Outdated OSM on Garmin Connect (Web)

We keep getting updated OSM maps on the devices but Garmin Connect (web) still uses a very old version with many trails and streets missing.  Will Garmin ever update it? It's a little annoying looking at your activities seeing paths in the middle of nowhere even though OSM has all the trails.

• True, they have a copy of the OSM on their server: connectosm16.azureedge.net and it's really outdated already.

Headers for PNG map images show this: last-modified: Sat, 01 Apr 2017.

The Heatmap also uses OSM for drawing paths - not the same version as we see on the map, but still some quite old version. So some heat is missing - as users can't make heat on paths not added to the copy of the OSM.

It's served from: connecttile.garmin.com. But it doesn't show the last-modified header, so can't check how old those images are.

So:

1. There should be clear last updated date. Users should know if they look on current or outdated map.

2. The copy of the OSM and the Heatmap should be updated more often. 2+ years is way too long.

3. Is it really necessary to have a static copy of the OSM? Other websites have current OSM, updated shortly after any changes made to the OSM.

• Hi,

When we could use native openstreetmap maps for planning route?

The actual maps don't contain sufficient detail for planning a route in mountain

Thanks

Sorry, I don't know if with garmin is it possible (and where) make a request to improvement. So I make this my request

• OpenStreetMaps are available in Garmin Connect Web (even on a phone). For suggestions use the URL https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

• Ok the map is OSM, but not the layout.

Layout that use garmin doesn't see many details, like mountain hute, pass, peeak and many other POI!

The layout is very poor

• OSM here is a copy served from: connectosm16.azureedge.net with only one style and it's highly outdated.

A lot paths/roads changed. Current official OSM already have some areas fully covered, but here those areas are empty. So for hiking a copy of OSM from garmin is really bad.

Yes, would be nice to have better layout, but I wouldn't count for that, as they even don't update this one.

What's strange - garmin use OSM's paths for generating HeatMap, and they updated it this year. So, to see OSM here, turn on GoogleMaps + HeatMap, this way more used paths from OSM will be visible.

But better just download program like JOSM and open GPX file. It displays a lot of maps (also aerial) and allows editing OSM, so you can add missing paths using GPS.

• Ok, I'm an active editor of OSM (I do over 1000 changes); my area are very detailed. I don't know why Garmin doesn't use OSM currently update!.

But although this problem, I found very useful the planner.

Also because I can't found a real alternative...

• Also because I can't found a real alternative...

Have a look for example at Plotaroute.com. You can use not only OSM, but also a number of other maps, and it has many useful features you won't find in GC. The advantage is also that you can export the course in the Garmin native FIT file format, and place it directly on the Garmin device, without having to import it manually through Garmin Connect (avoiding so that GC screws up the elevation profile, that it oterwise unevitably will do).

• I haven't seen it before!

At first glance seems very good!

Thanks

• The map data Garmin Connect serves up seems to be ridiculously out of date.

In my area there's a new park with a new trail system. I want to define courses on that trail system and download them onto my Forerunner 945. The easiest way for me to do that is via the web version of Garmin Connect.

Garmin Connect offers map data from Google Maps, HERE Maps, and Open Street Maps, but of those three only OSM seems to have trail data with any kind of richness. Yet the OSM data served from Garmin Connect seems to be ridiculously old. Years old. Trails that I can see on openstreetmaps.org are nowhere to be found on Garmin Connect. If I edit OSM and add a trail, Strava will pick it up within a week, but Garmin Connect isn't showing edits from more than eighteen months ago.

So the only way to put courses on my watch with current trail data is to define a route in Strava, and then import that into Garmin.

Which is ridiculous.

• Yes, it's a copy and they update it quite rarely, some more info about updates and layers. Other maps are direct.

For the display layer you can make a simple redirect add-on to change requests from connectcache20.azureedge.net to original OSM website, this way you can see the newest tiles directly. But this won't change data for creating courses, so you would need to draw by hand, for paths added after an update.