This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do I correct an erroneous "Resting Heart Rate"

I cycle with HR strap and power meter pedals.
My fitness age used to be 32 (Edge 1030) with a resting HR of 47 (which is correct). With the Edge 1040 Solar it incorrectly thinks my resting HR is 90, which results in a fitness age of 64? It seems to be using the minimum HR during activities logged with the Edge 1040, which is not "resting" HR. How can I correct the resting HR, thus correcting the fitness age?

• Yes, this exactly. It will just come up with your resting heart rate based on the data it has, which in many of our cases, is all riding. Which, of course, results in a vastly elevated "resting" average because, well, we're not resting lol.

It's be cool if it could grab data from my Apple Watch which does have resting heart rate.

• It's be cool if it could grab data from my Apple Watch which does have resting heart rate.

I am not sure if I want big tech organizations watch my entire day and night. It would be more than sufficient if they would just use the RHR that can be added in the field provided.

• I understand your POV on that, but many of us happily wear Apple Watches (or other similar devices) all day and we already have accurate RHR data that can be shared with our Garmin devices.

• Short update: I opened a support case at Garmin Germany and described the problem. The answer: The Edge 1040 does not measure the RHR. This is done with a Watch only that needs to be worn day and night. 

YES I KNOW THAT! They did not even comprehend that they cannot just use an arbitrary RHR from a source that does not make sense. I am really unhappy with the way Garmin treats their customers.

• It does not use those manually set values by the user, it uses the calculated resting heart rate values recorded by the edge activity. Those are way to high of course. And consequently the fitness age calculation is also way to high.

• I have the exact same issue since recently. Got the 1040. And somehow since last week the connect app brings up this resting heart rate calculation based on my cycling activity. My normal resting heart rate is below 50. VO2 Max 46-48. I am 49. But now the fitness age calculation is also way to high. Bummer. Can garmin fix this asap. I am not going to buy their Watch, I already use an Apple Watch. This is not something that can be manually set or corrected by the user. I have set my resting heart rate on the heart rate zone page but Connect does not use that value.

• Doesn’t garmin understand that their edge device will not work for this purpose? Why don’t they roll back this pointless functionality. It worked fine before but now renders fitness functions of my edge and connect basically useless. Really hope they realize this and fix it.

• Doesn’t garmin understand that their edge device will not work for this purpose?

No, they just don't. I opened a support case (Germany) and they plain denied this problem. They told me the Edge 1040 is not capable of identifying the RHR. We hoped that we solved your problem. That's it. I reached out to them two more times and they either are incapable of understanding the problem or do not want to understand it. I even shared screenshots of my Garmin connect. They still denied the problem. At least here in Germany people who answer do not have the slightest interest of even accepting that there is a problem. Although the device is otherwise great I regret having sold my 830 which worked rather well. But who knows where the problem really lies. So frustrating.

• Very frustrating. I just raised the issue via email with Garmin support in the Netherlands.

• It’s really annoying putting all this hard work into training regularly and seeing my RHR at 140 on the 1040. It’s like 52 on my Apple Watch. Such a stupid oversight. If they expect us to wear Garmin watches all day to fix this they’re insane.