This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Category colors gone in Garmin Connect Web Calendar :-(

As of this morning, the Calendar in Garmin Connect Web no longer shows different colors for different activities (running, swimming, strength training, etc), making it very hard to get a quick overview of my training history. Sure, there's the little pictograms, but that doesn't work nearly as well for getting an overview as a color scheme.

Does anyone know if coloring the different activities is still somehow possible?

To me, this seems the most moronic UI change imaginable. :-(

• The reply I received from Garmin was very non-committal and generic.
    Has anyone heard anything more meaningful or positive?

I continue to dislike this change.

• Well, I have just noticed that Garmin have changed the colouring a bit today on the calendar. STILL not much help though. All I seem to have is some activities with a red line to the left of them and some have the green line.

GARMIN, PLEASE BRING BACK THE COLOURING OF THE WHOLE BOX LIKE YOU HAD BEFORE!  The current way of doing it is still not much help. I am still struggling to find the difference between difference activity categories! 

• I've spent a good deal of time with Garmin support discussing this issue and the reasoning behind it. Unfortunately, they've been quite obtuse. Reportedly the "old" color scheme, which most of us here STRONGLY preferred, was somehow noncompliant with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). I'm a physician. I understand colorblindness and the ADA. However, I am unable to believe that the ADA requires monochromic website presentations. One of my best friends in med school is color blind, and when he commented on my pretty new purple suede shoes (it was the 80's!) I asked how he knew they were purple. His response: "I know what you people call 'purple.'"  Fun story for me, but it illustrates that color blindness does not necessarily completely impede someone's ability to distinguish/differentiate all colors. I also understand that perhaps changing the available color choices might have been appropriate. I have not been able to get a straight answer about why they have removed the ability to have more than one color choice available for us to personalize our experiences with their software. Moreover, given the massive "ding" on their reputation when they failed to adequately communicate during the week-long blackout a few months ago, I would have thought they'd be incredibly sensitive to communication, customer satisfaction and response, and PR in general. 

• very interesting; thx for info! agree with you though, not sure how the ability to manage our own colors (as it was before) doesn't comply with ADA. those who are color blind can choose red/green, black/white, or whatever as they'd like and those of us who aren't, can do what we want. that seems like the most obvious and most compliant choice vs. forcing ALL of us to comply with a 2-color system for a small % of the population. "Colour (colorblindness (colour vision deficiency, or CVD) affects approximately 1 in 12 men (8%) and 1 in 200 women in the world." wake up garmin!

• Yup, hirorillo. I shared my message below as an email directly to product support and will share if I get a response. 

• I noticed the slightly improved coloring too. I could live with the thin line (instead of coloring the whole box), as long as the colors for different activities are clearly different (and preferably, I get to pick the colors myself, as it used to be). Currently, swimming shows as blue, hiking as red, and running and strength training have an indistinguishable dark orange color that is awfully close to the red used for hiking. So: close, but no cigar. I think we should take this all the way up to the supreme court. :-)

• Right?! No sense wasting the fired up momentum! Wink

• I just got this response from Product Support: We were also trying to simplify and be more consistent with the colors across our applications. However due to the feedback received we have opened a case and you will get a notification once  an update is available that will allow you to see different colors for different activities.

• Agree that it's gone in the right direction, but the red and "orange" are still too close.  And i can't distinguish between the green for biking and the green for walking.

I wish they hadn't "fixed" something that wasn't broken...