This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Request for sprint activity type (20m up to 400m)

Hi,

I have a Garmin Forerunner 945 and it is a very nice sportwatch.

However as a sprinter athlete (100m and 200m), run activity type is not exactly covering my needs.

In particular, I would like to be able to use an activity type dedicated to Sprint covering starting block workouts (to practice on the drive phase, let's say 20m to 40-50m) as well as longer distances up to 400m.

Here are features that I can think on right now:

- briefly increase the frequency of GPS acquisition (more than 1 point per second for the time of each sprint). That should not be a huge battery drain as a sprint does not last long (always less than 1 minute).

- allow the measurement of the ground contact only during sprints and not the full activity, which may include large rest periods. Be able to consult such data on the watch and not only through the web interface.

- give an estimate on the stride length, velocity and acceleration anytime during a Sprint (data fusion between GPS and accelerometer data?)

- be able to start a lap/stopwatch/sprint analysis by detecting a sudden acceleration due to the arms moving. I would imagine to press the lap button while in ready position, which would tell the watch to be in standby until there is a sudden acceleration, then automatically trigger the "sprint" mode.

I don't know if Garmin will ever implement such features but I would be glad to use it and also very thankful. Sprinter are only a small fraction of the entire runner population so I am not expecting Garmin to ever consider my request, but at least I asked Slight smile

• I support this request. Training for the following short distance running events: 100m, 200 ... 400... and 800 meters. Need an app where at minimum you can set lap distance and alerts for these distances. The current running app the minimum distance that can be set is 250m. I’m using the Vivoactive HR.

Thanks

• I know it's been 3 months, but has anyone submitted a request via the Garmin Share Ideas page?

• Mostly good ideas, though some of them may not be easily possible due to the technological limitations. For example, the increasing of the GPS sampling frequency won't help much to improve the limits of the GPS technology.

The accuracy of GPS is around 5m for specialized GPS non-military devices, and often worse, depending on the conditions, especially at devices as miniaturized as the watch. With Glonass it is around the same. It is safer to count with the accuracy of 10-20m. For metering distances as short as 20, 40, or even 100 or 200m, it may be a major hindrance.

Although there is a hope for 2020 (or perhaps in 2025) in Galileo, which is planned to improve the theoretical accuracy to 1m (public), it is a question how well, and when exactly it will really start working.

In any case,  is right when recommending to submit it directly to Garmin, since it is rather unlikely that someone from Garmin will ever see it here. 

• I don't know if Garmin will ever implement such features but I would be glad to use it and also very thankful. Sprinter are only a small fraction of the entire runner population so I am not expecting Garmin to ever consider my request, but at least I asked

I am afraid that you are right, and it would be even irresponsible from a global company like Garmin to prioritize features for small groups, over improvements concerning the majority. However, exactly for that purpose, to satisfy diverse needs of smaller communities, in the recent generation of their devices, they introduced the Connect IQ technology. Connect IQ is open to 3rd party developers, hence nothing can prevent a smaller community like yours, to fund the development of an application that would satisfy their needs. Even better would be finding someone from within your community, who would be able to develop it, because he would know the best, what is really needed.

So instead of waiting for the reply from Garmin (that will likely never come), you better look around in your community for someone willing to work on it, or find someone for example on the developer forum.

• Agree this would be awesome! thanks.

• I would love this as well, I have been using the interval run setting on track runs at the moment but they will only go down to 100m in distance.

Its nice that we can track max speed now but would love to see what else the forunner range could do with the short stuff.

• Hi, I know that this post is really old but I would like to know if the answered you in this 2 years. I'm looking for the same features on my Garmin. 

• Sorry, no update so far.

I think we'll never have such features from Garmin, unfortunately. The potential market is too small to be worth it I guess.