This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do I correct an erroneous "Resting Heart Rate"

I cycle with HR strap and power meter pedals.
My fitness age used to be 32 (Edge 1030) with a resting HR of 47 (which is correct). With the Edge 1040 Solar it incorrectly thinks my resting HR is 90, which results in a fitness age of 64? It seems to be using the minimum HR during activities logged with the Edge 1040, which is not "resting" HR. How can I correct the resting HR, thus correcting the fitness age?

• I have found two different place where your resting heart rate can be changed.

The first is in Garmin Connect on my PC. In Garmin Connect PC go the upper right corner of the page and click the watch icon. Select>Device Settings. You will see a menu with two items; Device Settings & User Settings. Select>User Settings. Scroll down to Heart Rate Zones. There, you can enter your resting heart rate. If you have more than one column of heart rates with different resting rates change both of them to your desired resting heart rate.

The second place is on your Edge. This comes from the 1040 Owners Manual:

Setting Your Heart Rate Zones The device uses your user profile information from the initial setup to determine your heart rate zones. You can manually adjust the heart rate zones according to your fitness goals (Fitness Goals, page 48). For the most accurate calorie data during your activity, you should set your maximum heart rate, resting heart rate, and heart rate zones.

1 Select > My Stats > Training Zones > Heart Rate Zones.

2 Enter your maximum, lactate threshold, and resting heart rate values. You can use the auto detect feature to automatically detect your heart rate during an activity. The zone values update automatically, but you can also edit each value manually.

3 Select Based On:.

4 Select an option:

• Select BPM to view and edit the zones in beats per minute.

• Select % Max. to view and edit the zones as a percentage of your maximum heart rate.

• Select % HRR to view and edit the zones as a percentage of your heart rate reserve (maximum heart rate minus resting heart rate).

• Select %LTHR to view and edit the zones as a percentage of your lactate threshold heart rate.

I hope this helps.

• I'm not finding anything about "fitness age" in the manual.  Where do I find it on my Edge 1040?

• It was added to the 1040 in the 14.x builds

My Stats -> Fitness age

• My Resting Heart Rate is set to 45 under Heart Rate Zones but Garmin 1040 just ignores this for fitness age

• The first is in Garmin Connect on my PC. In Garmin Connect PC go the upper right corner of the page and click the watch icon. Select>Device Settings. You will see a menu with two items; Device Settings & User Settings. Select>User Settings. Scroll down to Heart Rate Zones. There, you can enter your resting heart rate. If you have more than one column of heart rates with different resting rates change both of them to your desired resting heart rate.

Does not work fot me. This option is not available. 

The second method, changing the RHR on the Edge 1040 is available but the value here is ignored.

So frustrating. I wish I had refrained from updating from 12.16. That was a stable and useful s/w.

• The option does not show up unless you have % of HRR selected.

• If I recall correctly, fitness age has nothing to do with your actual age, or actual resting heart rate. It is a calculated number based upon your actual performance input data that has been taken from your data sensors, i.e., heart rate monitor. 

When you receive your results and see your fitness age look for the "three dots" or "HELP" in the upper right corner of your screen. Tap there and you should get some sort of explanation about your results.

The manual does not cover this. Why, I do not know. As I understand it your fitness age is a "guide" to be used for your training.

• No one is questioning the purpose of fitness age. The problem is that it's being calculated incorrectly based on the wrong data.

• OK, I installed the new software, and Fitness Age shows up, but it says I have no Fitness Age.  A message says I need Vo2 Max, Resting Heart Rate, and BMI.

In Garmin Connect on my iPhone, I see resting heart rate set at 50, and Based On as "% Max."

I see VO2 Max as 39 on the Edge 1040 ("excellent" for my age of 78, it says).

I have entered my height and weight in my user settings.  Is this sufficient for calculating BMI?

Do I need to go out for a ride in order to have a Fitness Age appear?  I have several activities already saved on the 1040.

• Fitness age appeared after one or two rides in my case, although many trainings were done before.
    Not sure if fitness age calculation requires a power-meter. I am using Rally RS200 powermeters.

BMI is a unitless number that uses this formula: BMI = Weight / (Height²) where weight is in kg and height in m. So yes, this is sufficient.

I assume, unless you are not using a Garmin watch with heart rate sensor, your fitness age will be calculates wrong (as in this thread described) as Garmin uses the avg. HR of your last trainings as your RHR. So it's not worth looking at until they fixed that. 

I sincerely hope that Garmin is monitoring this forum and are aware of the problem.