won't fix it. I explained that the TCX file conforms to their XSD (I fixed one minor error in them) and explain how this is such a bad experience for people changing from Fitbit, which they should want a great experience and they said they would look into it. I am a software developer and I can't imagine this is a difficult issue.

I love Garmin and their products, their device customer service has always been great, but their software customer service is lacking. Every time I have tried to have them fix an issue with Connect it's a long conversation to get them to admit it's a problem, and then maybe 6-8 months to fix it. But patience is keep and acknowledging them that it's appreciated has seemed to help. More bees with honey!

• The support agent emailed to say that they have reproduced the error. A " Product Support Case" has been created which seems to mean that it is in the queue for the developers to investigate.