This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Active Calories Wrong After Update to 15.0

Fenix 5 user experiencing issues with active calorie totals after updating to software version 15.0.  The active calories for my activities (running, cardio session, etc) is calculated correctly and shown accurately in the activity summary, but my overall active calories for the day aren’t including all the active calories from my activities. Anyone else experiencing this problem after the latest software update? 

Top Replies

All Replies

• Problem seems to be with the connect platform.

Calories are actually calculated directly on the device, based on the HR and HR Variability values during the activity, and depedning also on the ratio HR / average Resting HR. If you suddenly see different levels of Calories burned during an Activity, while you did not change any settings in your User Profile, then the most likely reason is the improperly acquired Resting HR (perhaps you did not wear the watch in the preceding night), or a failure of the HRM during the activity (false HR, or periods without any HR detected).

• You misunderstand. It’s not the registering that’s causing the issue. It’s the math on the platform. Today I did a bike ride burning 2790 cal. The total active calories burned on the platform states 2532. That is the real issue. Not to mention the other screw ups with using two different devices on one platform which isn’t even a third party. So excellent description of how calories are being calculated, but totally irrelevant. Thanks for responding though! 

• Today I did a bike ride burning 2790 cal. The total active calories burned on the platform states 2532

One does not exclude other. Looks perfectly OK. The Calories burned during any activity have two components

Total Calories burned during an activity = RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) for the time of the activity + Active Calories

And if you prefere having it explained in details, here you go:

If your RMR is 1900 kcal, and the activity took for example 155 minutes, the the passive part of the activity calories would be 155*1900/(24*60) = 204.5 kcal (just an example, sine I do not know your RMR, or the duration of the concerned activity).

The rest are the Active Calories for given day, but the daily total of Active Calories include not only the logged activities of given day, but also any other kind of energy burned over the RMR - coming from all the physical and mental activity during the day. Hence the daily Active Calories are always higher than the sum of the active parts of Activity Calories (unless you do a 24hr activity).

Please note, that you have to strictly differentiate between Active Calories (calories burned over RMR), and Activity Calories (all calories burned during an activity, including RMR).

It is all explained on Garmin's website too: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=lkl4cwCLlK7ox362uGQEV7

• And if you prefere having it explained in details, here you go:

I already tried that. Several times in this thread, actually. They do not want to listen. They want to keep believing that they see a problem.

• If there are more people experiencing the same problem, maybe just maybe the issue lies with the platform, the devices or both and not with these people. Why don’t you try and explain that.

No reply necessary. 

• Why don’t you try and explain that.

It was already explained. There is no problem in the software. There is a problem in understadning the data you see, and the inability to accept that Activity Calories are NOT equal to Active Calories.

So perhpas the solution from the side of Garmin would be using different terms, so that people stop confusing these two completely different values.

• No reply necessary. 

Don't worry. I am a patient person and I am willing to invest a little more time in making you understand.

Try this:

1. In the indoor running activity on the watch, enable the Calories data field. 

2. Sit down on your couch while watching some boring TV (so your heart rate doesn't increase too much).

3. While sitting there, start an indoor running activity on the watch and let it record for a few hours.

4. Watch the Calories field on the watch. Does it stay at 0, as it should if it was counting active calories? Or does it count up, equal to your BMR?

5. Think

• Same problem with me I have a Garmin Fenix 6X Pro Solar, today I used 464 calories on treadmill running and 1428 Calories walking so the daily active calorie total count should be 1892. But its not the daily total active count on the Garmin connect app shows 1599. Something wrong.

• Something wrong.

No, it is not. It is correct. You apparently did not read the answers explaining it.

• ok thanks for the explanation